SEIGO Geocointest

Mr.Explorer3

acd2b5bc-e525-4392-b72a-a91aca06d28a.jpg

SEIGO=South East Idaho Geocachers Operative was formed in October of 2004 to deal with a local cache theif. It has now grown into a small website forum (www.seigosite.com), local geocaching games, and local events. This is our first geocoin and we were proud to be the first with the shape of our state.

This cointest is simple, the 68th post will win a black nickel SEIGO geocoin.

All you have to do is make a post listing bad things people have done to caches or caching.

You may list the same thing more than once if you have had something like a stolen geocoin happen more than once but please limit it to once per incident. (2 stolen coins = 2 posts)

Please list the type of geocoin or the type of cache if that is what you are referencing.

Game on.

Okay, I'll go first. I put out an ammo can cache (Urban Jungle - GCYTTY) in a nice open space in the middle of the city filled with goodies to counter the urban micro trend we'd all been growing addicted to. The locale was a beautiful oakland meadow with a nice paved walkway that meandered behind some huge properties and mansions. I had also added some pretty good swag so I made it clear in the description that I hoped people would trade fairly.

One of my first finders thought it was good form to post in his log that he took a micro cache container (scuba type not bison) worth about $8 and left NOTHING. This was from an experienced local regular. Talk about feeling insulted. Now if he'd taken the darned thing and said nothing I'd never have been the wiser but to post the obviously uneven trade, swipe, was a bad precedent.

We had a local area cache with a dinosaur theme (small dino toys. stickers, even a dino-shaped logbook) in the woods off a local trail.

Well, my guess is that some malicious kids found it and decided to use it for their woodland toilet. Logbook pages == toilet paper. Everything was stuffed back into the cache and the lid was sealed. :D

Needless to say, we came out as quickly as possible wearing our hazmat gloves and with a heavy duty trash bag after a finder reported the mess and trashed out the whole thing.

We had a local area cache with a dinosaur theme (small dino toys. stickers, even a dino-shaped logbook) in the woods off a local trail.

Well, my guess is that some malicious kids found it and decided to use it for their woodland toilet. Logbook pages == toilet paper. Everything was stuffed back into the cache and the lid was sealed. :D

Needless to say, we came out as quickly as possible wearing our hazmat gloves and with a heavy duty trash bag after a finder reported the mess and trashed out the whole thing.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Ewwwwww is right!

Wasn't my cache, but another local cacher had a similar thing happen ... to his micro (film can). GCX9V9 They "filled" the can and wrote "stool sample" on the lid! Ya just gotta wonder......

The very first traveling geocoin (Hawai'i Micro) I ever released was in a brand new geocache that I was first to find, it was also my long awaited 100th find after over 3.5 years of geocaching. Needless to say pretty special to me.

4 finders (all 200+ to 2000+ finds) and 2 months later someone finally reported that the geocoin wasn't in the container. I had labeled, bagged, and thoroughly stated it was a travel bug, but I guess someone decided to just keep it. Since then I have decided no more of my geocoins go out unless they have UGLY drilled holes...of which I am still working on :D

Someone sure ruined the fun for others because that first experience has kept me from releasing anything since April of this year.

Edited by TokyoBlossom

My very first Travel Bug was stolen. I put a cute little TB in a new cache I just hid. (It was my second hide). The TB had a mission of traveling across the US by train. Well, along comes a cacher with only 2 finds, he takes it and posts a note on the TB page that he is going to the Caribbean on vacation soon and that he will drop it off there. That was the last I heard of it. The cacher never made any other finds, and my TB was lost. I attempted to contact the cacher several times by email, but got no response. I ended up burying my TB at sea in one of the virtual TB graveyards.

A couple of cachers and I went to a boat-only 5/5 cache to find an ammo can. Seems hunters found it first, took the geocoin, left a full beer and ziplock full of fish guts, logged about it, and then shot the can with a shotgun. With the rain we've had this year, the cache was underwater with all of the contents marinating. Disgusting.

