60/76 Series POI Searches

Hi all. I was traveling home yesterday trying to locate a respectable size lake several hundred miles/kms from where I was - didn't even have a general idea. I did eventually find it ( There was a convenience store listed as a POI in the database with the same name), but the GPS would not locate it when I did a search using any parameter such as 'All POIs' or 'Find nearest' or 'Find by name'. The lake was named however on the map. I then experimented by doing searches for much more signifigant lakes using all three maps that are installed but still could not locate lakes (or rivers), even when they are clearly marked on the map. Am I doing something wrong?

GeoBobC is correct. I have City Select and Topo 2008 loaded on my 60Cx, and I can go to Find/Geographic Points/Menu/Select Category, and pick Water Features. I get all the lakes, ponds, rivers, streams, etc. Keep in mind the search results will list only the nearest 50 points, then any others are not shown. In my case I get 50 Water Feature points within 9.54 miles. I think if you don't hit the 50 point limit, there is a distance limit as well, I believe I found it to be one hundred nautical miles (or 115 mi). Don't ask me why, but that seems to be it.

"... keep in mind the search results will list only the nearest 50 points."

True. however you can first scroll the map to the approximate location you are searching for, and the center of the map will then be the starting point (distance = 0 miles) for your search.

True. however you can first scroll the map to the approximate location you are searching for, and the center of the map will then be the starting point (distance = 0 miles) for your search.

Correct again GeoBobC, good point!

From the 'Nearest' screen, you can then hit 'Menu' and choose the "Nearest Containing" option where you can type in a character string to limit the results. This should work well in a case where you know the name of what you are looking for, as the OP seemed to.

Edited by gnbrotz

Under what category are you searching? My unit has a "Geographic Places" category. See if yours has something similar. That would work better than "All POI".

I do have Geographic Palces. A submenu also allows to choose from water features or land or both. Regardless, I am unable to search for a lake; even US lakes. Have you other success?

I have found that there is a BIG difference when selecting 'nearest containg' and 'find by name'. One appears to not use distance as a cut-off. Regardless, I find it unusual that the search results are different when searching for the same thing. TO elaborate, one search will not show the same stores even within the cutoff distance. Perhaps has something to do with what maps it searches under when there are more than one in memory.

Looks like my original question was answered, lakes do not show up in searches except perhaps in Topo 2008.