GPS the MOVIE and the website

AB4N

I just got an email from someone named Phil Harris with a Yahoo account. Has anyone else heard of this? It may be a hoax because it doesn't sound legit to me. Unless it pans out people might want to be cautious before joining the mailing list which is what it seems that they are after.

Here is the text of the message:

There is a film being made about GPS scavenger hunts. They are also having a real GPS scavenger hunt that will be worth $50k. It's a friend of mine doing it. I told him I would try to get some feedback from us GPS gaming geeks. So if you have thoughts on it, let me know. Anyhow, it should be cool. The website is:

http://www.gpsthemovie.com

Now this is hilarious. In the links section of the site, GC is not listed but NC is, with the following description..

"Navicache is one of the two largest Geocaching websites in the world. "

In that spirit: "CurlyKrakow is the most prolific cacher in the world.*"

(*Among cachers whose handles consist of references to hair and a character from the television show My So-Called Life.)

Well, if you were going to cast Geocachers for the roles below who would you chose? Try matching to personalities listed, not to their ages.

ANDREW: Mid-20's -- GPS Hunt enthusiast -- If you were going to war, Andrew is the guy you would want planning your strategy rather than fighting on the front lines. Always thinks twice before acting, then thinks once more just for good measure. When faced with danger and adversity, he reveals hidden depths of character even he didn't know he had.

BOB: Mid-20's -- Jackass -- Bob is the guy everybodyelse at a party wishes they were. A smart guy who makes stupid decisions, just because they seemed like fun at the time. He would go anywhere and do anything for his friends, as long as it doesn't involve being serious.

TRAVIS: Mid-20's -- Baseball player -- In the movie of Travis' life, he unequivocally considers himself the star. Overtly cocky, but friendly and likeable all the same. He is beginning to slowly crack under the weight of high expectations.

GAVIN: Mid-20's -- Pushover -- Gavin is the ultimate tragic figure: the guy desperately and irrationally in love with the girl he can never in a million years have. Sadly lacking in social graces, he gets to be part of the group mostly by staying out of the way, although Bob particularly genuinely likes and feels sorry for the guy. Deep inside Gavin, however, something simmers.

RACHEL: Mid-20's -- Cheerleader -- Rachel is the girl guys convince themselves they could never get. Pretty to the point that, in the eyes of others, it becomes her sole distinguishing characteristic. A shame, because she also happens to be friendly, intelligent, and strong in times of crisis.

ALLISON: Mid-20's -- Rich Girl -- Materialistic and manipulative, but fun. Has made an art out of acting "above it all". Allison dishes it out a little better than she takes it, but she still manages to inspire fierce devotion.

BECKY: Mid-20's -- Tomboy -- Becky knows better than you do, and she's not afraid to let you know. She projects an image of toughness and infallibilty that is actually masking a severe lack of self-confidence. She even keeps her true love secret out of fear of being deemed not good enough by her friends.

PARK RANGER: Male - 30's to 50's -- Been out in the woods alone for way too long. Seriously creepy without even realizing it. He tries to be helpful, but so lacks the ability to relate to other human beings that it just comes across as vaguely disturbing.

Edited by magellan315
Well, if you were going to cast Geocachers for the roles below who would you chose? Try matching to personalities listed, not to their ages.

ANDREW: Mid-20's -- GPS Hunt enthusiast -- If you were going to war, Andrew is the guy you would want planning your strategy rather than fighting on the front lines. Always                      thinks twice before acting, then thinks once more just for good measure. When faced with danger and adversity, he reveals hidden depths of character even he didn't know he had.                 

BOB: Mid-20's -- Jackass -- Bob is the guy everybodyelse at a party wishes they were. A smart guy who makes stupid decisions, just because they seemed like fun at the time.                      He would go anywhere and do anything for his friends, as long as it doesn't involve being serious.                 

TRAVIS: Mid-20's -- Baseball player -- In the movie of Travis' life, he unequivocally considers himself the star. Overtly cocky, but friendly and likeable all the same. He                      is beginning to slowly crack under the weight of high expectations.                 

GAVIN: Mid-20's -- Pushover -- Gavin is the ultimate tragic figure: the guy desperately and irrationally in love with the girl he can never in a million years have. Sadly lacking in social graces, he gets to be part of the group mostly by staying out of the way, although Bob particularly genuinely likes and feels sorry for the guy. Deep inside Gavin, however, something simmers.

RACHEL: Mid-20's -- Cheerleader -- Rachel is the girl guys convince themselves they could never get. Pretty to the point that, in the eyes of others, it becomes her sole distinguishing                      characteristic. A shame, because she also happens to be friendly, intelligent, and strong in times of crisis.

ALLISON: Mid-20's -- Rich Girl -- Materialistic and manipulative, but fun. Has made an art out of acting "above it all". Allison dishes it out a little better than she takes it, but she still manages to inspire fierce devotion.

