Poker Fun Run

The following is from the sign-up thread. As we would rather answer all questions here and leave that thread just for folks to "Sign-up" I will quote what lacomo posted --

OK Put me in.

I have no idea how to play. I am very new to this benchmarking and don't know if I can figure it out. First questions.

What are you all talking about when you say "lines" and "line #s"?

Is it one hand one benchmark or what?

What letters and #s do you use? for example would HD1191 be 3 1s and the date on the benchmsrk is 1990

is that another 1, I could use to make the hand 4 1s?

See I told you I didn't know anything.

First you might want to read through this thread which might answer a lot of questions and then read my response.

You will be able to figure it all out either by asking questions here or PMing or E-mailing us with your questions. Either way, we will gladly offer our assistance.

OK, here I go with my answers.

The designation (name) for HD1191 is "WILDCAT RESET" with the "W" being the letter of importance for the contest. It could be only one letter going towards one hand ... any of the hands that state "Letters" - Pair, 2 pair, 3 of a kind, etc. So you would need at least "2" different Benchmarks that the Designation started with the letter "W". A Pair is "one Hand". So No PIDs at all are used Only the Designations/Names.

Now click on "this list" and it will take you to the "nearest Benchmarks" from "WILDCAT RESET". (I got this list by actually clicking on the nearest benchmarks on the GC benchmark page). This is a sample of what is on that list...

eb42323a-66a8-4e13-b81f-9dd4d057378a.jpg

Please notice the designations with the number 112 - as in S 112 2 RESET, U 112, V 112, R 112, W 112, Q 112 - these are all of the same "LINE NUMBER". The first Letter would be crucial in the "Straight Flush" -- being they would have to be in alphabetical order and then consecutive. Meaning A, B, C, D, E or M, N, O, P, Q. -- no letters missing.

I hope that this is clear.? John can answer a little easier than I can, as the scoring was his concept and I am learning along with you. But, have no doubts, we will be fair and as helpful as possible.

He is at work right now, so if you have any more questions, he will answer them either when he gets home or tomorrow morning.

Remember, the finding and logging said marks for the contest will not start until the 1st of September.

Shirley~

bump.gif

Just a reminder - Next Saturday the Poker Fun Run starts. To be in the running for any prizes - you must be signed up by Friday (the 31st) at midnight. There are now 22 players ready to go, (that is including AZcachemeister *OUT* due to his own words of wisdom - "I'm still saving up to replace the tires I wore out during the last contest.") :D

Good Hunting everyone!

Shirley~

I did just sign up for the contest but have a question. In order to create your hands must the BM's be found in a particular order to create hands or can it be random? As an example- What if I went out and found like 100 BM's in the surrounding area in the 2 month contest period, then sorted out all of my hands at the end before deadline, can this be done?

I did just sign up for the contest but have a question. In order to create your hands must the BM's be found in a particular order to create hands or can it be random? As an example- What if I went out and found like 100 BM's in the surrounding area in the 2 month contest period, then sorted out all of my hands at the end before deadline, can this be done?

Sure, it may not be the most efficient use of your time for the contest, but if that is how you wish to do it, it will work. That might be another form of the strategy/bluff thingy.

Shirley~

Sure, it may not be the most efficient use of your time for the contest, but if that is how you wish to do it, it will work. That might be another form of the strategy/bluff thingy.

Shirley~

Thanks for your reply :D I am going out of state at the beginning of the contest so I am just going to try and find what I can because I will only be there a short time, then sort it all out later.

I do have another question. If I find a 4 of a kind and then another one, can I only log the one until all hands have been completed to start over again?

Shirley~

Thanks for your reply :D I am going out of state at the beginning of the contest so I am just going to try and find what I can because I will only be there a short time, then sort it all out later.

I do have another question. If I find a 4 of a kind and then another one, can I only log the one until all hands have been completed to start over again?

You are correct. You may log the one until all hands have been completed.

Sign me up, please.

Question, is it possible to do a PQ for "Benchmarks Along A Route?"

Officially - no

Unofficially - yes

You need to do the county download and then use BMGPX to convert it to a GPX file, then you just drg and drop the GPX file onto GSAK and sort along a user defined route.

Here is a LINK to one of the posts in the Me First thread pinned at the top of these forums. If you need more specific answers, please ask and we will try our best to answer them.

John

Contestants, start your cameras! :rolleyes: Okay, still two and a half days...

