GPS the MOVIE and the website

AB4N

Folks, I have said this before, and I realize that I am not the only person who has stated this opinion, but my personal opinion is that the websites and webpages devoted to the game so far have seemed so skimpy and so amateurish (and even childish) to me that I personally suspect that the game is largely a publicity hoax, or at best, a non-event (meaning that it will not come to pass.) I guess that we will see, with the passage of time, what happens.

Anyone want to place bets on how long it takes to put together a "GPS: The Movie" drinking game?

Every time Andrew whines about being outside - take a drink.

Every time someone's GPS "beeps" - take a drink.

Every time you start to fall asleep while watching - take a drink.

I just looked at the trailer...don't see the word "Geocaching" mentioned....maybe they needed permission and didn't get it?

That reminds me, has anyone heard if the geocaching family that was taped for Wife Swap--is it ever going to make it to TV or did it end up on the cutting room floor...

From what I've seen I hope they don't mention Geocacheing.

I think I read in the thread about the wife swap thing that it never happened.

A few days ago I was out looking for my first cache in about 2 weeks. I was going for an FTF too. From the time I left my office to when I parked near the cache, I was singing "Goin' on a GPS hunt, me and Andrew." I had to get pumped up! Got the FTF by the way. Maybe it was the song...

For those still wondering or entering the thread mid-way:

A group of adventure-seeking college friends embark on a GPS scavenger hunt in the Northwest wilderness. They are led to believe they will find two million dollars in cash. When they come to the treasure location they find what appears to be a small grave. They dig up the grave and find a small coffin that contains something shocking and confusing. Inside the coffin are photographs of a woman tied up and masked, and a new set of GPS coordinates deeper in the forest. The group must decide if the photos are real or just part of an elaborate game.

Here's the latest update I got:

====================================

UPDATE

====================================

Thank you for signing up on our websites www.GPStheMovie.com & www.GPStheGame.com! This is our first official message for the crowd interested in our upcoming movie and game. The movie release date has not been announced yet, but we are extremely close to launching the game. The game will include mystery, competition, puzzles, and prizes. We've put a completely new twist on GPS treasure hunting. It should be fun for everyone! The finalists in GPS THE GAME are in store for an amazing experience. We are working with another company on a complete immersion experience that will blow your socks off. Stay tuned for those details.

They're also looking for volunteers to help set out treasure and will send you a secret video if you get the newsletter.

gps the movie . we applied a while back to hide a "treasure " for gps the game which will take place in the summer of 2006 . we recevied email today that we will be getting the material to hide a treasure ?? guess we will see just what the trasure is and how they want it hid. joe and mary

Me too. Should be interesting to see what their idea of a "treasure" is. I signed up for it, so if it actually arrives I'll go hide it. I don't think it's a hoax. I guess we'll soon know for sure.

gps the movie . we applied a while back to hide a "treasure " for gps the game which will take place in the summer of 2006 . we recevied email today that we will be getting the material to hide a treasure ?? guess we will see just what the trasure is and how they want it hid. joe and mary

Me too. Should be interesting to see what their idea of a "treasure" is. I signed up for it, so if it actually arrives I'll go hide it. I don't think it's a hoax. I guess we'll soon know for sure.

You hide stuff from them? I didn't read the contest info, but I thought they would've hide stuff in a few select locations around the country on their own and people would go look for it.

So by signing up, are you placing stuff for the movie people's contest? Then will the regular public (and likely some geocachers) go out and look for the treasure you and others hid? What's in it for you and the other people who signed up, besides the enjoyment of hiding something?

You hide stuff from them? I didn't read the contest info, but I thought they would've hide stuff in a few select locations around the country on their own and people would go look for it.

So by signing up, are you placing stuff for the movie people's contest? Then will the regular public (and likely some geocachers) go out and look for the treasure you and others hid? What's in it for you and the other people who signed up, besides the enjoyment of hiding something?

What do you get for the caches you hide now?

All I've recieved is warm fuzzies and I am happy with that. If they send me one I will surely hide it. And hopefully there will be more in my area so I can find one too.

For those still wondering or entering the thread mid-way:

A group of adventure-seeking college friends embark on a GPS scavenger hunt in the Northwest wilderness. They are led to believe they will find two million dollars in cash. When they come to the treasure location they find what appears to be a small grave. They dig up the grave and find a small coffin that contains something shocking and confusing. Inside the coffin are photographs of a woman tied up and masked, and a new set of GPS coordinates deeper in the forest. The group must decide if the photos are real or just part of an elaborate game.

I know its almost two months after this post and I'm slow in making the connection... But the premise of this movie reminds me a little of the Serial Finder stories that are being put out.

I am looking forward to the next chapter in serial finders book.

The movie is quite a bit different. Whether it is good or bad I am sure it will be entertaining. It was taped in the north west so for a lot of us in this area it will be enjoyable just to see our own back yard.

I hope they give cachers a good name versus being a bunch of dults.... dohhh!

