What fun!

droach3

I was looking for something fun to do in Austin TX while my wife was at a conference and stumbled upon GeoCaching. After much googling and reading I was pumped and ready to go and try this. Well things fell through and I didn't go to Austin with my wife. I decided to see what i could find around my house and was amazed at how many caches there were within one mile of me!!!! Borrowed the friends GPS and off to hunt I went starting at 8am this morning.

First one was to close to peoples backyard and the dogs in the area were going nuts and it was early so before I got within 50ft of the cache I bailed. On to the next one!

The brush was so think and once again I was basically in somebody's back yard and felt weird so I bailed before I got within 40ft of this one. Hmm maybe this isn't for me...

OK so I head home cause I had only gotten the cords. on those two. Decide to go tackle one in a little park down the street. Ran into a muggle walking his dog and some park maint. people but when the coast was clear i dove into the brush. Wondered around for about 10min and ran smack into a spider web with a huge very scary looking spider!!! Hmm maybe this really isn't for me. I looked at the GPS and it said I was only 16ft from the booty. Cant give up now. Move over spider. While looking at the GPS low and behold there was the treasure right in my field of view behind the GPS and the spider and a small log. I didn't even have to take another step I just bent down and picked it up!!!

Now with the adrenaline pumping I was hooked. Of to the house to get a couple more cords. and some water and some trinkets.

3 hours later I am home, I have logged all my finds and planning my outing in the morning!!!

I'm hooked for life!!!

What a cool story. Thanks for sharing.

I know when first getting started it can be frustrating. My frustration was more trying to figure the GPS out and print papers. The kids were saying "come on dad, lets go find some treasure!"

I have heard of others who tried and get bummed out and quit. I'm glad you found what you were looking for. :)

There are a couple things to tell newbies that you may have already read.

The first is when your GPS says you are there. You still have to do some looking. Dont expect it under your feet. It may be as far away as 30' feet when you find it. Not usually more though. (Unless you have an older GPS i imagine...)

Second is so as to not get frustrated you can try finding regular size containers and up. The smaller ones can be more difficult. When we first went out i didn't even notice the size till we found it. The film can was certainly not the treasure the kids were hoping for. ;)

Welcome aboard!

I am also a new cacher and get "wigged out" when I am close to house or in broad view of the public. I just feel like people are watching. It's probably all in my head and no one even cares that I am around. I did get some good hints about looking like I belong (always carry a clip board and look as though you are writing things down as you hunt!).

I was very frustrated with the first 3 I tried to find right near my house. I had NO idea what I should be looking for or even where to start. I still only have a few finds under my belt but feel like with each find I am getting a little better.

I like you did a lot of research about caching before I started. My best friend has been doing it for well over a year but I was still a little leary of it all. I mean, come on, there are tiny "treasures" hidden all over the world....apparently YES! I am glad that I decided to give it a try ;)

Good luck hunting!

Congratulations and welcome to the "addiction".

Don't give up if it gets a bit difficult, leave the hard ones till later. Read those previous logs (more than 10) because there is always some kind of useful info hidden in it. Take a walking pole along and also a flashlight even in daylight time , a mechanics extendable mirror will be useful for looking behind and up little caves.

Enjoy! ;)

Thanks for all the hints and kind words!! I just went out for the third time today and found both my caches in under an hour and one was a micro!!! It would have been helpful if I would have noticed that it was a micro when I started but oh well!! Still really enjoying this and I guess now when I go out I will be taking more than 2 waypoints with me!!!

I wonder just what it is that gets us addicted to this game. I have had many very different hobbies during my lifetime, but this is the only one which I think about all the time. Every day I am planning my next cache, and after finding one I am composing the log in my head on the way home or to the next one.

Every time the wife suggests going to some some beauty spot, my first reaction is to rush to the computer to see if there are any caches nearby! I just wish I was retired and had more time to do it!

I, too, am fairly new at this and have become absolutely addicted. Did make a mistake the first time out in trying to look for a micro as the first find! :laughing: But now that I've found a few of all sizes, I'm thoroughly addicted. Its come to the point where I'm even trying to see if I can find them on the way home from work...and our weekends are getting planned based on...how many caches can we find this weekend and how many are there where we're going! :anibad:

I'm still sorta new (under a year) but have over 100 finds. It's still a fight with the kids to see who gets to open it first and what to trade. When the coordinates tell me I'm right on it, I have one daughter who automatically moves out 10 feet to start looking. She also is the one with the best find record. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ADDICTION.