Dolphin and Bear go Line Dancing!

I've never tried to do a line before. And I've done too many pieces of the local ones. Not taking into account the destruction of benchmarks in suburbia due to building and road widening. So, in my naïvete, I have picked a line of 23 disks about 80 miles away on which to practice my poker skills! No 'I', no 'O' (so those letters don't count toward the straight flush...), and 'Z' is marked distroyed and not in GC.com. None have been logged since they were set in 1942, though two are resets. Unfortunately, Q might be a problem. Lessee, I need fifteen of the twenty three for the flushes. A, K, Q, J, T. C, D, E, F & G. And any other five. With my luck, I might not find a single one. Oh, well. I'm looking at the 260 line, Sullivan/Ulster Counties, New York, in Catskills Park.

Good luck to all. And have fun.

Heh, I've got my eye on two lines that seem to go through my area. One of them might not be real practical because I think it's right along a railroad track, but the other has potential. Of course, I know for that second line that I went looking for one once and never did find it (even though I found the witness post).

Well, our line dance in Sullivan County was a dismal failure. :D We hunted for A through J, and only found D Reset. The road was widened, paved, and drainage ditches were built on both sides. In addition considerable development has taken place. This was one of our better prospects. Oh, well. I doubt we'll ever get a flush. After 2 days, I have 2 unrelated cards! Wow!

Heh, I sat down last night to figure out what I wanted to do with the lines in my area, only to discover that the two lines I thought were real promising aren't in the geocaching.com database :D. And a lot of our lines around here are along railroad tracks, which makes them tough to do. Did end up with a handful of things today, now I just have to figure out how to make them go together. No luck collecting any sort of flush though.

Bonuses:

If it has a previous DNF or has a benchmark that is OLD or VERY OLD in the hand - you MUST let us know to get your Bonus Points. OLD = 5 Pts for pre-1950. VERY OLD = Older than the 2oldfarts or Harry Dolphin, worth 10 Pts for pre-1930. Previous logged DNFs. = 5 Pts (Of course, you need to have found that DNF.) 1 bonus per hand with any of the following, so be sure to tell us if you're claiming a bonus when you log each hand.

So, for the age bonus, does this only apply if the benchmark hasn't been found since back then? Or was monumented back then, but has more recent finds? If the latter, at least I picked up some old ones today, although I haven't figured out how I'm going to use them yet :D.

Bonuses:

If it has a previous DNF or has a benchmark that is OLD or VERY OLD in the hand - you MUST let us know to get your Bonus Points. OLD = 5 Pts for pre-1950. VERY OLD = Older than the 2oldfarts or Harry Dolphin, worth 10 Pts for pre-1930. Previous logged DNFs. = 5 Pts (Of course, you need to have found that DNF.) 1 bonus per hand with any of the following, so be sure to tell us if you're claiming a bonus when you log each hand.

So, for the age bonus, does this only apply if the benchmark hasn't been found since back then? Or was monumented back then, but has more recent finds? If the latter, at least I picked up some old ones today, although I haven't figured out how I'm going to use them yet :D.

The age bonus relies upon the 'Monumented Date' alone. Even if there have been other logs since...if it IS the monumented mark and still readable...it is good for the "Age Bonus'.

Sometimes it is good to be old. :D

Shirley~

Since no one has posted any 'hands' yet, I have been watching the benchmark gallery just to see all who have been out and about. There are a couple of neat chiseled squares that were found - but, we agreed that those were not going to count this time around...just disks. But, still cool to see.

Looks like some are off to a good start and others are playing the game a little differently by not logging until they have one or more hands. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone wait until they have all the hands - log/post/claim bonus and start again.

Good hunting everyone.

Shirley~

It would be easier to look through the gallery if some demented dolphin didn't take up a whole page with one benchmark! (But, hey, three years ago, Shirley aksed about the chiseled crosses, so...)

Chiseled Crosses and all that beautiful area! It looked to be worth the time and effort.

Shirley~

Just got back from visiting relatives in Kansas and one of the highlights of my trip was to actually view and photograph a chiseled cross as I have never seen one in person. No such luck when we arrived at the site. The area had been graded and ready for construction.

Did not have much luck finding discs either due to construction, but did locate a few water towers and antennae even though they are not to be used for the contest but still fun to see the sights.

All are "Designation Only" using the "FIRST digit &/or line #" on the GC benchmark page.