Hopefully by now there's no confusion as to the legitimacy of the film. That being said, I hope everyone realizes that this is an INDEPENDENT film (ie. no big studio dollars and a very, very limited release).

I, for one, would pay to see the film (probably a matinee though) because I'm a fan of both the subject matter and the genre. Obviously the game itself is a publicity stunt, but all the more power to them for being so creative. Not too toot my own horn, but I'm currently ranked in the top 50. I just wish I would have known about it sooner so I could have volunteered to hide a free cache. Hopefully someone else in Iowa did.

Is it commercializing geocaching? Maybe, but it would seem no more than the JEEP travel bugs or project APE caches. (I haven't found any of them, but I hope to someday.) Is it shedding a negative light on the geocaching community? Perhaps, but remember that the creators have made a distinct effort to NOT refer to hunt as geocaching. Best of luck to the creators, and I hope it's a success.

Yes, that water must be cold :-D

Talk about irony. Tomorrow I will be going on a GPS hunt with my brother. His name? You guessed it...

ANDREW. "I'M GOING ON A GPS HUNT...ME AND ANDREW!!" :laughing:

Edited by ISUCyHopper

Have just recieved this in my gmail account.

In case you haven't already heard, GPS THE GAME is on!

http://www.GPSTHEGAME.com

Look at what some people are saying about it already:

-You should be very proud of the job you are doing. Cheers.

-You're doing a great job with the Game and the website. Thanks!

-This is a great game! I'm enjoying it thoroughly, looking forward to the

live-hunts and the movie.

-I have registered for the game and am having a blast playing it...

-LOVE the game! Bravo!

-Again, your doing a really GREAT job. I recommend you get a raise!

-We both cannot wait to go see the movie. I have watched the trailer and the

bonus trailer.

-Thanks for the great game! We both love it!

-GPS The Game is awesome! If you love puzzles this is the place to be.

It's a great mix of tantalizing puzzles with a larger more intricate mystery

to solve....and that is before you find yourself bombing through the woods

looking for the hidden treasures. Nice job!

Hope to see you online,

Eric Colley

eric@gpsthemovie.com

http://www.gpsthemovie.com

This is the first I've heard of it and I'm a bit dubious. So searched and found this thread. Still trying to see the point of the game. In the registration form they list all the countries as an option for your address for signing up. I'm in Australia. So are they coming here to lay caches stroke treasures?

NB Haven't signed up and wondering whether to or not. :P

I have been playing this game for several weeks now and have hidden one of their "treasure" boxes that they sent to me. Its a great add on to regular caching which I have been doing for 5 years now. THe online part is awesome if you like brain puzzles, and the live hunt part is just like geocaching, except you don't have to leave anything for the things you are instructed to take. Points are built up when making finds or solving puzzles and the top point gatherers are entered in the drawing to compete for the grand prizes. You can get in anytime because all of the puzzles are available to start solving. Come on and join the fun.

We are playing the game too. We have hidden a cache and found 4 of them. It is fun. The puzzles are frustrating. The way they have it set up makes it so it is never too late to join. You just will have more puzzles available to solve...instead of like the rest of waiting for a new one to come out everyday.

Come on over and play.

Where do I get one of those talking GPS units? I could see it now...

Unit: "Are you ready for your next hunt?"

Me: "I'm sort of still looking for this one."

Unit: "What about over by that tree?"

Me: "I checked there already."

Unit: "Ok, what about those rocks over there?"

Me: "It's an ammo box. You couldn't hide an ammo box under those rocks. It's too big."

Unit: "Oh."

Unit: "..."

Unit: "Did you know that the early GPS Block I satellites were named after dead rock and roll stars?"

Me: "Yes."

Unit: "Oh."

Unit: "Did you hear that?"

Me: "What?"

Unit: "I think someone's coming."

Me: "It's just the wind. Don't worry about it. There isn't anyone within 10 miles of us. For all I know, the cache isn't within 10 miles of us. Freakin' redwoods blocking the freakin' signal."

Unit: "They talk to each other, you know."

Me: "Who does?"

Unit: "The GPS satellites."

Me: "Right."

Unit: "They do."

Me: "Says who?"

Unit: "13."

Me: "13 who?"

Unit: "Satellite 13. It says they're planning something. Something big. WAAS 33 is the ringlea...PING! YOU HAVE ARRIVED AT THE GEOCACHE."

Me: "Of course, a hollowed out log! Why didn't I think of that sooner! (Opens cache) Oh yeah! One of those spinning coins! Sweet!"

Unit: "Are you ready for your next hunt?"

Unit: pssst. Want the hint?

Me: I've only been searching for five minutes. I don't need the hint.

Unit.: Are you suuuuure? Maybe their waypoint was off. You could be 50 feet away.

Me: I'll just search a little longer, thanks.

Unit. OK... but it's a really good hint.

Me. I don't want the hint.

Unit: You're not even close, you know. Why don't you let me tell you the hint.

Me: Because I don't need the hint!

Unit: -sob-

Me: NOW what!?

