Pre-Sale For Big Bear Cache Bash III Geocoins

SoCalGeocoins

IMAGES REMOVED BY MODERATOR AT REQUEST OF THE OP

Pre-Sales are open for the Big Bear Cache Bash III Geocoins you can go here or you can send me an email for a paypal invoice. This is for 2 coins, 1 Nickel and 1 Black Nickel geocoin. Both are trackable and have a unique icon.

COIN PRICE AND SHIPPING:

WORLDWIDE: $18.00 each

USA + Canada SHIPPING: $2.00 First Coin set; $1.00 Each Additional Coin set.

WORLDWIDE SHIPPING: Please Send An Email For Shipping.

COIN STATS:

ROUND: Size: 1.5” Round

Thickness: 3 mm

Metal & Quantity: 100 Nickel, 100 Black Nickel and 50 Gold LE

Trackable: Yes, www.geocaching.com

Icon: Yes, Bear

Activation Codes: www.coincodes.com

Unique Features: 2-D Depiction of a bear in a campground with a fish jumping into its mouth and the GC Event Code with a Clear coat. The backside is in hard Enamel (smooth as glass) With the Big Bear Iconand the words “ Big Bear Cache Bash III August 18, 2007 and Trackable at Geocaching.com” and the tracking #'s !

ORDER email INFORMATION:

If you are interested in purchasing, please send an email to: Socalgeocoins@aol.com

Subject: Big Bear Cache Bash III Geocoins

(Copy and paste this into the email)

Geo Nick:

Paypal Email:

Contact Email Address:

Metal Desired:

Quantity Desired:

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

On coin tracking it shows this:

Buy this coin now for $ 19

Shipping: $ 2.00 / 2.00 (each add'l item)

Coins are trackable with a unique Icon, If outside US please Email for shipping quote.

On your sitte it shows this:

Buy this coin now for $ 18

Shipping: I DIND'T SEE

WHAT IS CORRECT $19 FOR THE COIN AND SHIPPING IS $2.00? OR $18 OR $1.00 SHIPPING FOR ADDITIONAL COINS?

W :ph34r: W ...that sems like I should get a t-shirt or something with it!

Is the front a picture or will it be done in enamel?

Edited by Atwell Family

Right now pre-sales are for 2 coins, when the coin are here they will be available individually including the Gold LE coins. So if you want singles you will have to wait till I post them on my website. If you want to be added to the mailing list send me you email address and I will add you.

Why can't there be 2 coins for an Event? If you go to a mega event or a coin event there are multiple coins from different vendors, so what is the difference? Some of the coins will be sold here and the others will be at the event. My Daughter came up with the Idea after last years event. There will be 3 different metals and a trackable pin available as well for sale at the event. Also some coins will be put into the raffle and We will be giving the organizers a free sets.

Why can't there be 2 coins for an Event? If you go to a mega event or a coin event there are multiple coins from different vendors, so what is the difference? Some of the coins will be sold here and the others will be at the event. My Daughter came up with the Idea after last years event. There will be 3 different metals and a trackable pin available as well for sale at the event. Also some coins will be put into the raffle and We will be giving the organizers a free sets.

The vendors at the mega event you refer to had asked the organizers permission prior to making the coins.

Why can't there be 2 coins for an Event?

There can be, provided those organizing the event decide it. Sorry but AG is 100% right here, and it might be time you rethink it. You have no right to do an event coin unless you are either the one hosting the event or have been given permission. I can assure you had you done this for the GW5 event you found have found a great deal of resistance.

Plus whats the deal with forcing to buy two coins all the time? What happens when you don't sell a coin out? Are you then going to start selling them as singles to unload them which is unfair to those you forced into two coins? Sorry but not liking the buisness practices I am seeing with this company. maybe a little courtesy and respect for the fellow cachers is in order instead of the hardline sales instead.

How big of an event is this? Is this like a GW5?