A benchmark can only be used once and must have its own PID# on GC. Benchmark disks only, no Intersection Stations. So use your finds wisely.

Question has arisen. Is it too late to ask questions? KV6613, for example. Designation is SC 197.

1e4a7c82-bc48-44ca-a6ff-2285675c6149.jpg

Disk says: County of Somerset G P S Monument No. 197. Does that qualify as an 'S' for the designation, or a '1' for the stamping?

Edited by Harry Dolphin

All are "Designation Only" using the "FIRST digit &/or line #" on the GC benchmark page.

A benchmark can only be used once and must have its own PID# on GC. Benchmark disks only, no Intersection Stations. So use your finds wisely.

Question has arisen. Is it too late to ask questions? KV6613, for example. Designation is SC 197.

Disk says: County of Somerset G P S Monument No. 197. Does that qualify as an 'S' for the designation, or a '1' for the stamping?

John will have to look at this one. He is at work now, as soon as he sees this and my note that I am going to leave for him, he will give you a reply/ruling.

(As an aside - those chiseled cross RMs were really neat!)

Shirley~

That qualifies as an "S" as in SC 197 (its designation according to the datasheet). The stamping must agree with what it says on the datasheet, but the designation determines it use for the contest.

John

Another scoring question:

"Old" BMs in a hand: bonus points awarded for a hand with 1 or more old disks (as Dolphin claimed for his first hand in the logging thread) or points for each old BM (as shorbird claimed in the next post) ?

From the rules posted at the top of the logging thread......

"Bonuses:

If it has a previous DNF or has a benchmark that is OLD or VERY OLD in the hand - you MUST let us know to get your Bonus Points. OLD = 5 Pts for pre-1950. VERY OLD = Older than the 2oldfarts or Harry Dolphin, worth 10 Pts for pre-1930. Previous logged DNFs. = 5 Pts (Of course, you need to have found that DNF.) 1 bonus per hand with any of the following, so be sure to tell us if you're claiming a bonus when you log each hand."

Hope this clears things up. If you have any others questions feel free to ask them here.

John

Just a reminder...Look at the Top Right Corner of the forum screen where you will see "New Messages". This is where you can "Click" to see if you have any PMs (Personal Messages). We tend to send out any info in this way for the contests.

You might want to check to see if you have any messages even if it shows 0. Last contest, a couple contestants found that it never registered if they had any PMs or not.

Good Hunting!

Shirley~

I know you don't want to have too much more time tied up in this. But, is there a way those of us who are still a little fuzzy on the exact rules could see if posted hands are accepted without you having to go to to much trouble? I sure understand if it's too time consuming but it'd be helpful if you could. Thanks again for the contest.

Just a reminder...Look at the Top Right Corner of the forum screen where you will see "New Messages". This is where you can "Click" to see if you have any PMs (Personal Messages). We tend to send out any info in this way for the contests.

You might want to check to see if you have any messages even if it shows 0. Last contest, a couple contestants found that it never registered if they had any PMs or not.

Good Hunting!

Shirley~

Edited by wvhillbilly59

We would like to hear from most of the poker players on this. How do you feel about us posting what is wrong with the 'Posted Hands'? Would it be helpful or would it embarrass the Posters, as in they screwed up...lets tell exactly how they did that?

Does everyone want PMs and/or E-mails or do you want it posted in the logging thread with an explanation? You let us know and we will comply. It would not be anymore effort on our part. We just do not want to make anyone feel like a Newbie, because this contest is a little tougher to follow than the previous ones.

What we can do is answer any PMs or E-mails about any hand just posted. You may also watch the point charts that John will post about once a week or so, if enough people post hands. Then if you see someone did not get points for a hand....you could either PM us and we will let you know why that hand did not meet the requirements or you could PM that poster and they 'might' answer you.

So, what say you players? Yea or Nay on us posting in the logging thread the problems with a hand instead of PMing or E-mailing.

Shirley~

OK, I think the best way is, just watch the scores and if you are wondering why one hand was accepted or rejected - just ask here and we will explain that particular rule. And you do not have to wait for the scores to be posted, if you have a question about a hand that has been posted, just ask here and we will verify the hand and then answer said question.

Just let us know the hand 'Post #' and if more than one hand was posted...which hand.

We will try our best to be fair and tackful.