BECKY: Mid-20's -- Tomboy -- Becky knows better than you do, and she's not afraid to let you know. She projects an image of toughness and infallibilty that is actually masking                      a severe lack of self-confidence. She even keeps her true  love secret out of fear of being deemed not good enough by her friends.

PARK RANGER: Male - 30's to 50's -- Been out in the woods alone for way too long. Seriously creepy without even realizing it. He tries to be helpful, but so lacks the ability to relate to other human beings that it just comes across as vaguely disturbing.

if this is a real movie (it may be) you might want to be realistic about geocaching. They may want to work on the demographics, it looks like they think all geocahers are 20 somethings. All they would have to do is going to a couple of event caches and get their heads out from were the sun does not shine. Of all the event cache I have attended, most of the cachers that have been attending them are in there 30s to 60s. But that would be expecting someone in hollywould to research a subject before going into production. But then again, this could be a movie about geocachers that are being hunted down by Jason of Freddy.

Movie quotes,

(Geocahers are looking for cache called Hand it over)

Betty: I found the ammo box, do you think we are goint to get first to find:

Tom: (Turning toward Betty) Gee, that would be cool

Betty:( opens box and screams droping box) EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Tom: Let me guess a fake rat in the box (Tom looks into the box) Betty, thats a real hand...

Betty (Screams pointing over Toms shulder)EEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Tom turns to look and sees Jason with a meat cleaver, after which he and betty make a donation for a new cache called "Don't lose your head"

movie title "Girly cacher man"

Gee this is so stupid it would make money, hmmm. maybe I should cahnge my geocache user name to Roger Corman, or Ed Wood. Above dialog and screen directins copywrited by Johnny Vegas 2004

;):D:D:D:D:D:D

Edited by JohnnyVegas
Yeah I am pretty sure that it is fake as it can be. There is no info given until you join the list. May want to exercise caution, or set up a new email and see how it pans out.

I have to agree the information just satisfy me enough. you heard all this from one guy <_< ?

that just doesnt seem right.

I just did a little Googling and found this and this. Neither one really proves anything, but I would think if they are advertising for resumes on a resource for the film industry, then its probably not a fake. I could be wrong, though <_<

I'd like to point out that I have seem MANY very nice and professionally done PHONEY web sites - so just cuz there is a web site don't prove nuttin' either.

Like the man said - just be careful -

cc

Just found this on an Indie movie web site:

23508e.jpg

Indieclub.com member Hallie Shepard had this on her profile:

Filming on "GPS" has wrapped and we are in the post-production/editing stage. Check out the soon-to-be updated www.gpsthemovie.com for details on this suspense/thriller feature that I recently produced, co-wrote, and acted in with many IndieClub.com members, including IndieClub.com President Eric Colley (director, producer, co-writer).

So where does one go to watch "Indie" films?

That's her I guess holding a GPSr.

23508e.jpg

Filming on "GPS" has wrapped and we are in the post-production/editing stage. Check out the soon-to-be updated www.gpsthemovie.com for details on this suspense/thriller feature that I recently produced, co-wrote, and acted in with many IndieClub.com members, including IndieClub.com President Eric Colley (director, producer, co-writer).

Well I better not post what I was going to post, it might get me in trouble again.

<_<:unsure:

I may go see this movie if it is real.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I was already disapointed when they actualy went through with the doom movie ,but now they are gonna make a B- horror movie out of (as the website calls it) NAVICACHING? :P

If this gets National attention (which this won't, but still) people will start lableing us as wierd people.

My drivers ed teacher already is saying "Well, what if there was a guy just, ya know, waiting for you or something? Isn't that kind of dangerous to do?".

I confess though, I might watch it.

Tell your driver's ed teacher that for someone to be "waiting there for you", they could have to wait for days, weeks, or months in some cases before they could find a victim. People don't visit caches for days at a time, sometimes.

If someone wants to do something horrible to another human being, they are going to wait outside a mall / theater / atm machine where they won't have to pack a lunch waiting for a victim.

YMMV.

Maybe I missed it, but nowhere on the site do they use the words "geocache" or "cache." Instead they say "treasure" and "GPS treasure hunting." As for the age of the cachers, I'm 25, and have to say that in my area it seems most cachers are 40+. I wouldn't object to any female 20-somethings joining the geocaching ranks, especially if they look like the ladies in this film. :P

Did anyone happen to look at the story page? It has something about a coffin with pictures inside it. Enter the coffin.

We could all go back on September 1st to see the trailer.

The (preview) Trailer Will Be

RELEASED

SEPTEMBER 1, 2005

Why does the contact page want a phone number?

Perhaps this whole thing has been set up by a geocacher just to promote something they have planned, and now everyone is taking it the wrong way.

people will start lableing us as wierd people.

