To activate or not...

cgmoyer

Just starting collecting geocoins. I have a few that I went right ahead and activated, knowing I am not going to release them. I also have 2 more that will be released in the near future.

I also have a couple that I did not activate. I figured I would orignally activate them all and it would give me a nice little list and icon of each one on my profile page.

I then noticed that when people sell/trade, they always seem to be unactivated.

In the event I did want to trade or sell off a collection in the future, how hard would it be to unload if they are activated?

Thoughts?

Just starting collecting geocoins. I have a few that I went right ahead and activated, knowing I am not going to release them. I also have 2 more that will be released in the near future.

I also have a couple that I did not activate. I figured I would orignally activate them all and it would give me a nice little list and icon of each one on my profile page.

I then noticed that when people sell/trade, they always seem to be unactivated.

In the event I did want to trade or sell off a collection in the future, how hard would it be to unload if they are activated?

Thoughts?

I am still in the activation stage. I have a few that I have not activated for possible trades in the future. If I know that I do not want to part with the coin, I activate it and share my coin collection with others at events to "discover" and gain the icon.

Just my thoughts

You can still sell activated coins, but you won't get as much. It's kind of like taking the action figure out of the blister pack; it's still collectible, but the perceived value is less.

I thought the same thing but I contact somone who was selling their collection and the coins were activated and had lots of logs associated with them. Here is what I got:

25$> Colorado Geocoins

20$> Wyoming Geocoins

18$> Ontario Geocoins

Seemed high for someone trying to sell their collection. I don't know the market that well though.

Edited by Atwell Family

I've activated some trackable coins in my collection for taking to events so people can discover them and get the icon in their profile. Most of my trackable coins will never be activated, makes it easier to trade if I desire, although I've traded for a few activated coins and had them adopted over to me.

It's really a matter of personal preference. WHat's more important to most people is whether or not they have traveled and have logs on them.

Adopting an activated coin out is no big deal and most people wanting the coin won't really care. Now, if the coin has a bunch of "Discovered It" logs, that can be less attractive to a buyer/trader.

It's really a matter of personal preference. WHat's more important to most people is whether or not they have traveled and have logs on them.

Adopting an activated coin out is no big deal and most people wanting the coin won't really care. Now, if the coin has a bunch of "Discovered It" logs, that can be less attractive to a buyer/trader.

Just depends on who discovered it or found it.

And where it has actually been.

My Lewis and Clark and ARK-MO coins have been down the entire trail with me.

Along with many others coins in here now.

Some are activated some are not.

I tend to think if you are an outgoing GEO* like me......the miles have meaning and history.

Who knows what if I died ...some would say who cares.

Other might want just a little piece of that geocacher history.

So really it is up to you.

It's really a matter of personal preference. What's more important to most people is whether or not they have traveled and have logs on them.

Right now I am somewhat torn. I have a couple of "gifts" which I have recently received. Both are very limited minting (less than 50 I think) and I know that at least one is highly desirable. I don't plan on trading or selling either of them as they were from cachers I know. Part of me wants to activate them so others can discover them, and another part wants me to keep them "mint". I think I will buy another (more easily available) copy of the same coin and activate it allowing people to see the "precious" ones, and still get the icon by discovering the activated one.

I have gotten different responses from people I have talked to about this, but most seem to be shocked by the fact that I would even consider activating these coins. They look at me like I'm buying valuable stamps and then using them to mail a post card (like in Brewster's Millions)...