Translating coordinates from map to GPS

I am trying to figure out a method to translate areas from a map to a GPS.

For example, when I hike in wilderness areas that have no signage I would like to know the lat/lon of a trail intersection so I can mark a waypoint on my GPS.

I have been successful in finding a trail map that has UTM coordinates on it. But I am confused about how to input these types of coordinates without messing up the DD MM SS ones I have in there already.

I am trying to figure out a method to translate areas from a map to a GPS.

For example, when I hike in wilderness areas that have no signage I would like to know the lat/lon of a trail intersection so I can mark a waypoint on my GPS.

I have been successful in finding a trail map that has UTM coordinates on it. But I am confused about how to input these types of coordinates without messing up the DD MM SS ones I have in there already.

You don't state what software you are using, but you should be able to change the position details from DD MM SS to UTM in the software preferences. The software will do the translation for you.

If you are using a Garmin receiver with MapSource...

In MapSource, go to Edit/Preferences

Select the tab for Position

Note which position format is currently being used

Change the Grid to UTM

Leave the Datum at WGS84

Now when you set a waypoint in MapSource, you will enter the coordinates in UTM format. Once you have created your new waypoint in UTM format, repeat the steps above, but change the Grid back to what it was originally. Your UTM waypoint details will now be displayed as DD MM SS.

Your GPSs will do this translation for you as well under the set up screens. The specific steps will depend on your specific unit.

Happy Mapping!

If you haven't already seen http://www.maptools.com I think you'll find it useful when working with UTM coordinates.

Keep in mind that you can change the coordinate style on your GPS without affecting/damaging any of the waypoints already stored. The GPS does the conversions for you.

Don't forget to also change the GPS's datum setting to match that of the map you are using.