Dream GPS

Dream GPSr ... hmmmm

I have been pondering this for some time. For a geocaching GPSr that people can afford, here is my wish list:

- Slightly bigger unit to allow for a bigger display (no, I am not talking about an eXplorist XL). Most of us have hands larger than a 10-year-old :-)

- Bigger display. Dedicate more on the front of the GPSr to the screen. Option of b/w or color models

- Better buttons. As most GPSr only have 5 or 6 buttons, real contact buttons instead of the cheaper membrane type. Option to switch buttons for left-handed or right-handed people (it just programming).

- Speaking of buttons, how about a wheel? One of the previous celphones used to have a wheel on the side to navigate through menus. Far easier than trying to scroll with buttons.

- A real anchor for a lanyard. I find it surprising that the two major manufacturing do not give a better anchor point to connect a lanyard or handstrap.

- External antenna connector. Would solve either the metallized windshield problem or better satellite reception.

- IR port. Why use a physical connection for upload/download when IR has been around for years.

- Standard SD slot. Come on, a standard SD card is not THAT big.

- AA batteries. I want a unit where I can buy a set of cheap batteries if I run out. Sure, Li-Ion battery gives good performance for weight but you need a special charger.

- Open source OS. Why not allow people to hack their own GPSr software? Just think of the cool things that would happen when real users decide what they want their GPSr to do? Obviously, keep the initial software backed up on a ROM just in case with easy restore.

Notice that most of these items could easily be done to the existing lines of GPSr manufactured with little or no extra cost. Please, lets keep the price down, as not all of us can afford a $500 unit. In fact, let's try to keep it around $100 so even new users can enjoy :-)

Edited by Fuzzywhip

I don't know why with a 2GB SD card in my GPS r why can't I load the cache page data into my GPS. I should not have to carry around a GPSr and a PalmPilot with cache page and log data on it. I should be able to click to the cache page data screen in my GPSr. When I started caching 8 months ago, I couldn't believe that this was not already in place.

I don't know why with a 2GB SD card in my GPS r why can't I load the cache page data into my GPS. I should not have to carry around a GPSr and a PalmPilot with cache page and log data on it. I should be able to click to the cache page data screen in my GPSr. When I started caching 8 months ago, I couldn't believe that this was not already in place.

Here Here!!!!

I would love for a GPS to be able to add PDA fuctionality as well!

Except for the price target this one seems to match most requests. As it runs WinCE it should be able to run Linux as well. :anibad: If the roadmap project succeeds there will be a routing software for all kinds of vector maps. A moving raster map should be possible, too. It's currently the hottest candidate to replace my crummy Garmin 60SCx in one or two years.

Let's hope this thing steps into existence and that the price drops. Together with open source software this could be a real alternative. I am eager to read a review.

Oliver

Just saw this one in the new Cabelas magazine.

BUSHNELL ONIX 400

SiRF Star III receiver

Topo maps with Doppler radar images overlaid

Satellite photos downloaded from your computer

Live XM satellite radio (with subscription of course)

Weather forecast and warnings for your location, not a distant city, with xm subscription

WAAS enabled with 20 channels

Full 3.5" color screen

Screen layering

Electronic compass

Rubber armored

That's from the magazine. Never heard of it before. Retail from Cabelas is $499.99

As for me, I still use my 15 year old Eagle AccuNav Sport. 5 channels, no maps, but puts me on top of the caches so far................

Yes I agree with you Fuzzywhip. In this day and age standard SD card slots should be made more readily available in units, rather than a SD micro. I guess they're still trying to keep weight and space down to a minimum.

yes i am not keen on the little cards i have fat fingers which makes hard to hold on to :D