inappropriate cache items

flask

ok, folks. some of the other threads got me to thinking: if each cacher trashes out what he or she finds offensive or generally inappropriate, what's left in the cache?

i do not wish to have a debate here, but simply for you to note which items on the list of cache contents you would remove as inappropriate. as the list dwindles, i'll re-post with the changes.

DIRECTIONS

-read the list.

-decide which single item seems to you to be the most inappropriate.

-post the one item to this thread. please do not editorialize; there are at least two open threads where people are editorializing.

if you feel that i've missed some common or worrisome cache contents, please feel free to send me a message and i'll add it to the list. my list is by no means exhaustive and if you have in mind items that are either appropriate or inappropriate, they should be included. if you feel an item is offensive to you and you don't want to be publicly identified, you may contact me and i'll post your entry anonymously.

it is my hope that the most worrisome or offensive items will leave the list first.

CACHE CONTENTS

logbook

ballpoint pen

felt tip pen

rollerball pen

pencil

ziplocs

mctoys, clean

mctoys, broken

golf balls, new

golf balls, used

golf tees, new (packaged)

golf tees, new (loose)

golf tees, used

golf tees, broken

matches, book

matches, boxed

matches, safety

match holder, empty

lighter, usable

lighter, disabled

pocketknife

multitool with knife

multitool without knife

eyeglass repair kit

small screwdriver set

scratchoff lottery tickets

ammunition, any caliber

spent brass

coupon to big store (under $2)

coupon to cafe near cache

gift card (over $2)

advertising brochures

political brochures

political buttons

books, fiction

books, nonfiction

books, adult content

bible

koran

torah

miniature talmud

i ching

tarot deck

book of mormon

bhagavad-gita

religious tract, soft (simply a prayer or inspirational thought)

religious tract, hard (tells you a specific way or else.)

rosary beads

silver pentacle

cross

mogen david

food, perishable

food, unwrapped

food, wrapped

food, canned or otherwise preserved and sealed

hamster, live (sorry, lep.)

hamster, freshly dead

hamster, very dead

candles, scented

candes, unscented

lip balm, opened

lip balm, unopened

sunscreen, communal (belongs to the cache)

sunscreen, regular (trade item)

bug dope, communal

bug dope, regular

first aid kit, communal

first aid kit, regular

feminine hygiene products, clean and wrapped (either as what they are or as first aid supplies)

prophylactics, new and packaged

emergency toilet paper rolls

firestarter

emergency blanket

handwarmers

compass

alcoholic beverage

coupon for alcoholic beverage

promotional material for alcoholic beverage (hats, keychains, etc.)

tobacco product

coupon for tobacco product

promotional material for tobacco product

OTC drugs (e.g., ibuprofen)

prescription drugs

illegal drugs

drug paraphenalia

clothing or other items that refer to illegal drugs

recorded music

illegally recorded music (this includes that awesome mix tape.)

software

out-of-date software

software sent free to you in the mail

illegal copies of software

material that is derogatory to any specific group of people based on membership in that group (this is often used to mean both racial or ethnic groups and membership in voluntary organizations. e.g., blacks, hispanics, muslims, presbyterians, armenians, military personnel, log cabin republicans, what-have-you.)

cito bags

objects or printed material of a suggestive sexual nature

objects or printed material of an explicit sexual nature

miscellaneous scented items

rubber gloves

polonium or other highly radioactive material

Edited by flask

Of the things that have not been mentioned yet, I would remove this:

material that is derogatory to any specific group of people based on membership in that group (this is often used to mean both racial or ethnic groups and membership in voluntary organizations. e.g., blacks, hispanics, muslims, presbyterians, armenians, military personnel, log cabin republicans, what-have-you.)

Unless you rework the list to remove the items that are clearly illegal, then it would be bogus to try to pick one.

My vote would be to remove any and all clearly illegal items, do that and the rest of the thread could be very interesting. However, with the list you have it sounds more like whining then really wanting to know what is offensive. (IMHO)

If everything illegal, (either by law, or TPTB) was removed from this list, there is little if anything I would remove from someone else's cache. And only a few I would remove from my own cache on a maintenance run.