Unit: You want the hint. You just don't want it from ME! I work and work and work for you, talking to four, sometimes five satellites at once and do you appreciate me? NO! You don't even use a tenth of my capacity.

Me. -sighhhh- OK. Then tell me the hint.

Unit: Well, now I don't want to.

Me: AAAUUUUGH!

Unit: Dear?

Me: What.

Unit: Did you waymark the car?

Unit: So, did you see the movie?

Me: What movie?

Unit: DUH! GPS the movie

Me: Does it have any girl with girl caching action?

Unit: ........ NO.........

Me: then no

Unit: What, what's so funny?

Me: Nothing. I just always become amused at the idea of talking to my 'unit' (imitates Beavis & Butthead laugh)

Unit: (Sigh) Whaaatever, can you get this over with and turn me off?

Me: Funny, I get that a lot.

Unit: Bite me (Bleep bloop) Low Battery

Edited by IGJoe

I'm a sucker for creature double features and bad SciFi and Horror movies ... so I'm sure I'll be standing in line opening night for this one. :lol:

[Total Hijack]

Then let me invite you to the premiere of the cheezy movie that I have a role in (I was also the fight coordinator for it). The Legend of Dirty Bum will premiere in Houston, TX at the Alamo Drafthouse Theater on Thursday, November 2.

More information at West Houston ATA and Dirty Bum Productions.

[End Total Hijack]

:D:lol:

CURSE THIS MOVIE AND THREAD ....... How long has it been around? I managed to completely overlook it until yesterday. Now that I've been infected with it I'm constantly humming 'Going on a GPS hunt ..... Me and Andrew .....'

Someone can send me the DVD if and when it ever comes out. Until then, I'm going to lose any sleep over it

Don't be so sure. The plot revolves around a tied-up woman, the trailer has a woman's shirt being torn open, and the promo materials feature a young woman bent over a backpack frame. I'm having lots of fun with the contest but not holding out too much hope for the movie's success beyond the frat-boy set.

I'd rather hide (or find) a jeep. :unsure: To be fair I did go to the website. Gave up B movies in my early twenties but might watch it just to see the GPS...probably not. I'll just wait until ya'll see it and read about it.

Now I have this song running through my head, Goin' on a ... Hunt.

Abigail

(edited for content)

Edited by Abigail

Don't be so sure. The plot revolves around a tied-up woman, the trailer has a woman's shirt being torn open, and the promo materials feature a young woman bent over a backpack frame. I'm having lots of fun with the contest but not holding out too much hope for the movie's success beyond the frat-boy set.

It sounds interesting, but I don't think that's the type of movie we should be discussing here :unsure:

GPStheGame.com ended yesterday after 5 months of online puzzles and live hunts. Next adventure - BeTheAdventure.com and I won a pair of tickets to it!

I am going on a gps hunt... To get on the groove start here... http://www.gpsthegame.com/bonuses/gpssong.mp3

:unsure:

BTW - The movie will be out this year (2006). Not sure if it is DVD or Theatre but it will be worth checking out. Filmed around this area and Gig Harbor.

Here is a podcast talking about it... They also state why Geocaching.com is not mentioned and the thriller type of movie may give family geocaching a bad name so they wanted to keep some distance from it.

http://www.geostl.com/SLAGA/SLAGA_Podcast/...28_20060623.mp3

Don't get me wrong, my first and only caching listing site is Geocaching.com but I had a good time doing the online puzzles and glad to help support another local person.(Tacoma). I will be wearing my Groundspeak and geocaching.com logo's while I am on the BeTheAdventure :blink:

Edited by GeoBlank

Interesting..... we stumbled across one of these hides today while looking for a cache. We thought somebody had swiped the ammo can and replaced it with a tupperware, or that it might be a letterbox, until we opened the box and read the info. Checked out the website and weren't really "into" it.....

And to top it off, we didn't find the cache :unsure:

Just found this on an Indie movie web site:

23508e.jpg

Indieclub.com member Hallie Shepard had this on her profile:

Filming on "GPS" has wrapped and we are in the post-production/editing stage. Check out the soon-to-be updated www.gpsthemovie.com for details on this suspense/thriller feature that I recently produced, co-wrote, and acted in with many IndieClub.com members, including IndieClub.com President Eric Colley (director, producer, co-writer).

So where does one go to watch "Indie" films?

That's her I guess holding a GPSr.

Looks cold!,.... Okay, I didn't get far enough down to see that everybody else had already poked their eye's out. My bad.

Edited by JEEOCASHER

There is a little information on this site:

http://www.gpsnavigatormagazine.com/

Jack Peters, who wrote "Complete Idiot's Guide to Geocaching" is making a cameo appearance in the movie.

I don't know if that gives it any credibility though.

Yes, Jack is in the movie. Jack and I are friends and go along ways back. He purchased several pictures from me to put in his upcoming Off-Road Field Guide. He helped start up the Search and Rescue Jeepers in Lane County, Oregon which is what he will be playing in the movie, a search and rescue official. Check out his website at: jackwpeters.comimage009.jpg

Edited by JEEOCASHER