Is Simple Paperless possible

I was interested to know if there was any other more simple way than the following for paperless caching.

1 pocket query from internet

2 to GSAK on home PC

3 to Cachemate on portible pc, pocket pc, lap top or palm

I was wondering if their was a programme that could manage the data base on a home PC and a portable version.

Or if there was a small portable laptop that you could run the progrmme direct from the pocket query on.

At present this whole system seems uneccessarily complicated

ie

updating queries once a week, loading them onto GSAK, then transfering all that onto cache mate.

Surely it is possible to cut out the middle man and go straight from the query to the portable device?

Thanks for any help

I have found this forum to be of great use with friendly advice

I purchased the correct GPS after advice on here and I have had help with faulty map software

Paul

I was interested to know if there was any other more simple way than the following for paperless caching.

1 pocket query from internet

2 to GSAK on home PC

3 to Cachemate on portible pc, pocket pc, lap top or palm

You can miss out stage 2 by simply copying the file to the Pocket PC. I don't use Cachemate, but I imagine that it would open a GPX file in similar fashion to GPX Sonar. The way you describe it, GSAK looks redundant in this procedure.

Personally I prefer to filter and select using GSAK, then export the results to the Pocket PC, but you're after simplification of the procedure rather than trimming down the selection of caches.

IMHO and my two pennyworth, GSAK is not just a 'middle man' in this procedure, but a very important and integral part in order to refine the "raw" information you have acquired.

A quick example of this is the seperation of waypoints into their individual cache types. This is then used to export the waypoints with their corresponding icons onto your PDA. An extremely useful feature when travelling through unplanned and unknown territory. You can identify Trads easily and not waste time guessing wether the location you are at is a multi / mystery / trad or even parking!

Besides, using GSAK does not increase the procedure that much anyway.

You can get the PQ with a ebook and load that, however I have to agree with Sensei that GSAK is integral to the system I use. If you set up the Macros to read the PQ directly from your email and the export buttons then it is only 3 clicks and you're done.

It also means that the export to my GPSr is identical to the latest cachemate data.

Mostly by being lazy, I've ended up paperless with this setup:

- Get PQ into GSAK

- Load caches into GPSr

- Go caching

- Have phone ready for hint lookup via wap.geocaching.com

I get the odd DNF due to not having the spoiler, but I can't be bothered to spend the time required for the alternatives. :D

On a longer trip I might have my 1.1kg baby Sony laptop with a GPRS/Edge (2/2.5G) data card along with me. The company pays for those, though...

You can get the PQ with a ebook and load that, however I have to agree with Sensei that GSAK is integral to the system I use. If you set up the Macros to read the PQ directly from your email and the export buttons then it is only 3 clicks and you're done.

It also means that the export to my GPSr is identical to the latest cachemate data.

With a little bit of work it's possible to create a scheduled task on Windows which will import all your PQs into GSAK, apply an appropriate filter, and create the export, with no manual intervention whatsoever.

You just then need to connect your PDA or whatever and upload.

Through one of the many talented IT / GSAK gurus we have on this forum, I have a macro which sorts out the caches into seperate cache types (Trad/Multi/Mystery etc) ready for export to TomTom as POI files. This is fantastic.

What I would like to know, is there a macro that would sort out a database of caches in GSAK into Seperate GPX files which have been sorted by distance i.e. set a cache as a centre point and have the macro produce gpx files each containg caches between two distances 0 - 25 miles; 25.1 - 35 miles; 35.1 - 45 miles etc as an example.

These can then be loaded into cachmate / GPXSonar on the PDA. These files should be of a manageable size to aid file loading.

Anyone have any ideas?

Through one of the many talented IT / GSAK gurus we have on this forum, I have a macro which sorts out the caches into seperate cache types (Trad/Multi/Mystery etc) ready for export to TomTom as POI files. This is fantastic.

What I would like to know, is there a macro that would sort out a database of caches in GSAK into Seperate GPX files which have been sorted by distance i.e. set a cache as a centre point and have the macro produce gpx files each containg caches between two distances 0 - 25 miles; 25.1 - 35 miles; 35.1 - 45 miles etc as an example.

These can then be loaded into cachmate / GPXSonar on the PDA. These files should be of a manageable size to aid file loading.

Anyone have any ideas?

