HELP!GPS for a Mac

:) Just got turned on to your game by lrhark, am totally stoked, but have a major problem.

I've decided I want to go w/a Garmin. I have a Mac Powerbook G4.

I was going to buy either a Legend or a Venture @ The GPS store, but they said it is NOT compatable w/a Mac!? WTF????

I have read here in the forum of people using their GPS's w/Mac's.

Thought I'd ask for suggestions on the best, least expensive and least difficult way to hook up.

I will appreciate any and all help I can get.

TY

I am not much further down the road than you are, but I have something to share. If you have a fairly recent Mac, running a version of Mac OS X, and have a USB port, you can probably use your GPS with your Mac. There is a freeware application, GPSBabel, that will make it possible for you to download waypoints to a LOC file on your Mac, then use GPSBabel to convert the LOC file to a file your Garmin can handle.

I have a Magellan eXplorist XL, and it mounts on my Mac like any other device with USB capability. I'll bet your Garmin would do the same. After downloading waypoints, and converting them with GPSBabel, it is a simple matter to copy the converted file to the GPS device.

GPSBabel can be found here: http://www.gpsbabel.org/

There is a lot of documentation that seems rather intimidating. I found that typical of Mac software, it was pretty intuitive to use and worked fine. The interface is easy to use. I did find, however, that output directly to the device (my GPS) did not work. I had to output to a file, then copy the file to the GPS via the Mac Finder. You have to be sure the file has the right extension (such as .gs) or the device will not recognize the file. Be sure to check device-specific notes in the documentation (example, the .gs extension for my GPS -- maybe you need something else).

Good luck!

Ed

Have a PowerBook G4 and a Legend CX- GPS is compatible with USB port- no additional cables or software needed. The mapping program is the problem- need to load that up using a PC- but you only have to do that once.

I use LoadMyTracks as I couldn't figure out Babel.

Search the forums you'll see lots of tips on using a Mac.

Garmin is SLOWLY adding Mac support to their product line. The mapping software is probably a ways off still (City Navigator, etc) but they have released a beta of their WebUpdate wizard and there are third party applications that will let you upload and download waypoints, as well as geocaching specific programs.

So, yes, most GPS's will work with Macs, and Garmin in particular is adding official support and has relased a program that will let you update the firmware on your GPS using a Mac.

I am using an original Blue Legend with my Mac Pbook G4 just fine. I have a Keyspan Serial to USB converter that I had kicking around from my old Palm days. Works like a champ. I have used several Freeware programs like GPS Babel, and others. If you have specific questions, throw them my way.

There are a number of freeware and commercial programs that will allow you to transfer waypoints to your GPS using a Mac. No worries there.

The thing you can't do (yet) natively in Mac is transfer Garmin maps to the unit. Garmin has promised Mac support, but it isn't here yet. From what I understand, you can do this if you run Parallels and Windows on an Intel Mac, or find a PC to borrow if you absolutely need maps. I've been geocaching for a year and a half without any Garmin maps--I'm hoping to wait to buy City Navigator until they release the Mac version. We'll see...

If you don't need to load maps, there's nothing you can't do with another program on a Mac.

:rolleyes: Hey, Thanx 4 the tip.

Problem: I use Netscape. When I hit download it said Netscape did not know what to do.

It wouldn't load when I hit save to disk.

It said I should save it to my computer, but I don't know where.

Any ideas?

I am not much further down the road than you are, but I have something to share. If you have a fairly recent Mac, running a version of Mac OS X, and have a USB port, you can probably use your GPS with your Mac. There is a freeware application, GPSBabel, that will make it possible for you to download waypoints to a LOC file on your Mac, then use GPSBabel to convert the LOC file to a file your Garmin can handle.

I have a Magellan eXplorist XL, and it mounts on my Mac like any other device with USB capability. I'll bet your Garmin would do the same. After downloading waypoints, and converting them with GPSBabel, it is a simple matter to copy the converted file to the GPS device.

There is a lot of documentation that seems rather intimidating. I found that typical of Mac software, it was pretty intuitive to use and worked fine. The interface is easy to use. I did find, however, that output directly to the device (my GPS) did not work. I had to output to a file, then copy the file to the GPS via the Mac Finder. You have to be sure the file has the right extension (such as .gs) or the device will not recognize the file. Be sure to check device-specific notes in the documentation (example, the .gs extension for my GPS -- maybe you need something else).

Good luck!

Ed

:rolleyes: Thanx 4 the Babel tip.

I ordered a Garmin Legend CX today.

When I get it, I'll see how it goes and try Babel if I need to.

I'll let you know how it goes.

:D T

That's good news. But looks like I will have to update from 10.3 to 10.4 to be able to use either application. Do you think it's worth waiting for Leopard or should I just update to Tiger now. I'm running an iMac G4 1GHz flat screen.

Good luck!

Ed

:laughing: Thanx 4 the Babel tip.

I ordered a Garmin Legend CX today.

When I get it, I'll see how it goes and try Babel if I need to.

I'll let you know how it goes.

:anibad: T

:anibad: Please excuse my ignorance! How do I output to a file, then copy the file to the GPS via MacFinder? Would you mind "walking" me through those steps? I feel so inept when it comes to these computers, but I'm trying to get better. Aren't you the lucky one that offered to help?

T