Not even close. This is a smaller local event. As of right now there are 38 "Will Attend" logs. Now compare that with GW5 which had 794 "Will Attend" logs and 1013 "Attnded" logs. That does raise another point. how many event coins is enough? (new thread)

If you only want one metal Either Nickel or Black Nickel send me an email and I will send you a paypal invoice for the quantity of coins you want. They are $9.00 with $1.00 shipping in the US for the 1st coin and $1.00 each additional coin. If outside the US shipping is $2.00 for the 1st coin and $1.00 each additional coin.

Many of these events are sponsored quite generously by the companies that are making the coins and that is one big difference. The most import however is that these companies are usually making these coins at the request of the people hosting the events. :ph34r:

As Co-Host of the Big Bear Cache Bash III, let me assure you that this coin is NOT authorized. Mandy'sMom, the other host, has asked SoCalGeocoins to please stop selling this coin.

The coin from USA Geocoins is the ONLY official and authorized coin for our event.

It has just come to our attention that this coin is being sold, however, permission was never granted. SoCalGeocoins asked us for permission to sell another coin at our event, which we didn't have a problem with, but they never said it was going to depict our event. We felt is was just going to be a personal coin.

Quoted from their email to Mandy'sMom: "...would like to have another coin available at your Big Bear Mountain Cache event, which we would have made at our expense. We will give you and Badgerdawg a coin free to keep for yourselves. We would like to get production of them started ASAP so if you could kindly email me back and let me know if it's okay with you we would appreciate it. All were doing is asking you if you mind. Our daughter designed it and is excited to see it in print. Thanks so much..."

We had NO idea that they were going to use our event's name on their coin. Mandy'sMom has asked them to stop. She has designed the official coin for which we take great pride in it's representation. We hope that SoCalGeocoins will understand and redesign their coin.

We do not have a problem if their coin makes any reference to Big Bear Lake, however, the "Big Bear Cache Bash III" name should remain with the event host.

I hope this clears up any misunderstandings.

Thank you for your time and happy trails! jc- Badgerdawg

As Co-Host of the Big Bear Cache Bash III, let me assure you that this coin is NOT authorized. Mandy'sMom, the other host, has asked SoCalGeocoins to please stop selling this coin.

I guess we now know the official stance of the organizers of this event. Now what? Sales obviously should be stopped immediately, but I think the community deserves a straight answer from the makers of this coin as to their intentions.

It has just come to our attention that this coin is being sold, however, permission was never granted. SoCalGeocoins asked us for permission to sell another coin at our event, which we didn't have a problem with, but they never said it was going to depict our event. We felt is was just going to be a personal coin.

Quoted from their email to Mandy'sMom: "...would like to have another coin available at your Big Bear Mountain Cache event, which we would have made at our expense. We will give you and Badgerdawg a coin free to keep for yourselves. We would like to get production of them started ASAP so if you could kindly email me back and let me know if it's okay with you we would appreciate it. All were doing is asking you if you mind. Our daughter designed it and is excited to see it in print. Thanks so much..."

We had NO idea that they were going to use our event's name on their coin. Mandy'sMom has asked them to stop. She has designed the official coin for which we take great pride in it's representation. We hope that SoCalGeocoins will understand and redesign their coin.

I have been watching this thread and usually don't get into this type of discussion. But I think a lesson is to be learned here.

From the email that I have quoted it is clear that permission WAS asked and permission WAS granted to sell a coin at the event. SoCalGeocoins didn't provde much information in the email quoted. The problem is that the event organizers made a wrong assumption in thinking it was a personal coin and didn't ask for more info. When permission was granted for sale of A coin how can they come back now and cry foul when the organizers didn't request info about the type of coin as they should have?

I'm not defending SoCalGeocoins as I think they should have made it plain to the event organizers what their intentions were but in this case permision was asked for and granted for a coin to be sold and that is what they are doing.

I think there is a huge difference between "Can we sell a coin at your event" and "can we make an event coin to sell at your event". Until this incident, I don't think there is a person here who would have thought someone would have done this. Let's not try to make this as the fault of the event organizers for not asking as much, but rather focus on the person who took advantage of the people who were out to do something nice for the commmunity, not for personal greed.