Unless you rework the list to remove the items that are clearly illegal, then it would be bogus to try to pick one.

My vote would be to remove any and all clearly illegal items, do that and the rest of the thread could be very interesting. However, with the list you have it sounds more like whining then really wanting to know what is offensive. (IMHO)

If everything illegal, (either by law, or TPTB) was removed from this list, there is little if anything I would remove from someone else's cache. And only a few I would remove from my own cache on a maintenance run.

the idea is just to see what gets removed first and what, if anything gets left. anything you perceive that's not purely scientific is satirical (e.g., hamsters). if the rest of the thread would be interesting without the illegal items, remove one and you're on your way!

i tried to make the list broad to inclue the wide variety of things people report seeing in caches. i will be happy to modify the list to add things that you (collective "you") think i've missed (e.g., hamsters).

whining. huh.

I Liak Youar Liste GGoode Lasst. I fathefully trie to Lieve eaCH item onn Urre List in CatschseS I find Heare. Alllso, I alsoe oftan leev fully-cookad prepared meels packed into continer of Rubbermide Alsoe and AlsO usid Proscrippun Druges (Pilles And Needdill Shotts) and uside haff-Emptiy Enima Botttils for tha nixt Finder of catche. It is alle Gooodbecauz pepil liak theas thaing whatas problum wit dat, yuew knoaw wee liv in Free Wirld weeare all Frie, frie as the Birds; thas why I leev Tham.

This post composed and authenticated using Anti-Spell Check ver. 2.3.1, Anti-Grammar Check ver. 1.0.9, Anti-Semantics Check ver. 3.5.1, Anti-Sanity Check ver. 6.6.6 and Anti-Semioitics Check ver. 1.0.1

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

whining. huh.

Was the alcoholic beverage whine?

You didn't say that, I thought it was an airline bottle of rum. ^_^

If the whine was a good whine I would leave it in there and add cheese to the cache, maybe some grapes also. I would only do that if there were no hamsters in the cache because the hamsters would probably nibble on the cheese and grapes.

I can't believe the tobacco is still in the cache. I was able to quit smoking about two years ago (thanks to geocaching) and I have removed cigarettes from a cache.

I Liak Youar Liste GGoode Lasst. I fathefully trie to Lieve eaCH item onn Urre List in CatschseS I find Heare. Alllso, I alsoe oftan leev fully-cookad prepared meels packed into continer of Rubbermide Alsoe and AlsO usid Proscrippun Druges (Pilles And Needdill Shotts) and uside haff-Emptiy Enima Botttils for tha nixt Finder of catche. It is alle Gooodbecauz pepil liak theas thaing whatas problum wit dat, yuew knoaw wee liv in Free Wirld weeare all Frie, frie as the Birds; thas why I leev Tham.

This post composed and authenticated using Anti-Spell Check ver. 2.3.1, Anti-Grammar Check ver. 1.0.9, Anti-Semantics Check ver. 3.5.1, Anti-Sanity Check ver. 6.6.6 and Anti-Semoitics Check ver. 1.0.1

dat was funy! ^_^ Edited by TrailGators

This post composed and authenticated using Anti-Spell Check ver. 2.3.1, Anti-Grammar Check ver. 1.0.9, Anti-Semantics Check ver. 3.5.1, Anti-Sanity Check ver. 6.6.6 and Anti-Semoitics Check ver. 1.0.1

oh, man. that is just so wrong, on so many levels. do you do that to other posters, or did you save it for me? that just made my head hurt. it's worse than trying to read chaucer in the small print edition with a hangover.

i have been hit by lightning. i have been run over by a truck. and now i have read your post. i'm not sure which was worse.

it's sweet of you to write in.

*big smooch*

ballpoint pen

This is actually the item I find myself most often removing from caches. They usually have "frozen" up and no longer work and they will eventually start to leak ink all over the log and everything else in the cache if they are not removed and/or replaced.

CACHE CONTENTS

loggook

I think I'd best remove taht log-gook, that worries me. gook? It musta got really wet. Will replace with new log Book. ^_^

And all the knives. I'd be hard pressed to choose between knives and matches but you said one so I pick knives. Replaced the log-gook so I won't count that.

