Explorist 500 Loading cashes

Ok, I know its been said a million times a million ways, but I can't seem to get it.

I need a step by step instruction on how to upload maps from the GSAK to the Explorer 500.

Step 1 I am able to get a list of 100+ caches into the main screen on GSAK - - - - without running any filters or funky stuff, I try to upload all files (just to keep it simple) I go to step 2

Step 2 I get the dialog box to pop up with tons of options, with the GENERATE button at the bottom.

Question #1 - - - in the "REQUIRED FORMAT" Box do I select {Explorist POI'}or {Explorist Geocaches} or {Magellan Protocal (SD Card"}

My problem here is that I want to choose the Geocaches option, but I also want to save that info to the SC card, so what is the best choice?

QUIESTION #2

"File to create" Is killing me. I try to choose the folder that is on the SD card labeled Geocaches -----therefore the link would be F:\Geocaches\gsak.exe but already I think this is a problem, however I don't know why. I think the goal is to find the exact file on the SC card and save these 100+ caches in one pop.

But each time I think I have gotten it ======I only seen a piece of paper icon and not a geocach icon. When I clck on the paper, it takes me to a lower level folder but its empty. uggh

QUESTION#3

I read that I should change the box under waypoint name from %smart to something slightly different, but I can't remember what they said. I wish I could start off using the defaults then graduate slowly.

QUESTION #4

A clarification really-----I do have the GPSr set in the USB mode ----not just power on or NMEA DATA COMM -------also its set to SD card option.

For the first time user, in the EXPORT TO MAGELLAN EXPLORER dialog box, is there any other features I need to modify.

My goal is to upload a hundred or so Caches in the area and have them visible on the screen, yadda yadda.

Again, I have run through GSAK a dozen times, without any luck. When I finally do swith the mode of my 500 back to the power mode. I go into POI's the Geocaches and I find a new file, but it looks like a piece of paper, when I click on that it seems to take me into a deeper folder, and doesn't show the 100 caches I suspected had been loaded into that file from GSAK.

I'll owe you big time if you can help me solve thisl I'll also spend more time in the forum helping 5 people for every problem you help me with.

Under "File To Create", just pick a folder on your hard drive. Then use Windows Explorer & drag the file to either the SD Card or Internal Memory. I keep all the geocaches & POI files in Internal Memory. I keep all my detail maps on the SD Card. Under Geocache ID put %con1-%smart. This will put a letter in front of the smart name showing the container size (S=Small, M=Micro, R=Regular). Under Geocache Name put %Name. Required Format is Explorist Geocaches. I've alway found it easier to create my files on the hard drive & just drag them over to the Explorist. The Explorist looks like just another hard drive. This goes for geocaches & detail maps. Let me know if I can help further.

Question #1 - - - in the "REQUIRED FORMAT" Box do I select {Explorist POI'}or {Explorist Geocaches} or {Magellan Protocal (SD Card"}

You want the Geocaches option. According to the GSAK help file, the Magellan Protocol file is a plain text file in which each line represents a waypoint description consisting of a comma-separated list of values. I forget what it's good for since I never use it.

File to create" Is killing me.

It sounds like you're getting the "where" but missing the "what." You need to supply a name for the file. So your value for the field should say something like "F:\Geocaches\MyCaches.gs" Use whatever you want for MyCaches.

I read that I should change the box under waypoint name from %smart to something slightly different, but I can't remember what they said. I wish I could start off using the defaults then graduate slowly.

That's a fine plan. The defaults work ok; the customization is just personalizing things the way you like. Look up Special Tags in the Help files when you're ready to get fancy.

It sounds like you have only a detail or two off, but here is a step-by-step description for what you're wanting to do.

Embra,

You said the "what" but not the "where", and at first I didn't believe that could be the problem. In fact I still don't understand it. I added the where and poof, it showed up perfectly.

Unbelievable. Unbelievable. ---did I say I can't believe it. (can you tell how happy I am)

At this time I am getting ready to DL the caches to my Palm515, but because I can use my laptop as I go, it's not a critical---but it's sure sweet.

Thank you, Very much.