Movie or not, my friends already do call us weird.

Another movie is being written now about some guy chasing his girlfriend's beany baby TB around the world, as I think I mentioned in a post in another topic a while back. Not sure what the status is of that one, though.

Plot Summary for

GPS the Movie (2006)

A group of adventure-seeking college friends embark on a GPS scavenger hunt in the Northwest wilderness. They are led to believe they will find two million dollars in cash. When they come to the treasure location they find what appears to be a small grave. They dig up the grave and find a small coffin that contains something shocking and confusing. Inside the coffin are photographs of a woman tied up and masked, and a new set of GPS coordinates deeper in the forest. The group must decide if the photos are real or just part of an elaborate game.

Hopefully, when muggles think about geocaching, this idea doesn't register in their minds. :D

Personally, I feel that GPS/geocaching could be a great premise for a movie, and I agree that the thriller genre is probably best suited, but a lot more thought, time and money probably needs to go into it to make it worthwhile. From what I've read about "GPS The Movie" here and on their website, I am a little skeptical about it. I think a lot more will be revealed once the trailer is available on the website.

I'll definitely be interested to see how it turns out if and when it is ever available for public viewing.

In the meantime, as a filmmaker myself, I'm always looking for stories to tell, and I think there could be a great story to tell with geocaching - just needs to be well written. I'll let you all know when I start casting. :o:D

I was cleaning out the bookmarks in my browser and saw that I had bookmarked this film's website. The trailers are now available, if anyone's interested. Based on the trailer, the film seems to be more about finding the bound woman in the pictures they saw than about hunting stuff with GPS. But that's to be expected as a crime thriller would attract viewers. I'd definitely watch GPS The Movie on video, but probably not at the theater. I hope the music at the end of the trailer is not the film's theme music.

I was cleaning out the bookmarks in my browser and saw that I had bookmarked this film's website. The trailers are now available, if anyone's interested. Based on the trailer, the film seems to be more about finding the bound woman in the pictures they saw than about hunting stuff with GPS. But that's to be expected as a crime thriller would attract viewers. I'd definitely watch GPS The Movie on video, but probably not at the theater. I hope the music at the end of the trailer is not the film's theme music.

The song "Going On a GPS Hunt" makes me feel sad to be a geocacher.

:huh:

Bret

I was cleaning out the bookmarks in my browser and saw that I had bookmarked this film's website.  The trailers are now available, if anyone's interested.  Based on the trailer, the film seems to be more about finding the bound woman in the pictures they saw than about hunting stuff with GPS.  But that's to be expected as a crime thriller would attract viewers.  I'd definitely watch GPS The Movie on video, but probably not at the theater.  I hope the music at the end of the trailer is not the film's theme music.

The song "Going On a GPS Hunt" makes me feel sad to be a geocacher.

:(

Bret

Were going on a GPS hunt. Me and Andrew... so cool!  :lol:

Hey, man. Like what if it's like a real hunt, you know?

I sure hope the trailer isn't like usual trailers that show all the good parts of the movie.

edit: to better label the quotes

Edited by Glenn

"There's nothing illegal about going on a GPS hunt"......except in South Carolina. That last song on the trailer is something straight out of Scooby Doo or Josie and the Pussie Cats, animated versions only.

I might rent it or wait for it to come to cable, doubt I'd go to a movie theater.

Edited by magellan315

23508e.jpg

Well I better not post what I was going to post, it might get me in trouble again.

:laughing::D

I may go see this movie if it is real.

"gps on?...check...headlights on?....check" :laughing:

It's real. I met with the producer over more than a year ago (I think it was the producer. I don't remember much about them except they looked like movie student types. I think I met the actress playing "Frankie" as well). They wanted Geocaching.com to provide funding for the movie but I showed them my lint filled pockets and shrugged. It's good they worked out the cost in getting their project going.

Honestly even if we had the money to support the project we wouldn't because of the subject matter. We show the site as "family friendly" and the whole suspense thriller vibe wouldn't be a good idea. The concept is interesting however, and I'm always up for a suspense thriller.

Edited by Jeremy
It's real. I met with the producer over more than a year ago (I think it was the producer. I don't remember much about them except they looked like movie student types. I think I met the actress playing "Frankie" as well). They wanted Geocaching.com to provide funding for the movie but I showed them my lint filled pockets and shrugged. It's good they worked out the cost in getting their project going.

Honestly even if we had the money to support the project we wouldn't because of the subject matter. We show the site as "family friendly" and the whole suspense thriller vibe wouldn't be a good idea. The concept is interesting however, and I'm always up for a suspense thriller.

Send them to the adult-oriented portion of Waymarking.com, and have the sister site provide the sponsorship. I'm sure Bootron would take a pay cut in exchange for the publicity. :laughing: