LEO A good Experience

was out tonight looking to hide a new cache in town after work, was stopped while I was out walking the area. after showing id and going through the stop proceedures, he asked me what I was doing and proceeded to explain geocaching to him.

there was a cache in the area previously that is now archived, so he knew a bit about "electronic treasure hunting". after going back to work I printed out a brochure, then met him back at the police station to explain things in more detail. I took several caches inside with me ( nano to large loc-n-loc). let him look things over and told him this is a family sport. He loved the CITO idea, and that we are not out there to Trash in but to trash out. when he asked about hiding caches, I told him we have rules that we go by, and that there are reviewers that double check things before the cache is published online. he liked the idea that once places a cache to bring people to an area of interest in towns, plus he added, cachers bring money to spend at local stores when there. :huh:

the thing that made me feel good, they were having a meeting at the end of the week, and he was going to bring up geocaching, the containers and the sport to the rest of the dept. even the dispatch lady was very interested in geocaching when I left tonight.

oh the reason he stopped to check things out. there is an area where I was first looking to hide a cache that is frequented by drug dealers and kids drinking beer. :D I noticed those signs in that area, and proceeded to find a new area to hide the cache. :)

Yes, I do have permission to hide more caches in town. :)

TG

We met a couple of cops out on an old-fashioned foot patrol in Bisbee, Arizona while seeking Bisbee Stair Climb I. This clever puzzle requires you to find a series of photo-waypoints enroute to the final cache. The waypoints are identified by closely cropped photos of small architectural details.

We explained our quest to the cops and they immediately got it, thought it was great, and helped us search. They knew all the obscure nooks of town and guided us to them. (Bisbee is an old mining town built into a hillside, and its neighborhoods are accessed by narrow, winding streets and an amazing collection of rickety stairs; without inside information you run into a lot of can't-get-there-from-here situations.)

was out tonight looking to hide a new cache in town after work, was stopped while I was out walking the area. after showing id and going through the stop proceedures...

Just out of curiosity, why did he stop you? It sounds like you had a good experience, but in America the police are not allowed to stop and demand ID unless they have a reasonable and articulable suspicion that you have, are, or are about to commit a crime. In other words, they cannot stop you and demand ID unless they believe you are involved in a crime (and can articulate that belief). It is a violation of your civil rights for them to stop you if that legal threshold hasn’t been met.

Is there more to this?

was out tonight looking to hide a new cache in town after work, was stopped while I was out walking the area. after showing id and going through the stop proceedures...

Just out of curiosity, why did he stop you? It sounds like you had a good experience, but in America the police are not allowed to stop and demand ID unless they have a reasonable and articulable suspicion that you have, are, or are about to commit a crime. In other words, they cannot stop you and demand ID unless they believe you are involved in a crime (and can articulate that belief). It is a violation of your civil rights for them to stop you if that legal threshold hasn't been met.

Is there more to this?

it was because he first saw me in the area where the Drug dealing goes on, then I moved to another part of the area. I had my gps in hand and was and walking suspisiously around the areas. lol cant blame him for not checking things out. had nothing to hide anyway errr illegally that is. lol

I like the idea that you mentioned CITO. It is great for caching.

I wish i could see the stats on how many actually do it though. In our area i have found several caches with many, many finds and trash around them. Not new looking trash, but trash that appears to have been there a long time. Sometimes within a couple of feet of the cache. I have a feeling that the majority of people do not CITO. :D

You be better off finding cachie in the desert and the woods

besides I rather bury my cachie and give out the gps accordance on this site.

are you supposed to have piece of mind why geocaching?

You may want to have a look at the Sage One thread gong on in this forum. Buried caches are a no-no. ;)

You be better off paying more attention in school. :)

I've had more than a couple of encounters with LEO's while I've been caching and everyone except one was pleasant.

It seems that a suburb of Nashville has a no cruising law, so a 3-4 car caravan of cachers out past 10 PM violates this law. We were asked to leave town and not return until dawn. But nicely. ;)