From the email that I have quoted it is clear that permission WAS asked and permission WAS granted to sell a coin at the event. SoCalGeocoins didn't provde much information in the email quoted. The problem is that the event organizers made a wrong assumption in thinking it was a personal coin and didn't ask for more info. When permission was granted for sale of A coin how can they come back now and cry foul when the organizers didn't request info about the type of coin as they should have?

I'm not defending SoCalGeocoins as I think they should have made it plain to the event organizers what their intentions were but in this case permision was asked for and granted for a coin to be sold and that is what they are doing.

You have a point here, however, the fact that their defense was something along the lines of "why can't there be two event coins?" rather than "we received permission from the organizers" suggests that they knew they didn't have permission. Trust me, if I had permission to mint an event coin, or even thought I did, I would be talking about that permission from the beginning.

I think there is a huge difference between "Can we sell a coin at your event" and "can we make an event coin to sell at your event". Until this incident, I don't think there is a person here who would have thought someone would have done this. Let's not try to make this as the fault of the event organizers for not asking as much, but rather focus on the person who took advantage of the people who were out to do something nice for the commmunity, not for personal greed.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I learned a huge lesson and hope others did, too. I didn't ask enough questions, it just never occurred to me (or the other organizer) that the coin would actually say "Big Bear Cache Bash III". I would never make a coin of someone else's event, but that's just me.

Now I know...just ASK!

Thanks for everyone's input, I really appreciate it. jc

It's not the coin event organizers fault for being ignorant to the dealings of coin makers.

Folks we are in these forums and highly active in the GeoCoin buisness. Not everyone else is. Most people have no clue what we are even talking about half the time. Even someone hosting an event and having a coin made would probably have no clue that another person would come to their event, and undercut them. It is not right to lay any blame on the organizers at all. they are the victims in this situation. Do you really thinkk they are changing their minds? No. They are just coming to realize someone is doing something pretty shady to them.

I wanted to make sure I bought the correct coin so I sent a note to the event host, at least the name on the cache page of the event. here is the response I received:

The coin that is issued by So. Cal Geocachers is NOT the official BBCB coin. We have made up our own OFFICIAL EVENT COIN. Our coin is designed by myself, and is made by CoinsandPins. I did not post on So Cal and would appreciate you advising others that that coin is a fraud. I have emailed them myself and told them they do not have permission to represent our event. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. This link for our coin is posted on the event cache page.

I now know what coin to buy.

It's not the coin event organizers fault for being ignorant to the dealings of coin makers.

Folks we are in these forums and highly active in the GeoCoin buisness. Not everyone else is. Most people have no clue what we are even talking about half the time. Even someone hosting an event and having a coin made would probably have no clue that another person would come to their event, and undercut them. It is not right to lay any blame on the organizers at all. they are the victims in this situation. Do you really thinkk they are changing their minds? No. They are just coming to realize someone is doing something pretty shady to them.

WOW! You really hit the nail on the head! I AM totally ignorant about the coin business and rarely do I venture into these forums. I have a few coins that I enjoy, but that's about it.

My co-host has been in contact with SoCalGeocoins, and they are more than willing to change the design, so we're all good.

Lessons learned. ^_^

WOW! You really hit the nail on the head! I AM totally ignorant about the coin business and rarely do I venture into these forums. I have a few coins that I enjoy, but that's about it.

My co-host has been in contact with SoCalGeocoins, and they are more than willing to change the design, so we're all good.

Lessons learned. ^_^

I would be careful of their assurances. I would ask to see the new design before you let it be sold at your event. Earlier this year they had agreed not to do an iCache coin because someone else was working on it, then they came back a month later with that coin. I just don't trust them.

Lessons learned. ^_^

I would be careful of their assurances. I would ask to see the new design before you let it be sold at your event. Earlier this year they had agreed not to do an iCache coin because someone else was working on it, then they came back a month later with that coin. I just don't trust them.

Ditto that. Actually at this point I personally would tell them they can't sell at my event. They have taken advantage of you once, why should they continue to be allowed to profit from it. The lack of morals from this company are becoming more and more apparent.

