Route or Track When Hiking?

mstetz

I noticed that there are a few sites on the web (Backpacker.com for one) where you can download .gpx data for hikes. I did this recently, and then tried to send the .gpx file to my Garmin 60CSx. I got a message that said there were too many trackpoints in the file (over 500).

I guess my question is: how do experienced hikers use the .gpx files? Is it better to just use the waypoints and create a route (forgoing the track altogether) or do you simplify the track to get it below 500 points and then use the trackback feature?

Thanks!

Marty

Do you have a mapping program, like Mapsource? You can open that .gpx file and "edit" the trackpoints to get it down below 500.

I uploaded the track from a previous trip out to the desert and it was great to have that little breadcrumb to follow, Even though I had been there before, some areas were hard to negotiate and remember exactly.

I haven't used tracks downloaded from a site, but I think they would be very useful. I don't know about turning them into a route . . . :laughing:

I've not tried this myself, but someone in another forum was singing the praises of the free Topofusion (apparently the Basic version) for automatic filtering of tracks to a smaller number of trackpoints while still maintaining the shape.

Edit: My lack of first-hand experience shows--the demos are free, but it appears both the Basic and Pro version cost $. A closer look at ExpertGPS shows that it includes a simplify command for this purpose, too (also $)

Edited by embra

I noticed that there are a few sites on the web (Backpacker.com for one) where you can download .gpx data for hikes. I did this recently, and then tried to send the .gpx file to my Garmin 60CSx. I got a message that said there were too many trackpoints in the file (over 500).

The 500 point limit sounds more like a waypoint limit than a trackpoint limit, but perhaps tracks really are limited that way.

I suspect you can use gpsbabel to simplify/reduce both track and waypoints, although I have not done so personally..

If I am off-base I hope a better-informed bystander will chime in.

The limitation of 500 points is only for "saved" tracks so if you want to maintain the track points (up to 10,000 points) you can rename it to "Active Log" and it will replace your current active log. The problem with the Active Log is that the track will eventually get overwritten with the latest track info.

The best option is to use a track editing tool to divide the track into several 500 point pieces and save them as named tracks (easy to do in Mapsource). This allows you to save a track of up to 10000 points (20 saved tracks of 500 points each).

Filtering tracks is OK for tracks that don't twist and turn but it really doesn't matter what program you use to filter your data you will still be throwing away valuable track data.

The problem with the Active Log is that the track will eventually get overwritten with the latest track info.

There are two ways to prevent this happening:

1. Uncheck the 'wrap when full' box, so it stops recording tracks when it completely fills the memory.

2. Turn off the track-recording completely.

I've not tried this myself, but someone in another forum was singing the praises of the free Topofusion (apparently the Basic version) for automatic filtering of tracks to a smaller number of trackpoints while still maintaining the shape.

Edit: My lack of first-hand experience shows--the demos are free, but it appears both the Basic and Pro version cost $. A closer look at ExpertGPS shows that it includes a simplify command for this purpose, too (also $)

Go here.....Expert GPS only $25 this week.....unbelieveable deal.

http://www.regsoft.net/purchase.php3?produ...99&pc=3NP34

To the OPs question. Just edit the downloaded track to 500 or under trackpoints and upload it to your unit as a saved track, and use trackback. It will have more points than a route and thus follow "the line" better and what was the previous breadcrumb trail will also be visible as a colored line. You can visibly tell if you are right or left etc.

All the time you are hiking ,you will be making your own "BC" trail. You don't need to follow in the exact same footprints, you just need to know when to go left or right at a fork in the trail and the general direction to travel. You may even find a better "line" to travel than the original trackmaker.

I'm not sure about the other programs, but Mapsource is quite adept at filtering a track to a fewer number of points. I'm amazed at how closely a filtered track matches the original; not much is lost. You can create a copy of the original track, and then filter it down to less than 500 points. Compare the two tracks (original and filtered copy) and you'll probably see very little difference.

I like that. You give your hard earned tracks to Backpacker.com and they get to sell it back to you (via paid subscription). Now that's a deal! Next thing you know, you'll have a law suit slapped against you if you try to give it away or sell it.

How is this qualitatively different from what happens on, say, a certain geocaching website we are all members of?