Written material I won't worry about til last cuz if you're old enough to be upset about it you're old enough to trash it and most kids don't want to read anything dumb or serious if they have knives or matches to play with instead. :)

oh, man. that is just so wrong, on so many levels. do you do that to other posters, or did you save it for me? that just made my head hurt. it's worse than trying to read chaucer in the small print edition with a hangover.

i have been hit by lightning. i have been run over by a truck. and now i have read your post. i'm not sure which was worse.

it's sweet of you to write in.

*big smooch*

:D:D^_^:):D:)

(and a big smooch to you, too!)

P.S. I have been itching to try out my new Anti-Spell Check, Anti-Grammar Check, Anti-Semantics Check, Anti-Sanity Check and Anti-Semioitics Check software package on this forum for a month now, and gee, this thread seemed like a good place to try out the software for its maiden voyage. Hope you enjoyed the trip. It was a bit bumpy at times, I guess. sigh. :D

a good list, except for some of the obvious, I think a lot of the things hear have been found in caches. My 1 remove would be the live ammo - I did too many stupid things with it when I was little to want it left around willy nilly. (I don't really want to take off all the sharp edges but just the razor sharp ones.

Bwmick

Oooooh oooooh! There are other things on that list that just have to go. Can I play again . . . ? :)
He should wipe out everything that is illegal or clearly violates the guideloines. Then the list might actually be educational. ^_^

it'll be educational sooner or later. and amusing at the same time, if we're lucky.

actually, it's educational now, if you're interested to see which choices people make first.

and sure, if other people have played, play again by all means.

candles, scented

I always remove any scented stuff from caches, whether it is a car air freshener, motel soap packages, perfume bottles, or candles, scented. :D

The trick is carrying it back out without toxifying my other stuff . . . :)

Oooops . . . is that too much editorializing . . . ^_^

ok, folks. some of the other threads got me to thinking: if each cacher trashes out what he or she finds offensive or generally inappropriate, what's left in the cache?

i do not wish to have a debate here, but simply for you to note which items on the list of cache contents you would remove as inappropriate. as the list dwindles, i'll re-post with the changes.

DIRECTIONS

-read the list.

-decide which single item seems to you to be the most inappropriate.

-post the one item to this thread. please do not editorialize; there are at least two open threads where people are editorializing.

if you feel that i've missed some common or worrisome cache contents, please feel free to send me a message and i'll add it to the list. my list is by no means exhaustive and if you have in mind items that are either appropriate or inappropriate, they should be included. if you feel an item is offensive to you and you don't want to be publicly identified, you may contact me and i'll post your entry anonymously.

it is my hope that the most worrisome or offensive items will leave the list first.

CACHE CONTENTS

logbook

ballpoint pen

felt tip pen

rollerball pen

pencil

ziplocs

mctoys, clean

mctoys, broken

golf balls, new

golf balls, used

golf tees, new (loose)

golf tees, used

golf tees, broken

matches, book

matches, boxed

matches, safety

match holder, empty

lighter, usable

lighter, disabled

pocketknife

multitool with knife

multitool without knife

eyeglass repair kit

small screwdriver set

ammunition, any caliber

spent brass

gift card (over $2)

advertising brochures

political brochures

political buttons

books, fiction

books, nonfiction

books, adult content

bible

koran

torah

miniature talmud

i ching

tarot deck

book of mormon

bhagavad-gita

rosary beads

silver pentacle

cross

mogen david

[s]food, perishable[/s]

food, unwrapped

food, wrapped

hamster, freshly dead

hamster, very dead

candles, scented

candes, unscented

lip balm, opened

lip balm, unopened

sunscreen, communal (belongs to cache)

bug dope, communal

bug dope, regular

first aid kit, communal

first aid kit, regular

feminine hygiene products, clean and wrapped (either as what they are or as first aid supplies)

