Cachemate

I am just about paperless having got an IPAQ with in built GPS - but I am currently still using the trusty Etrex for actual navigation to the cache.

Tomtom on the IPAQ works well and Cachemate gives me the cache information.

It should be possible to do away with the Etrex but I can't get the CacheNav extension to work properly. It just gives a compass rose with a direction to the cache but the compass does not reflect the current direction of travel. Am I doing something wrong or is CacheNav just not up to the job?

Many thanks,

Trevor

I am just about paperless having got an IPAQ with in built GPS - but I am currently still using the trusty Etrex for actual navigation to the cache.

Tomtom on the IPAQ works well and Cachemate gives me the cache information.

It should be possible to do away with the Etrex but I can't get the CacheNav extension to work properly. It just gives a compass rose with a direction to the cache but the compass does not reflect the current direction of travel. Am I doing something wrong or is CacheNav just not up to the job?

Many thanks,

Trevor

Your PDA/GPS probably doesn't have an in built compass unlike your Etrex, so it only know which direction you are facing if you are moving above a certain speed.

Simon

Your PDA/GPS probably doesn't have an in built compass unlike your Etrex, so it only know which direction you are facing if you are moving above a certain speed.

Simon

Thanks for your suggestions guys. The smittyware forums suggest that the internal GPSr may not be providing the right information. Since it is supplied with TomTom I guess Simon may be right and it may not work if moving too slowly.

Its not too bad using the IPAQ for the logs and the old Etrex for the search - the display is much clearer in bright daylight anyway ;)

Cheers,

Trevor