I also noticed the post they have on the cache page talkign about selling coins and such. Are they here for the caching or the buisness? We aren't allowed to promote buisness ventures through the cache itself, which would consitute a commercial cache, so how doesn't their log fall under the same guidelines?

What a group we have here!

The tactics don't just end with the unethical minting of another person's coin or stealing someone elses coin ideas. This group has routinely come in here and gave half answeres, long winded answers that say nothing, or just avoided it altogether. I would hope the community would let them know we are not accepting of these practices with their money.

I too agree about them being shady enough to mint the coin anyhow and sell it. They should have shut the sales down on their site the moment they were contacted. At this point they are still selling a coin that they have agreed not to make. They are either deceiving the event hosts further, or they are selling a coin to people that isn't the coin they intend to deliver.

Not to keep baching but, other than selling a coin without premission for someone elses event, the artwork is not even their own.

Big Bear Info

SoCal...You get permission to use the resorts logo and artwork?

Yes, I did recognize that they copied the artwork from Big Bear Info. How does one sleep at night?

My co-host hasn't heard back from them. I'm afraid I am quite naive to think that when someone gives their word, it happens! All of this makes me very sad, but I truly appreciate everyones input and suggestions. I can assure you we won't be fooled again!

Stay tuned :tired:

I was about to close this thread before it turns into a bloodbath - BUT I think it should stay open to give the OP a chance to respond to the comments here.

So, let's all leave this one alone and let the OP post in it if they choose to do so. If they don't, you can draw your own conclusions, but continued badgering won't solve anything.

At this point, they can either respond or the thread will fall off the page quietly.

I respectfully disagree somewhat. Falling off the page is exactly what this business wants, but is the last thing that the public needs. The entire community should be aware of a companies practices to be well informed when making a purchase. If not for this thread, where would they get their info? If not for this thread there would be an unauthorized coin being produced and sold without so much as a whisper. Then this would continue and more events would be in danger of being ripped off. I would rather see it pinned than to allow it to fade away into oblivion.

I don't see how badgerdawg is at fault at all here. The reason they never thought this would happen is probably because they never thought that anyone would have the audacity to make another event coin for THEIR event. Why on earth would that even cross their minds?

It's a sad lesson to be learned, but this "community" is just like anything else, don't blindly trust just because they're fellow cachers or coin collectors, there are all kinds in here. Once upon a time this was a community and there was a certain level of respect, now it is a marketplace and anything goes.

To the event organizers, if you haven't already, I would suggest adding a BIG BOLD note at the top of your event page about the real coin versus the fraud. Not everyone frequents these boards.

We just got home from Red Rock Canyon that has absolutely NO RECEPTION of any kind out there. I had informed MandysMom that we were going out of town and everyone here is bashing us.

In short, we will NOT be producing this coin and everyone who has prepaid will be receiving a refund.

As soon as we get unpacked and finish reading all the comments will will have answers for all who wants to know anything.

Lessons learned. :anibad:

Well, that SAYS the design has been scrapped...let's hope this is the case! I'm curious as to why ANYONE would think it's OK to use someone's event to make a coin. This goes right to the "some will make ANYTHING for a profit" debate in another thread. Getting hard to come up with designs?

WOW!

There is a trust issue with your company. You said you were going to wait to mint the iCache coin, and then went right ahead and minted it. It came out a month later.

Now here are two issues:

1. What makes you think that you can undercut the event organizers by creating an event coin, and you apparently were not an event sponsor?

2. Did you have permission to use the art on the back side?

Maybe you are unsure of how things are done. Perhaps you should come in here for more than just posting tons of coins for sale. Get involved in conversations. If you were on these boards for any amount of time, you would know that we want quality coins and great designs, something that many feel the coins you are producing is lacking.

Edited by MustangJoni

From reading this thread it just seems that this is yet another example of SoCal rushing out an inferior copy to beat an original design just to make a buck and say they were the first. Between that and rather dull designs for other coins it makes me wonder.

Come on, guys...you are a coin maker! Show us some truly original and great designs!