I was excited about driving down to Tampa, Florida for the Outback Bowl this January (where Penn State beat Tennessee), and we stopped off in Hilton Head (where we met and got married). I saw that there was a TB Hotel in the main road on the island. It was around midnight and I dropped off a new TB that was the Oakcoins 2006 Holiday Coin that they sent. I loved the coin and thought that I would send some holiday cheer to others. By 10am the next morning there was another log with mention that there were no coins or TB's in the cache. Within 10 hours of placing it.....it was gone. I wrote to hte cacher who went after me, but no reply and no TB. I wrote to the cache owner as well since there was 4 or 5 other coins listed in the cache that were not there when I arrived. It seems like someone must have had the cache on their watch list and went in and took all the good swag.:D

I had a coin stollen during a 'trade'. A cacher had a coin to trade and I offered a trade, and it was accepted. I sent my coin, and I never heard any more from him. I didn't get the promised coin, he wouldn't respond to any of my emails, and I even learned that he had done this same thing to others. He was in Europe, I'm in the US. So, since it was early in my coin trading experience, it made me a little leary about trading overseas - but, I got over it. This guy stopped posting for trades, and I've still never learned what happened. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, he could have been sick, or otherwise occupied and couldn't complete the trade as agreed. But, on the other hand, he probably got better. Unless of course he didn't and that would be bad, but he continues to log caches (I've checked his profile).

Ya know, I don't know if this thread was such a good idea. It's so depressing ;) Most geocachers out there are good people, just like most muggles out there are good people. Let's try to keep that in mind while we're crying about our bad experiences.

Well, on to the cointest. This one is for hubby, GrouchoMark. He has one hide. His first hiding spot had a fairly high terrain rating, mostly because of soft sand and mud. After several finds, it got muggled. So he moved it. After quite a few more finds, it got muggled, so he moved it farther. After lots of finds, the ammo can got muggled! All the swag was left on the ground, they only took the ammo can! It is now in it's 4th hiding spot and has been found many times, and (cross your fingers) hasn't been muggled yet. The last 3 hiding spots have been 1-1, kid-friendly, and the swag is mostly toys. We go out and check on it probably once a month, and refill it to the top with more toys (and remove the broken junk). The kids love it, and several cachers have made this cache their first find! So, I guess this story actually has a happy ending!

The Gnome - Reloaded

;) Okay, horror story number one: Our very first trackable item we sent out into the world has not gone very far, at all. We activated the TB and sent it out on the mission of visiting caches near ports, take pictures please. It is a ship's coin from my first ship. The first person to pick it up dropped it off close to home but no big deal as it had been sitting in the only cache it had ever been to for two months. The second person to pick it up, LOST it for about three weeks. He e-mailed to let us know he could not find it. Maybe Vis Per Mare was born under a bad sign? He found Vis and placed him in a cache. The third person to pick up Vis was planning a trip abroad BUT the trip was cancelled so he re-released Vis. Cacher #4 picked up Vis and unkindly dropped him in a cache accessible by water only and not often visited. Still in the same city, same state, six months after release. Perhaps stating the mission as to visit caches near ports was misleading? My husband retrieved Vis and took him on a trip to Maryland. Our friend is trying to reschedule his trip abroad but I am afraid that if I give him Vis back, the curse will follow and the trip will be cacncelled again. :)

I had a cacher grab one of my coin and hold on to it for a few months. After about 3.5 months of it in their hands I sent them a very nice email asking when they get the chance to drop it back in a cache. This was the one and only email I sent to them and they sent me a reply telling me to get off there backs and they would move the coin with they wanted to and if I emailed them again they would throw it in the river. They did however get it back into a cache a few weeks later so all worked out.

Jake

Next........

