Found something suspicious, not sure what to do

Today we went out to do a little caching, and at one of the locations we found a black canvas bag, not very big, weighed down with rocks.

Sent the Mr. in to investigate (I draw the line at stuff like that) and when he moved the rocks off of it he noted that it smelled like something decomposing in it.

We figure that someone probably took an animal there and placed the rocks on top of it to keep other animals from getting in to it, but we're not sure, and we sure as he** didn't open the bag to see what was in it ^_^:D:) !

The area was a former shooting range and covered with stones and boulders, and the cache that is there is listed in the hint as under a root... this black bag was under a root, as well, but after getting home tonight and checking the spoiler hints it was definitely not the cache!

We're in Sweden, there aren't a lot of kidnappings or missing people around here, but I'm American and my gut tells me to contact the cops to have them check it out. The Swede, though, figures it's just a pet that someone put out there instead of burying (but why would someone go through that trouble?) and is content with that thought.

So... call the cops or leave it be?

Today we went out to do a little caching, and at one of the locations we found a black canvas bag, not very big, weighed down with rocks.

Sent the Mr. in to investigate (I draw the line at stuff like that) and when he moved the rocks off of it he noted that it smelled like something decomposing in it.

We figure that someone probably took an animal there and placed the rocks on top of it to keep other animals from getting in to it, but we're not sure, and we sure as he** didn't open the bag to see what was in it ^_^:D:) !

The area was a former shooting range and covered with stones and boulders, and the cache that is there is listed in the hint as under a root... this black bag was under a root, as well, but after getting home tonight and checking the spoiler hints it was definitely not the cache!

We're in Sweden, there aren't a lot of kidnappings or missing people around here, but I'm American and my gut tells me to contact the cops to have them check it out. The Swede, though, figures it's just a pet that someone put out there instead of burying (but why would someone go through that trouble?) and is content with that thought.

Why not call the police just in case it turns out to be something that warranted their attention, such as human body parts?

I agree . . . it's probably a pet that someone was too lazy to bury properly. From what you describe, it is too small to be a human . . . unless it's just a head. :D:):D

It might be best to report it, if for no other reason than to ease your mind.

We figure that someone probably took an animal there and placed the rocks on top of it to keep other animals from getting in to it, but we're not sure, and we sure as he** didn't open the bag to see what was in it :)^_^:D !

Call the Police! give em somthin to do!

If you don't want to involve the cops then go back and open the bag. If you aren't willing to open the bag... call the cops. Obviously something dead is in the bag, and it was dumped there intentionally. If you aren't going to bury something, why put it in a bag and weigh it down?

Seems weird. I say tell the authorities (I'd open the bag, but I have issues).

:D^_^:)

If you don't want to involve the cops then go back and open the bag. If you aren't willing to open the bag... call the cops. Obviously something dead is in the bag, and it was dumped there intentionally. If you aren't going to bury something, why put it in a bag and weigh it down?

Seems weird. I say tell the authorities (I'd open the bag, but I have issues).

^_^:):D

:D

Hmph....can't a person just hide a body without some cacher nosing around asking questions? I put....I mean, he put rocks over it. That should be enough. Where'd you say you lived again? Is it that house over by....well, never mind. ^_^

Seriously, though. If it's a small bag, I'd say leave it alone because it wouldn't be a whole person anyway. It might be an animal. But I would contact the cache owner and make sure that this was not supposed to be the cache container. If it is, then someone either left a food item in it or someone decided to be extremely foul and menacing by putting something gross inside.

On the other hand, if you do call the cops [if they are anything like the U.S.] they would be obligated to check it out and even if it's not a body, they'll remove it from the cache area. Then other cachers won't have to stumble across it.

Small enough to not be a GROWN-UP...but.....I'd have the LEO check it out.

Yeah, mother-in-law mentioned the baby/child thing, too...

Gonna give the non-emergency cop shop number a call tomorrow and put it in their hands!

I did drop the cache owner a message and noted it in the log, too!

It as an animal, small dog or cat.

Advanced putrification, Mr tossed his cookies after checking it.

Just couldn't leave it with a clear conscience without checking it to be sure. Mr was majorly stressing that we might have to call the police to come, talk about relief to find those animal teeth and nothing human!

You gotta love a man who will toss his cookies over a dead animal for you. :P

Is kind of romantic, huh! :anibad:

Ahhh! Love is in the air. Either that or the rotting smell from yonder bag and the pucrid vomitous that covers it like a lovely multi-colored blanket.

Okay I need sleep these 15 hours a day working during the weekend is not fun.

Just couldn't leave it with a clear conscience without checking it to be sure. Mr was majorly stressing that we might have to call the police to come, talk about relief to find those animal teeth and nothing human!

Did you take it home with you? :anibad:

Would you have taken it home with you, blech!

It stank to high heavens, there was NO way I was putting that in my car, don't you watch CSI, Knight, lol :anibad:? That stink doesn't come out of stuff!

We reburied it with stones and left a note on the cache log that it was there. Hopefully the owner of the cache will note it in the cache description.

Ni'night, ATM775, get some rest!

We figure that someone probably took an animal there and placed the rocks on top of it to keep other animals from getting in to it, but we're not sure, and we sure as he** didn't open the bag to see what was in it :anibad::P:) !

I agree . . . it's probably a pet that someone was too lazy to bury properly. From what you describe, it is too small to be a human . . . unless it's just a head. :D:D:D

It might be best to report it, if for no other reason than to ease your mind.

it could be dog s*** you dont know i'd call the cops to be on the safe side what about you B)

There was an incident in our area where a cacher came upon what appeared to be an abandoned campsite in a state park. It was not in a designated camping area and it was difficult to tell when the owner(s) had been there, if they were still there, etc. It was reported to the park authorities and they investigated. They finally determined that it belonged to someone from the other side of the country who had been there the previous year and had abandoned his possessions. However, the park authorities told a group of us local cachers that they needed the help of us and others who use the park to be their eyes and ears. They asked us, if we ever ran across anything suspicious, to [a] do not disturb it, get the coordinates of it, [c] don't trample the area; leave by the same route that you came in, and [d] get the information to them, along with your contact info, as soon as possible. You may have stumbled upon a crime scene without realizing it. If so, it needs to be preserved and the authorities notified. If in doubt, call the police,park rangers, etc.

Edited by Arnold Evrkachen

Apparently Mr. S DID open the bag to check on the contents..... he found there were animal teeth, rather than something that appeared to be human remains.