Google ads

WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Speaking of "right on topic", I am going to ask that people responding stay right on topic. This isn't a topic to debate whether you like them or not. There is a topic for that. This is a topic regarding the content of the ads.

Having said that, I have seen them narrowing in over time. I've clicked through a few since they have related. Good observation.

I've noticed that the Google ads at the top of the forum topics match very well with the discussion.

Yep, I believe they are cluing in on certain words to match the ads.

Every once in a while I see something odd, like clicking on a fart button. :angry:

Purple monkey dishwasher

nope, nothing yet.

Maybe if we repeat it a few times and mix it up - Dishwasher for Purple Monkeys

Anyway - noticed a few VERY relevant ads in odd topcs the other day - my wife and I clicked around just to see what ads came up.

Purple monkey dishwasher - When I saw this posted (who was that briansnat?) my daughter came home with new jammies with purple monkeys on them.

I said Hey, Purple monkey dishwasher!

She told me she was NOT going to do the dishes.

True Story. :ph34r:

My 5 year old son has a stuffed purple monkey. And he likes to do the dishes. But he never uses the dishwasher. Especially with the monkey. :ph34r:

Does the algorithim for displaying them get better with time - or is it just semi random based on content? Anybody know?

Whether premium or not the links in these forums are at the top. You know the nice thing about the generator is that it will give you everything including the kitchen sink. Just like the one at my house with a purple plate and monkey spoon right next to the dishwasher.

purple monkey dishwasher would be on topic as it relates to the geocaching

obviously dead monkeys whether purple or washed, or unwashed (in the dishwasher?) have related to geocaching since Joefrog's monkey (not purple) forum post . No dishwasher there, he wasn't prescient enough I guess.

You suppose we're closing in? now the google ad is offering "great swag" - and what swag could be greater than a purple monkey!

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Hypothesis: You can manipulate the google ads by place repeated nonsense text in a forum thread

Experiment: Random Forum members place variations of same text in a thread ("Purple Monkey Dishwasher")

Observation: Look for changes in Google ads

Result: The experiment did not support the Hypothesis.

Conclusion: Not all that easy to manipulate things.

But we should keep trying...... :ph34r:

I've noticed that the Google ads at the top of the forum topics match very well with the discussion.

In the immigration thread I noted the adds were about becoming a citizen. Sometimes they match well, sometimes I wonder what the heck the connection is.

I've noticed that when some people post the adds switch to Hemorrhoid medication. What's up with that?

Right on topic for sure.

I almost spit coffee all over my keyboard this morning when I burst out laughing at the Google ad at the top of Ranting Roddy's 8 page thread, "To trespass or not to....that is the question!, what's YOUR opinion??"

The ad was for criminal attorneys specializing in "Misdemeanor Trespass".

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

It's easier to "game" Google Search (it's even has a name: Googlebombing) than it is Google AdSense. This page may be the number one source of information on all the internet about Purple Monkey Dishwashers. If a few thousand sites link to this page, it likely to rank high in search. But if nobody is buying ads hustling purple monkey dishwashers, you'll get ads about something else or possibly a public service announcement.

Ads are placed depending on who bids most for the keywords on that page. The winner(s) of that auction gets the ad placed. So Google apparently thinks there's more money to be made for the advertiser, Groundspeak, and itself displaying an ad on this page for "geocaching" than the oh-so-lucrative purple monkey dishwashing business. So if you happen to be in the purple monkey dishwashing business this tells you that either people are paying lots for keywords like "geocaching" or they're not paying a lot for purple monkey dishwashing.

See "where do ads come from" .

There is no magic in any of this. Well, there is in the exact formulas used, but the basic principles of AdSense are very well documented.

Once upon a time, there lived a troop of monkeys on an island. This particular group of monkeys was cut off from other types of monkeys. The island also had thousands of purple lilac bushes. Over time the normally brown colored monkeys adapted by changing their hair color to purple, thus they were able to be camoflauged by the purple lilac bushes. So as one can imagine it became quite difficult to locate the purple monkeys amongst all the purple lilac bushes. One day a tiny ship called the "Minnow" came ashore on this uncharted desert island. The Captain, Gilligan, Mary Ann, Ginger, Professor, and Mr. and Mrs. Thurston Howell III were happy for dry land after storm bashed the ship during what was supposed to be a three hour tour. As time went by the Professor kept inventing new items that would be useful to the other passengers who were now living on the island. The Professor had also noticed that they were not alone on the island --- one day when he was collecting items for an invention he was working on he came across a troop of purple monkeys amongst the purple lilac bushes. He was so intrigued that daily he went back to observe the purple monkeys. One day, Mary Ann complained about having to wash all the dishes and getting no one to help. The Professor was more than happy to invent a dishwasher. The Professor also wanted to somehow involve the purple monkeys in the dishwasher. After much thought, he came up with the best invention ever -- the Purple Monkey Dishwasher. Mary Ann was thrilled will the Purple Monkey Dishwasher. The Purple Monkeys were thrilled to be a part of the dishwasher. Everyone loved the Purple Monkey Dishwasher.

:D

One last attempt --

For sale: one purple monkey dishwasher--- price $just get me off this island away from these loonies!

Google AdSense

1600 Amphitheatre Parkway

Mountain View, CA 94043

To whom it may concern:

I would like to purchase an ad for Purple Monkey Dishwashers.

Returned To Sender

AdSense is the program that figures out what ads to put on a page for a web publisher, like Groundspeak.

AdWords is the program advertisers use to buy ads.

Markwell, the ads for things like online degrees is a sign that the page wanders around so much that it doesn't have a clear subject. SOMEONE is willing to spend a small amount to have an ad impression on the page, you have to concluded this page is pretty much about nothing. Unfocused "spray" ads are about all you can deliver (that someone is willing to pay for) - at least until Stunod's purple monkey dishwashing AdWords campaign gets cleared...

Note that the adwords page has tools you can use to study without actually signing up for an account or spending "real" money. The "get keyword ideas" link tells us, for example, that "geocaching supplies" is a less expensive term than "geocache supplies". It also tells us that you'll pay a LOT more to be in the top three ads for "preowned bmw" than you will for "dirty golf ball".

Edited by robertlipe