Do you want the macro to produce cache type based on distance or can the macro produce a mix of cache types for the multiple distances involved??

Keehote

I wonder if you could help me with a couple of questions

I looked at the beeline site and it seems interesting

is beeline a superior mobile database programme to cache mate?

it says i need a GPS receiver with NMEA outputi have a garmin gpsmap60csx is this ok?

If so would it be true that all I need is a decent pocket PC then download the beeline programme to my PC then download/ transfer it to a pocket pc.

Then all I need to learn then is how to work one database (beeline) and have a good portable option of cache waypoint management.

rather than two on the other option GSAK and Cachemate

I understand GSAK and cachemate are good programmes

But I am not really interested in managing stuff at home much mapping, listing etc all I do with gsak is search for caches using the various filters then I log the finds online.

If gsak and cachemate on a decent palm is the way to go I might do it but I am starting to confuse myself.

I spend too much time procastinating at home what to do and want a simple easy effective portable mobile database and waypoint manager.

Edited by pauliesg

Anyone have any ideas?

Do you want the macro to produce cache type based on distance or can the macro produce a mix of cache types for the multiple distances involved??

A mix. It is not necessary to sort them as it is the cache page I need access to. The 'type' seperation aids with identification visually on the GPS unit. Once a cache has been dentified, as long as you know which file it is in, finding it in GPXSonar is easy. You just centre the first cache and the rest fall in place. They do not need to be sorted into type.

Anyone have any ideas?

Here's a very simple macro that does exactly as you asked for.

If you want to tweak the distances, just look at the file in the macro editor, it should be fairly obvious which numbers need to be tweaked.

You can use GSAK to put the hint into your GPS and forget about the Palm. You can also use GSAK to add the difficulty rating, terrain rating, cache type and container type to the cache name. :)

I think this depends on the functionality of your GPSr. I think only the high end models will allow addition of notes and long names

Anyone have any ideas?

If you want to tweak the distances, just look at the file in the macro editor, it should be fairly obvious which numbers need to be tweaked.

Just downloaded the file and will play in a moment. One question though, I see it is a .gsk file, will it still work as a macro in V6 if I resave it as a txt file?

Oss!

Anyone have any ideas?

Just downloaded the file and will play in a moment. One question though, I see it is a .gsk file, will it still work as a macro in V6 if I resave it as a txt file?

Oss!

I've written it for v7. But, here is a v6 version.

Sense

thanks.

I now have all this set on the GPS unit.

I mucked around a bit but have set it to show cache size difficulty and terrain difficulty.

For paperless caching without using logs this is great.

Now if only Garmin had allowed another 20 character or so space in the note field we would really be laughing, that and another empty page with space for the cache description and 5 previous logs!

Sense

thanks.

I now have all this set on the GPS unit.

I mucked around a bit but have set it to show cache size difficulty and terrain difficulty.

For paperless caching without using logs this is great.

Now if only Garmin had allowed another 20 character or so space in the note field we would really be laughing, that and another empty page with space for the cache description and 5 previous logs!

Glad I could be of help. I will reproduce the email I sent, below. I totally agree, that Garmin have a huge (by comparison to what is used) notes page. Why oh why did Garmin restrict the number of characters to such a low number?

As for the rest of your suggestion, this would truly make the unit rate amongst the best devices to have, IMHO.

The email:

This is simple to do. Open GSAK. Choose GPS>Send Waypoints.

A dialog box will open as normal. Where it says "waypoint name" in the first line I put:

%smart %con1%drop2

Below, set maximum characters to 15 or so.

The first part, %smart, gives the SMART name of the cache. %con1 gives the Container type as 1 letter. ie S:small R:regular U:unknown M:micro L:large

%drop2 gives the GC ID# WITHOUT the GC prefix

So a typical example of a waypoint may be: -

MoatMoun SXFMW

Moat Mount Dollis Hill cache

Small container

GCXFMW

Then in Waypoint Description part of dialog box, put %hint

This will take the first 34 (I think) letters of the hint and place it on the GPS unit's note field. Useful if the hint is short or specific. Waste of time if the cache setter has used a hint like: This cache is hidden in the woods by the fallen tree.

You only get to see: This cache is hidden in the woo

You can now identify the cache name; size; GC code and the hint on one unit.

This works great on my GPS MAP60Cx.

Lester