Pre-Sale For Big Bear Cache Bash III Geocoins

SoCalGeocoins

There is a trust issue with your company. You said you were going to wait to mint the iCache coin, and then went right ahead and minted it. It came out a month later.

Now here are two issues:

1. What makes you think that you can undercut the event organizers by creating an event coin, and you apparently were not an event sponsor?

2. Did you have permission to use the art on the back side?

Maybe you are unsure of how things are done. Perhaps you should come in here for more than just posting tons of coins for sale. Get involved in conversations. If you were on these boards for any amount of time, you would know that we want quality coins and great designs, something that many feel the coins you are producing is lacking.

Let's set things straight. As far as the iCache coin goes... We had a coin in production when my son and I came up with the idea for the iCache. We put the thread in here to see what people thought about the design. It wasnt until after we posted our design that someone said there was already one being minted. We waited one month to give the other people a chance to get theirs out. I did not steal their idea for that coin. That design idea came from my 15 year old son who thought it would be cool. So please stop saying that we stole that idea or being trust worthy. There was never a post BEFORE ours saying that someone else was making that coin. We have NEVER looked through the posts to steal ideas for any coins.

Nan

The idea for the Big Bear Cache coin was my idea. We really enjoyed the event last year and purchased a coin from the event. They had to wait until 250 coins were purchased before the minting was started to start production on that coin, which is understandable. It took 3 months after the event to get the coin. I thought it would be a nice idea to have a coin in hand at the event to compliment the original event coin. We asked Mandysmom if we could make a coin and she agreed. Yes maybe we should have given them more details about the coin but I thought since events have more than one event coin they wouldnt mind.

Our intension were not to undercut anyone. We had talked about contributing some coins to the event for the raffle and to the makers of the event. And also giving some of the profits for next year to help pay for the event. Nan sent Mandymom an email on Friday saying that we were going out of town until Sunday and didnt get to iron out the details. We got a message on our voicemail and an email saying it was okay if we changed a few things then an email saying to cease and desist. Which we have.

The picture on the front of the coin is her daughters design. Since others have used logos for coins I didnt feel as if using the big bear lake logo was a problem such as using a Disney or Warner Brother which are huge companies. This is a town logo we are talking about. What about Route 66 or highway 10 logo, I could go on.

Matt

Maybe you are unsure of how things are done. Perhaps you should come in here for more than just posting tons of coins for sale. Get involved in conversations. If you were on these boards for any amount of time, you would know that we want quality coins and great designs, something that many feel the coins you are producing is lacking.

Before our Honk coins we never went into the forums. We thought the forums were here to answer questions and to share ideas. We quickly found out that it was not just that.

We stopped coming into the forums for chat because of all the bashing, whining and complaining that people are doing. We have gotten a lot of compliments on the quality and designs on our coins. Again, if you dont like our coins please dont buy them.

We are a fairly new company. All our coins were our designs that we thought other cachers would enjoy. The money we get for our coins goes right back into producing new coins, not for profit.

Matt and Nan

Edited by SoCalGeocoins

Let's set things straight. As far as the iCache coin goes... We had a coin in production when my son and I came up with the idea for the iCache. We put the thread in here to see what people thought about the design. It wasnt until after we posted our design that someone said there was already one being minted. We waited one month to give the other people a chance to get theirs out. I did not steal their idea for that coin. That design idea came from my 15 year old son who thought it would be cool. So please stop saying that we stole that idea or being trust worthy. There was never a post BEFORE ours saying that someone else was making that coin. We have NEVER looked through the posts to steal ideas for any coins.

Nan

A month is certainly not enough time. The fact remains in that thread you said you would not produce your iCache coin until later and then you went ahead and did it anyways. The trust issue comes into play when you went back on your word. A month is not enough time to wait.

The idea for the Big Bear Cache coin was my idea. We really enjoyed the event last year and purchased a coin from the event. They had to wait until 250 coins were purchased before the minting was started to start production on that coin, which is understandable. It took 3 months after the event to get the coin. I thought it would be a nice idea to have a coin in hand at the event to compliment the original event coin. We asked Mandysmom if we could make a coin and she agreed. Yes maybe we should have given them more details about the coin but I thought since events have more than one event coin they wouldnt mind.

Our intension were not to undercut anyone. We had talked about contributing some coins to the event for the raffle and to the makers of the event. And also giving some of the profits for next year to help pay for the event. Nan sent Mandymom an email on Friday saying that we were going out of town until Sunday and didnt get to iron out the details. We got a message on our voicemail and an email saying it was okay if we changed a few things then an email saying to cease and desist. Which we have.

The picture on the front of the coin is her daughters design. Since others have used logos for coins I didnt feel as if using the big bear lake logo was a problem such as using a Disney or Warner Brother which are huge companies. This is a town logo we are talking about. What about Route 66 or highway 10 logo, I could go on.

Matt

Like has been mentioned who would ever think you asking to sell a coin at their event would equal I am making a coin for your event to sell and make money.

As for the logo....that is just ridiculous Big Bear has just as much right not to have someone infringe on there logo as do Disney and Warner Bros. So since others may have infringed on copyrighted logos that means it is ok for you to do it too??? Your logic is flawed. Sheesh....

Before our Honk coins we never went into the forums. We thought the forums were here to answer questions and to share ideas. We quickly found out that it was not just that.

