Poker Fun Run

Another straight flush question. May I assume that it is considered a line if the disk were put out by the same agency, in the same year, with consecutive letters? Some of these lines lines look like they were put out by drunken sailors!

This series has me a bit befuddled. (A, K, Q, J, T of a series.) The whole series seems to wander all over the wilds of central and west Jersey!

KV1338 A 30

LY0773 K 30

LY0781 Q 30

LY0772 J 30

LY0754 T 30

But, may I assume that they are, in fact, in the same series?

(Not my first choice for the royal straight flush. But my second choice.)

Since you're in favour of public humiliation, how bout this one:

NF0908

:rolleyes:

That was intentional. Now find this one. :anitongue:

I'd been BM'ing for about a month when I looked for NF0908 - I should probably go back and check all my previous DNF's!

I think I was following you that day, do you by chance log to the NGS as JAW (I think that was the initials I kept running into that day). I'd used archived data sheets to plan my route, and then updated sheets for when I was actually doing the looking, and in between there were a bunch of logs by this JAW guy on a lot of these marks.

Could be worse though. I found this one while driving by at speed (I hadn't originally had it on my list to look for), and the power squadron hadn't found it last. I know the power squadron sometimes has a bad rap on finds, but like I said, this one I could see from the car as I drove by it.

NF0839

Another straight flush question. May I assume that it is considered a line if the disk were put out by the same agency, in the same year, with consecutive letters? Some of these lines lines look like they were put out by drunken sailors!

This series has me a bit befuddled. (A, K, Q, J, T of a series.) The whole series seems to wander all over the wilds of central and west Jersey!

KV1338 A 30

LY0773 K 30

LY0781 Q 30

LY0772 J 30

LY0754 T 30

But, may I assume that they are, in fact, in the same series?

(Not my first choice for the royal straight flush. But my second choice.)

Near as I can tell they are all part of the same line even though that line winds around like a snake in the bushes.

John

Bleh, talk about a lousy day looking for benchmarks Saturday. Debated before leaving swinging by the Harbor freight store to pick up the cheapo metal detector they had on sale with coupon, but ended up not doing it. Get to the first disk I was looking for and of course wished I had. Right where I'd expect the disk to be I find that the soil is pretty loose and kinda looks like a trench has been dug through to install a fiber optic line. Of course, the real depressing part is this was the T in a line I had identified as one of my best chances for that Royal. (Course, I ended up not finding another that would have been needed to, so ultimately it didn't matter).

Did end up discovering a WWII sub in Muskegon that I hadn't known about, so that was kinda interesting.

Man that Royal is going to be tough.

Keeping it out of the logging thread...

I have to drive over 70 miles one way to get the Royal Flush.

And that is if the marks are still there.

That's the problem I'm having with them too. Depressing part is there's a set that are new enough and close to home that they'd probably be there, but they're too new for the database here. (Then again, I vaguely remember looking for the T in that line before and only finding the witness post).

If the weather holds up the way it looks like it's supposed to for this coming weekend I think I'm heading up to try some along the Saginaw Bay area where there's a couple lines that have possibilities. It's being disguised as a Benchmarking/Fall Colour Tour to make it more acceptable to the wife.

The Royals seem to be tougher than the contestants first thought. They do require plenty of mileage to get them. That is why they are worth 100 pts.

Here are the Stats so far through post #31. Note: The screen shots were completed before 2/3 Marine sent us an E-mail with an update that he gets a '5 pt' bonus for his DNF on his Royal Flush. That will be on the next update to the Stats.

6eff60c2-da7c-484c-9dd0-a69b47d2bd00.jpg

And now for the breakdown of the Bonus Points. (You are going to love looking at this one!)

5adb981f-c0e5-4452-bb44-42326935dc86.jpg

Seems as though there are several different strategies in play...Good game thus far!

Good hunting everyone....

Shirley~

Today, 9-24-07 at 04:32 PM shorbird completed the set of Poker Hands. Congratulations! He now has our 'permission' to start his next set of hands per the rules....

*If you complete all hands, you will get a *bonus* worth 25 Pts + the permission to start all over again with logging each hand with new finds.

Who will be next?

Shirley~

The Royals seem to be tougher than the contestants first thought. They do require plenty of mileage to get them. That is why they are worth 100 pts.

Yeah, but I'm glad we're not playing video poker with those odds, because man do they suck. An 8/5 machine that shorts you on the four of a kind, straight flush, and royal flush. And I thought the odds on some of the machines around here (like windsor) were bad. :P

We finally decided how to award the final prize of the Pentax binoculars, but we're not telling anyone! After deciding the criteria we had to go back through all the logs and see who was in the lead for that prize. It turns out that shorbird is currently in the lead for that prize, but it could change at any time. (Shirley has seen some benchmarks that were logged, but not posted in the contest, yet, that would bump shorbird.).

Hint: it has something to do with one of the bonuses.

John

Ballast and gravel are tough to dig in! But the disk is stamped 1938-1934. Hmm...