Well, my guess is that some malicious kids found it and decided to use it for their woodland toilet. Logbook pages == toilet paper. Everything was stuffed back into the cache and the lid was sealed. :)

I never had that happen, but close. I got a log that someone had answered nature's call #2 practically next to where I had a cache hidden in a park. I went and used a stick to chuck the pile away from the cache, but the most annoying thing was the fact there was a pit privy in the park probably less than a hundred feet away. ;)

This isn't really BAD, like a cache being destroyed or a TB being stolen, but it was a bit dissapointing because my TB was so close to completing it's mission - sort of like Monopoly when you get a card that says "Go To Jail, Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Get $200".

I had a TB that had a mission to go above the Arctic Circle in Alaska. It did get to Alaska, but not up to the Arctic Circle. However, as soon as it got put into a cache, another cacher had taken back to Washington State where it sat in a cache for quite a while before being

found. Well, it traveled around the western US for awhile, then got into a cache right next to the

pier where the ships leave to go to Alaska. Wow, the perfect spot to be picked up and taken on

the ship up to Alaska. Well, along comes someone who picks the TB up and they take it

to the southeastern US. It's still traveling around the country (which is good), hopefully it will make

it's way back up to Alaska some day to fulfill it's mission completely.

I modified a bird feeder and hid a cache in it and hung it from a tree in a wooded section of a park.

It was fine for over a year, until some kids must have been wandering around and decided to smash it.

They left the plastic container with all the geocaching swag at the bottom of the tree, but the birdhouse was beyond repair. I replaced it and this time it only lasted about 6 months before someone took the entire birdhouse this time, and again, the geocaching stuff was just left on the ground. I wasn't going to try again, so I archived the cache after that.

Edited by stellarscapes

I found a condom in a cache once......Lucky for me it had not been used. I removed it with gloves non the less.

That is just wrong ... I once came across a cache that had a Copperhead snake sunbathing on the branches covering the cache. I was not sure the type of snake at the time, but others who came after me verified.

Ya know, I don't know if this thread was such a good idea. It's so depressing :laughing: Most geocachers out there are good people, just like most muggles out there are good people. Let's try to keep that in mind while we're crying about our bad experiences.

I agree, but I still think the idea for a free coin is a good one. Maybe a better topic next time.

Well, this story has a HAPPY ENDING !!

One of my TB's disappeared from a cache. It was still listed on the cache inventory,

but it was gone. The cache owner emailed me and said my TB was no longer there.

Well, I gave up on it and a year went by. Suddenly, out of nowhere, I see that my

lost TB has just been placed in a cache. I checked the log for that cache and it seems

about 20 TB were left in that cache by the same person. His log stated that he had

stolen these TBs out of other caches, and after a year or so, he finally decided to get

rid of them, so he just put them all in one cache. I can't image what would possess

someone to take TBs purposely just to hold on to them for a very long time, then

suddenly decide to place them in a cache (and then take the time to log them all in).

So my TB is happily travelling again, and hopefully will live happily every after...

Ya know, I don't know if this thread was such a good idea. It's so depressing :laughing: Most geocachers out there are good people, just like most muggles out there are good people. Let's try to keep that in mind while we're crying about our bad experiences.

I agree, but I still think the idea for a free coin is a good one. Maybe a better topic next time.

This topic is very good for our group because it has caused us to get together and be more proactive in the geocaching community. We put on geocaching games, meetings, and classes to teach noobs and others the original intent of geocaching. Because we know each other so well we have few problems these days and some will say few micros and high quality caches.

My now ex husband (future post) and I were out caching with a few other geocachers (also future post) and the female part of the other caching group we were with decided she needed to use the restroom on the path leading to the cache. The next person walking this trail to the cache got a pretty unpleasant surprise if they weren't watching where they were going. That was one of the last times I ever cached with her.

Probably the most insulting thing to happen to me was not a muggled cache, a stolen geocoin, missing tb or an unfair trade.

Quite simply it was when a person I introduced to geocaching (in a country other than my own) and supported through the early stages, gave coins to etc. etc. snubbed me. I returned to the country where they live and had planned to go caching with them as we were spending the weekend in the same place, only to find they got up and went caching without me "because we thought it would be too much for you with the wheelchair" ... yeh right ... so how do you think I found several hundred other caches then?