firestarter

emergency blanket

handwarmers

alcoholic beverage

tobacco product

illegal drugs

drug paraphenalia

recorded music

software

out-of-date software

cito bags

I am the Cache Police,

I would take out

logbook

ballpoint pen

felt tip pen

rollerball pen

pencil

ziplocs

mctoys, clean

mctoys, broken

golf balls, new

golf balls, used

golf tees, new (loose)

golf tees, used

golf tees, broken

matches, book

matches, boxed

matches, safety

match holder, empty

lighter, usable

lighter, disabled

pocketknife

multitool with knife

multitool without knife

eyeglass repair kit

small screwdriver set

ammunition, any caliber

spent brass

gift card (over $2)

advertising brochures

political brochures

political buttons

books, fiction

books, nonfiction

books, adult content

bible

koran

torah

miniature talmud

i ching

tarot deck

book of mormon

bhagavad-gita

rosary beads

silver pentacle

cross

mogen david

food, perishable

food, unwrapped

food, wrapped

hamster, freshly dead

hamster, very dead

candles, scented

candes, unscented

lip balm, opened

lip balm, unopened

sunscreen, communal (belongs to cache)

bug dope, communal

bug dope, regular

first aid kit, communal

first aid kit, regular

firestarter

emergency blanket

handwarmers

alcoholic beverage

tobacco product

illegal drugs

drug paraphenalia

recorded music

software

out-of-date software

cito bags

In all seriousness I would take out the food unwrapped.

It's so got to be the very dead hamster next!!!! unless it's a skeleton and then it may be of scientific interest to an 8 yr old :) would have to pull a CITO bag too to hide it in lol. Would 'dump' party poppers/streamers(cos they really bug me), rubber gloves(cos by the time you get to THIS cache your sure gonna need them) , smelling salts(to revive you from the pong of the recently exhumed hamster!!!)

A very FUN thread and it's the weekend lol ^_^

I can't believe the tobacco is still in the cache. I was able to quit smoking about two years ago (thanks to geocaching) and I have removed cigarettes from a cache.
Reminds me of something I removed recently:

A Nicorete Patch, expired around 2002. First, not something a kid should find. Second, the patch was in a cache that hadn't been in place as long as the patch was expired, so it must have been bad when it went in, thus it was junk when it was put in. ^_^

My short answer: I'd remove ANY drugs, even baby aspirin.

The tobacco products are the worst on my list, most people are sensible enough to stay away from hard drugs and sensible enough o make choices on soft drugs, but cigarettes should not be freely distributed, it is the most likely for a child to pick out and use. But in reality i would remove several id say the hamster is the second on my list.

I like to leave highly radioactive Polonium inside of caches. I notice this isn't on your list. Does that make this okay?

my list contains items that may be acceptable or not acceptable. it is simply a list of things that might go in a cache. to help you catch on here, i will tell you that the struck items represent the ones people said should not go in caches.

since polonium is on your good list, i'll just add it. i'm guessing that like the hamsters, someone will choose to strike it.

This post composed and authenticated using Anti-Spell Check ver. 2.3.1, Anti-Grammar Check ver. 1.0.9, Anti-Semantics Check ver. 3.5.1, Anti-Sanity Check ver. 6.6.6 and Anti-Semioitics Check ver. 1.0.1

^_^ Aaaaaahhhhhh!! My eyes! My eyes! They burn! **wordnerd checks into hospital

Let's toss the opened lip balm (eeew).

We did that just the other day. I can't imagine anyone ever thinking that was a good idea.

As for which one I would take, I can't pick one, I just can't! I know you didn't want editorial and I apologize. I'm not good at those tests with the black and white answers, either. I always think "But what about this gray area, here, where it could be this some of the time, and that the rest of the time"

In a real-life situation, it I came across a cache like that, there are several items I would remove immediately. I would probably add some swag back to keep from depleting the cache.

It was a tough decision, but I'm taking out the unscented candles.

If you're interested, the lip balm (either one) was a close second/third.

It's well over 100 in the shade here in the low desert, and the interior of that cache is getting up to about 160 around 1400 Hrs. (yes, really!)

That melted wax is going to make a big mess, and pretty much wreck everything else in the process.

Only crayons are worse, but you didn't list them.

You also left out the 'ordinary common rock', picked up from right next to the cache.