Shirley~

I'm guessing I should have brought something like cornstarch along with me on the benchmarking trips, because now that I'm starting to look at some of the photos I took, there's definitely a couple that are going to be pretty questionable as to whether 2oldfarts will be able to read them. (Although with one of them, even cornstarch wouldn't have helped, the disk is mangled enough that you can't make out the last number in the stamping :rolleyes: ).

Edited by piper28

I'm guessing I should have brought something like cornstarch along with me on the benchmarking trips, because now that I'm starting to look at some of the photos I took, there's definitely a couple that are going to be pretty questionable as to whether 2oldfarts will be able to read them. (Although with one of them, even cornstarch wouldn't have helped, the disk is mangled enough that you can't make out the last number in the stamping :rolleyes: ).

You have a PM...

Can you explain this one to me?

5pts) Flush = 5 of the same line #, no mixing benchmarks from more than 1 line even if it is the same line number

Does that mean coincidentally the same line # that is actually from two different regions that got the same #?

A line number is the second part of the designation, as in A 45, B 45, C 45. The "45" is the line number. We have seen the same line number used in 2 different states, 1 in AZ and 1 in NV. In order to qualify for the contest the flush would need to be five benchmarks from the same line. If a single line crossed the state line that would be acceptable, but if it were 2 distinct lines in 2 different states then it would not qualify as a flush. That would be akin to using the same suit from 2 different decks of cards to make a flush. That would get a player shot in the olden days.

Typically a line runs for about 26 miles and all the benchmarks used to make a Flush, Straight Flush, or Royal Flush would need to be from that 26 mile stretch of benchmarks.

Bonuses are limited to 1 bonus per hand.

John

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

As far as the 1 year plus or older BM's - does one physically go back to them to put a note, or just put in a note and then use them in a hand?

As far as hands and problems, I'm all for letting me know about mine - publically or otherwise.

When you PM'd me, my counter said 0; I'll have to keep checking it.

As far as the 1 year plus or older BM's - does one physically go back to them to put a note, or just put in a note and then use them in a hand?

As far as hands and problems, I'm all for letting me know about mine - publically or otherwise.

When you PM'd me, my counter said 0; I'll have to keep checking it.

If you have visited the benchmark over a year ago, you need to go back and get an updated picture to post with your note. (We do compare pictures of all the logs.)

Perhaps a post in the ".com" forum will alert Jeremy to the problem of the PM message counter not updating and it will get fixed.

John

[Typically a line runs for about 26 miles and all the benchmarks used to make a Flush, Straight Flush, or Royal Flush would need to be from that 26 mile stretch of benchmarks.

Heh, most of the "lines" in Michigan seem to be anything but lines, and lots don't go for the whole alphabet. We seem to have a lot that start in the middle and continue to some other random middle point. And heck, some will even put the letters out of order (although the PID's will be in order).

Perhaps a post in the ".com" forum will alert Jeremy to the problem of the PM message counter not updating and it will get fixed.

What I love is I get a pop-up that tells me that I have no PM's :anitongue:.

On a Royal Flush,what if the mark is damaged?

The steel rod is stll there but no cap for the designation.

It has been logged as found by several but wanted to ask before going the distance just to get it.

We're tougher than the NGS. we need to see what is stamped on the disk/cover to verify which mark is being claimed. The NGS will accept a found it in POOR condition, but we're not the NGS... :anitongue: We will call your bluff and you will then need to show your (verified) hand.

John

Public humiliation!!! Public humiliation!!!

Since you're in favour of public humiliation, how bout this one:

NF0908

:anitongue:

Disk was right where it said it was, just under a thin layer or dirt (I found it by scraping with my foot where I'd paced off where it should be).

Very nice Piper28! I wonder if you get credit for both the previous DNF and the pre 1950?

Public humiliation!!! Public humiliation!!!

Since you're in favour of public humiliation, how bout this one:

NF0908

:rolleyes:

Disk was right where it said it was, just under a thin layer or dirt (I found it by scraping with my foot where I'd paced off where it should be).

Very nice Piper28! I wonder if you get credit for both the previous DNF and the pre 1950?

Sorry -- Only one bonus per hand. That means "1" bonus gets doled out if you qualify - for each hand that you post. (this is where you choose - so choose wisely) A lot of lines have all disks placed in the same year...if that year happens to be Very Old...you would still only get "1" bonus.

It makes it interesting - does it not?

And, A tapeworm, I am sure that piper28 will thank you when he posts his hand with the DNF Bonus. :anitongue:

Shirley~