It sucks when people care more about the numbers and logging coins they have never seen than about the people who have introduced them to this hobby of ours! :tired:

IN 2002 the third cache I ever found was muggled. The bad thing was I had my whole family pumped up to go caching for the first time.

We show up in the Oregon woods with what looked like garbage scattered all around. It was our first muggled cache. At least we found the log book, and kind of pieced it back together in a baggy.

We found a cache one time with a puddle of mystery liquid in the bottom. Didn't have any supplies to change it out so we dumped out the liquid and sent the owner a message letting them know. Not sure if someone put the mystery liquid in the container or if the lid didn't get put back completely secure and let water in. Of course, it really didn't look like water but one can hope.

Wow, not too many horror stories. Our cache thief was around for about two years and I had to replace different caches a dozen times. Explorer3 seemed to be picked on worse as she has way more caches out and was replacing 1 or 2 a week.

It ended when he started e-mailing a fifteen year old cacher through GC and sexually soliciting her, that is when the police and Groundspeak got heavily involved. He was using 7-8 different names and would actually argue with his other names in posts. He was banned from GC.com and has since not been trouble as we found out who he was.

Keep the posts coming, I want to give away a geocoin.

After this one, only 29 more 'horror' stories to go....

My caching partner lost a brand new geocoin at an event. Normally that would not be remarkable -- I understand it happens all the time -- but this was an event to celebrate his achievement of 1000 finds, and he was launching this new coin at the event. All the other TB's and coins eventually found their way but this poor little SC geocoin never turned up.

So, overall, not too 'horrible', but I'm sure we're all saving our truly grisly tales for post #68. :laughing:

With all these horrible stories about geocoins and TBs, I'd like to add a story that is NOT horrible, it just shows you what a small world we live in.

I had a new geocoin and dropped it off at GW5 with a goal of traveling the world and getting lots of miles. Someone picked it up and took it to Germany. It traveled around Germany for a short time before being taken to Canada. So after traveling over 8500 miles, it ended up in a cache somewhere in Ontario Canada. Along comes a geocacher that I know who lives about 5 minutes away from me. She's visiting Canada, is doing some caching, and ends up finding my geocoin in one of the caches she found.

I will tell a good story but it is only because there is a bad story that took place first...

"Up the Irons" cache I have placed went missing - That is the bad part of the story.

The funny thing is that I had a bison capsule placed in a hidden well preserved place that was taken a couple days after the cache went live. Because I knew several people solved the puzzle and wanted to get the cache, I took a film canister and just zip tied it to the location and it was hanging out pretty visible. That lasted for a year and had no issues. Until towards the end it went missing.

Another cacher went looking for it and saw a couple others had a DNF. They also coudl not find it and actually placed a new container where it should be and then emailed me to validate where they put it and that I was ok with them doing it.

I have seen/heard of several cachers who have replaced containers as well as do other maintenance. It is awesome. It also motivates me to leave caches in better condition than I found them.

Geocoin idea: The Good Samaritan. Give someone a coin that helped you or leave it behind just because :laughing:

green jeep went missing right after it was placed in a cache when the contest first started. The tags were left behind, but the jeep wasnt there.

THis prompted me to go to walmart and buy a couple of the same green jeeps so i could replace missing ones. havent found one that was missing yet tho.

ALso, I had a TB being held by a cacher for over 4 months. When I wrote them a nice note to ask if they were going to move the bug and even offereing to pay for postage to return it, I got a very rude email and a week or so later, they placed the bug in a remote cache. Luckily, the cache was found again shortly after and the bug rescued.

i once found a decon that was in the notch of a tree. apparently in the winter the notch filled with water ,and then froze. it was a mess. the decon was split open like a banana and the log book was a solid block of ice.

the cache has since been given a new container and new hiding spot :laughing:.