Wait - How could it be set "2" years before it was monumented? HMMMM? :):blink:

Yep...you gotta go and get this one, if you want the binoculars...wouldn't it just be easier to go buy a pair? :huh:

Shirley~

Well, that would be four years. ;) I think I do pretty good typing with two fins, but an occasional typo does creep in. :X And I do have a very nice pair of binoculars somewhere.... Okay 1838!

I must have misunderstood the criterion for the bonus. I thought it was the date the disk was set. Oh, well.

Request retroactive 10 point bonus for Bear Fort Reset, originally set in 1882!

:)

Ballast and gravel are tough to dig in! But the disk is stamped 1938-1934. Hmm...

Wait - How could it be set "2" years before it was monumented? HMMMM? :):blink:

Yep...you gotta go and get this one, if you want the binoculars...wouldn't it just be easier to go buy a pair? :huh:

Shirley~

Well, that would be four years. :) I think I do pretty good typing with two fins, but an occasional typo does creep in. :X And I do have a very nice pair of binoculars somewhere.... Okay 1838!

I must have misunderstood the criterion for the bonus. I thought it was the date the disk was set. Oh, well.

Request retroactive 10 point bonus for Bear Fort Reset, originally set in 1882!

;)

It says that it was monumented in 1882 ... so which hand was it?

You mean to say that you were in the lead for the binoculars and didn't even know it? :) And now Klemmer has beat you out? Awwww......

Shirley~

NF0908

:D

That was intentional. Now find this one. :)

I'd been BM'ing for about a month when I looked for NF0908 - I should probably go back and check all my previous DNF's!

I think I was following you that day, do you by chance log to the NGS as JAW (I think that was the initials I kept running into that day). I'd used archived data sheets to plan my route, and then updated sheets for when I was actually doing the looking, and in between there were a bunch of logs by this JAW guy on a lot of these marks.

Could be worse though. I found this one while driving by at speed (I hadn't originally had it on my list to look for), and the power squadron hadn't found it last. I know the power squadron sometimes has a bad rap on finds, but like I said, this one I could see from the car as I drove by it.

NF0839

Now I know I've been following a tapeworm. Several of the marks I found yesterday he's visited very recently, and one I didn't look for but really wanted for that straight flush he actually visited the day before. (He must be a little more brave than I am about heading along railroad tracks too, since that pesky B 95 I really wanted didn't look like I could get anywhere near it via road, and was quite a ways down the tracks.

I just tromped about a half mile down a railroad bed a couple days ago and then couldn't even find the culvert that was supposed to have the mark for all the weeds and growth. Will have to wait till it dies back to tackle that one again.

NF0908

:D

That was intentional. Now find this one. :)

NF0839

Now I know I've been following a tapeworm. Several of the marks I found yesterday he's visited very recently, and one I didn't look for but really wanted for that straight flush he actually visited the day before. (He must be a little more brave than I am about heading along railroad tracks too, since that pesky B 95 I really wanted didn't look like I could get anywhere near it via road, and was quite a ways down the tracks.

Lets see. I followed holograph for my straight flush. seventhings for my royal flush. Also been following Zhanna around. Not to mention a few other regulars here.

I was considering a triangulation station in a multi-million dollar section of Bernardsville today. (I mean! Who needs twenty seven bedrooms?!?) It's 500 feet down a private drive with No Trespassing signs. Too many cars with drivers giving me dirty looks, including one coming out of the private drive. So, I returned to my car on the pull out, and looked at my map. Someone pulled over behind me and didn't leave until I left. I can't afford to walk in that neighborhood. More's the power to the geocacher who found it a few years ago. He's got more guts than I do!

You do what you feel safe doing. I'm staying away from active railroad tracks myself, these days.

Now I know I've been following a tapeworm.

Don't tell your friends!

He must be a little more brave than I am about heading along railroad tracks too, since that pesky B 95 I really wanted didn't look like I could get anywhere near it via road, and was quite a ways down the tracks.

Oh, pshaw. Someone built a nice two-track access road along the tracks - just for benchmark hunters, I presume - that allows one to drive to a few hundred yards from the mark. Could drive all the way with the Jeep my wife wouldn't let me buy, rather than the sedan we purchased....

Now I know I've been following a tapeworm.

Don't tell your friends!

He must be a little more brave than I am about heading along railroad tracks too, since that pesky B 95 I really wanted didn't look like I could get anywhere near it via road, and was quite a ways down the tracks.

Oh, pshaw. Someone built a nice two-track access road along the tracks - just for benchmark hunters, I presume - that allows one to drive to a few hundred yards from the mark. Could drive all the way with the Jeep my wife wouldn't let me buy, rather than the sedan we purchased....

Bah, I didn't find the two track. If I had, I'd probably have considered it. I find two-tracks to be strangely hard to resist, and I was in the jeep :). I was running later than I'd planned that day too because I spent longer than I'd planned at an auction, and my primary goal for the day was the royal flush, so I didn't want to spend a long time looking for it.