We stopped coming into the forums for chat because of all the bashing, whining and complaining that people are doing. We have gotten a lot of compliments on the quality and designs on our coins. Again, if you dont like our coins please dont buy them.

We are a fairly new company. All our coins were our designs that we thought other cachers would enjoy. The money we get for our coins goes right back into producing new coins, not for profit.

Matt and Nan

That is the exact problem you came in with your Honk coins and starting making money...no getting to know the community, no questions....just selling. I mean even your geoname is commercial. If you would have come into these forums as yourself and entered the community things would have been different. These forums are for chat, questions and friendship, I have a nice time visiting these forums. Can you say that people have been bashing, whining and complaining when you come post as your regular accounts? Probably not. You have to want to be part of the community for the community to accept you.

As for the not for profit statement...oh you are profiting. Don't try to fool us. Even if you put every cent of revenue into additional coins you have coins and possibly coins you traded for, that is profit. You would not be pumping out all these designs if there were no profit. Do not insult our intelligence by making false statements like that...it does not help you with your trust problems.

Edited by ParentsofSAM

Matt and Nan

That is the exact problem you came in with your Honk coins and starting making money...no getting to know the community, no questions....just selling. I mean even your geoname is even commercial. If you would have come into these forums as yourself and entered the community things would have been different. These forums are for chat, questions and friendship, I have a nice time visiting these forums. Can you say that people have been bashing, whining and complaining when you come post as your regular accounts? Probably not. You have to want to be part of the community for the community to accept you.

As for the not for profit statement...oh you are profiting. Don't try to fool us. Even if you put every cent of revenue into additional coins you have coins and possibly coins you traded for, that is profit. You would not be pumping out all these designs if there were no profit. Do not insult our intelligence by making false statements like that...it does not help you with your trust problems.

I think PoS hit the nail on the head. When I read the post from SoCal, my thought was this. I've seen countless inferior coins slammed down our throats from this company. If the "I don't do this for profit" scheme were to even hold water, at some point we would be buying the coins at mint cost, since all the "profits" from the previous sales go back into coins. So, I assume your next coin will be sold to us at $5 each, right? B)

"They had to wait until 250 coins were purchased before the minting was started to start production on that coin, which is understandable. It took 3 months after the event to get the coin. "

Just as a correction.

The event organizers did not have to wait until 250 coins were purchased before minting was started.

USA Geocoins normally takes reservations for a coin before minting to determine how many coins should be made.

We just don't wan't people to think that it took 3 months after the event to get them their coins. The Event organizers and USA Geocoins started the process to late to get the coins designed in time for the event last year. Just like last year this year we also took reservations before minting to determine how many coins need to be minted.

This year we worked with the event organizers earlier so they will have the coins before the event (barring any unforeseen delays) as they are already in the process of minting.

Thank you

USA Geocoins

Edited by Eric K

I want to make it clear. I never said that SoCal stole the iCache design. I said they agreed not to mint it until after the other person, who had theirs in production sold theirs.

You can be as offended as you want to be, but you gave your word that you would hold off until the other group minted theirs :

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...160825&st=0

This isn't my word against yours. It is black and white.

You said you were going to hold off on the coin on April 13, you started pre-sales on May 7th. So not even a month. Did you bother to contact Kimba before you decided to go ahead with it to find out how far along in the process they were? Did you care that they might lose money because of your coin?

The good news is that Kimba and Oak Coins waited a respectable amount of time, and have now come out with a superior coin.

BINGO! I couldn't have said it better myself.

And I know that my post above does sound harsh, and I generally don't like to do that.

SoCal, you really don't know the type of community you are dealing with in the forums. You never came on here and got to know us. We have our little cliques and we have our little battles, but we do stand united when someone comes along and does something that is deemed "unethical".

Here you are on your second trip down that lane. Enough is enough. If you love coins, like the rest of us do, stop making them for a week or two. Sit back and look at some of the beautiful offerings coming out. Compare them to your coins. Talk to the other coin companies. Talk to the community here.

But what you need to do now is stop justifying what you have done, and just apologize. You were wrong. Now, lets get over that hill, and back to enjoying coins.

Thanks Erik for clarifying the details.

We have explained why Matt did the coin. It wasn't for devious or malicious reasons. It wasn't really thought out and we apologize for any hard feelings. He honestly didnt think it would cause this kind of controversy. We really do enjoy making our coins. No matter what people think about us making a "profit" off of them. We borrowed the money to make our first coin and it was well over $2000, which we are paying back. So if everyone wants to think we are profiting then thats your choice.

Happy Caching everyone and no hard feelings from us.

Nan & Matt

I want to make it clear. I never said that SoCal stole the iCache design. I said they agreed not to mint it until after the other person, who had theirs in production sold theirs.

You can be as offended as you want to be, but you gave your word that you would hold off until the other group minted theirs :

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...160825&st=0

This isn't my word against yours. It is black and white.

You said you were going to hold off on the coin on April 13, you started pre-sales on May 7th. So not even a month. Did you bother to contact Kimba before you decided to go ahead with it to find out how far along in the process they were? Did you care that they might lose money because of your coin?

The good news is that Kimba and Oak Coins waited a respectable amount of time, and have now come out with a superior coin.

B)

mustard-owned.jpg