Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
n0wae

Colorado 14er Event

Colorado has an interesting yearly 14er Event. This year this event will be held on Sunday August 12. If your a caching Ham consider joining in on the fun. I'm thinking about planting a cache on top of my first event 14er this year and can only hope other cachers will do the same when they summit the 14ers. So far my Highest cache (GCGR32) is near where I tested out my Ham equipment in last years event on Santa Fe Peak. I'm looking forward to activating my first event 14er on August 12.

I see Kansas is going to join the Colorado folk this year and are going to activate Mt Sunflower, their hightest point.

Aug 11-Aug 12, 2100Z-2100Z, Mt Sunflower, KS. Trojan and Sand Hills ARCs, K4S. Operating in conjunction with the Colorado 14er radio event. VHF & UHF frequencies will be listed at www.14er.org. 3.920 14.260 14.060. QSL. Trojan Amateur Radio Club, W0WOB, 1553 County Rd T, Colby, KS 67701. www.14er.org

I won't be back into CO from MO for a couple weeks for a visit, so I'll miss all the fun.

I see Kansas is going to join the Colorado folk this year and are going to activate Mt Sunflower, their hightest point.

Aug 11-Aug 12, 2100Z-2100Z, Mt Sunflower, KS. Trojan and Sand Hills ARCs, K4S. Operating in conjunction with the Colorado 14er radio event. VHF & UHF frequencies will be listed at www.14er.org. 3.920 14.260 14.060. QSL. Trojan Amateur Radio Club, W0WOB, 1553 County Rd T, Colby, KS 67701. www.14er.org

I won't be back into CO from MO for a couple weeks for a visit, so I'll miss all the fun.

Another cacher (Egnix) joined me on my Ham 14er adventure this year. We left Buena Vista at 4:30am Sunday morning for the 4WD up the scary shelf road to the 13,700' parking area. My jeep got hung up on a big rock which cost us some time but we still made it and summited by 9am. I made eight 14er contacts and several non 14er contacts including a QSO with AC7SX... Joe was in Utah in the La Sal mountains some 162 miles away! I heard K4S (210 miles) but they were only S1 and dropped in and out. I guess their beam wasn't pointed my way. The event was a lot of fun and I even had time to plant a 14er cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...eb-20dffb2c7d02