Durn that was too fast.

I was hoping someone would call me on it.

I was plying for time to get it all logged.

Thanks for doing the leg work I was going to post it in the AM after I get some much needed rest.

Now we have 5 in the ranks.

Gotta have 5 cards,now we have them.

I look forward for the others to follow and got some adding to do so I get it right.

The Q finally paid off good.

A DNF OH Boy I said!!

I may have found another one but thats a long day away.

But just maybe....I might catch Ole whats his name...maybe.

OK I posted the links to My Royal Flush.

Now for the rest of the story.

Well I figured it wasn't me it was just my GPS that was off.

So I headed to GARMIN HQ for a recalibration of my unit!!

Well that being done we then proceeded to a CORS Station at the FAA.

I figured I would retest the accuracy of the unit while headed out to get the Royal Flush.

So I stopped by at DF9221 AND DF9222.

Everything seemed to be very accurate,took a few pictures and headed on to the Royal Flush..........

About that time I see RED,Blue..flashing in the rearview....I think OK what did I do,blow a light,not stop long enough,no turn sign...well I did everything right.

The K-9 SUV and the KC Officers surround me.

I am boxed in as soon as I pull over,I went to get out and was told to get back in my vehicle and don't move.

TIGGR is on me again...see everytime we go get these benchmarks you get us in trouble.

I said we are not in trouble we didn't do anything.

So the Officer finally approaches the car and asks me what I am doing?

Why were you taking pictures of the Federal FAA building?

Then it hit me....Whew I said to myself, now I just have to convince them I was only hunting Benchmarks.

So I started explaining what I was there for and what I was doing and my intent.

He seemed to be totally unaware of what a benchmark was,or making sure I could explain to him what they were.

But I passed that test.

Then he wanted to see documentation.

First the PDA was Impressive I could easily show him the data on hand.

He then wanted to see all the images I took.

That was easy with the digital.

Now the hard part documentation.

Luckily I have my National Map Corps ID,USA Freedom Corps ID,OEM ID and a valid Drivers license.

All tests passed now for the fun part.

You have to understand this is a K-9 unit with a bomb sniffing,drug dog.

And I have a little container of this white powder stuff in my pocket.

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The rest of the story will be in the cornstarch thread.

I truly would like to also take the time to thank the KC Police and OEM for their immediate response.

It is good to know people really are watching out there.

Breaking into the discussion for an update on Players standings.

2ee0979f-646f-4bd8-bfcf-33b846063646.jpg

dd5bd23a-65fb-400d-b4de-9686b07356b0.jpg

Very interesting!

Carry on with the thread.

Shirley~

Edited due to an old age thing. These are the corrected scores and stats.

Thank you Tom for the heads up on our mistake. (We received a "Dreaded PM from Tom" :laughing: ). We might need a new scorekeeper, he forgot where he put his glasses.

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

You have to understand this is a K-9 unit with a bomb sniffing,drug dog.

And I have a little container of this white powder stuff in my pocket.

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The rest of the story will be in the cornstarch thread.

I’m waiting for this part. It should be good.

Congrats to Jedi Cacher who completed his first set of hands. He has earned his 25 bonus points for completing all hands and permission (based on his posting hot links next time, so we don't need to enter each PID# on the search page.) to start his next set of hands.

John

Sorry about that John. I didn't realize you could post links directly to the benchmark log. I do realize it now after looking at the other posters. Can you shoot me an Email and explain how to do that so it will make it allot easier for you when I post hands again.

Jedi Cacher, here is a picture showing which buttons to use when you are posting a reply that needs a hot link.

7a3f4613-89f3-4c71-a1e0-70d24ad298ae.jpg

You use the Blue arrow to post a link to the benchmark page and the red arrow to post a picture in a reply.

You copy the url address of the benchmark page and paste it into the little box that appears when you use the button indicated by the blue arrow. The little box will then ask for a "name" for the link, just use the benchmark designation for logging your hands.

Be sure to hit the Preview button and then try the link to verify that you used the correct address. If you need more assistance, just ask.

John

You use the Blue arrow to post a link to the benchmark page and the red arrow to post a picture in a reply.

You copy the url address of the benchmark page and paste it into the little box that appears when you use the button indicated by the blue arrow. The little box will then ask for a "name" for the link, just use the benchmark designation for logging your hands.

Be sure to hit the Preview button and then try the link to verify that you used the correct address. If you need more assistance, just ask.

John

Thanks for the tutorial John. ;) Ever since I started caching earlier in the year I never knew how to post a link or a photo and now I do. I just posted a hand for the 2nd round to see if it works.

Jedi Cacher, your links worked properly. You may now stop posting new hands! ;)

Jedi Cacher, Mr. Dolphin is correct - your links worked and we thank you for that.

Now you pay him no never-mind about not posting any new hands - he is just starting to feel pressured by another Poker Player. I think he needs some refreshments...where is the Pizza and Drinks??? drinks_drunk.gifmanger.gif

Shirley~