Maybee I'm Immune

EHDT

I have never been formaly introduced to the infamous poison ivy. I have read ip on it in encyclopedias and internet sites, but have still never been able to recognize it in the wild.

I have never come out from bushwacking covered in a rash, even when I was told, you just walked through poison ivy.

I recently spent an hour looking in an area that was aledgedly covered with the stuff, yet nothing.

Is it possible that I am not sensitive to poison ivy? Is it safe to rub a leaf on my arm, just to see if it works?

Thanks

Susceptibility to poison ivy/oak/sumac varies. Some people are immune, others get horrible, ER-inducing rashes, and everything in between. However, immunity wll break down with repeated exposure - in which case, you'll want to invest in Tecnu. :angry:

I myself was immune to poison ivy/oak for many years. In fact, I was once stoopid enough to taunt my less-fortunate friends by rubbing a leaf on my wrist, as you suggest. Nothing happened.

But then I discovered orienteering, which in California means running through thickets of poison oak on a regular basis. It only took a year or so for my immunity to break down and for me to get a horrible PO rash.

However, my resistance is still relatively high, and it requires serious exposure (and no Tecnu) for me to get a rash. Casual brushes, or serious exposure followed by Tecnu, don't create any problems for me.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :D

Various and repeated exposures for me... I know what it looks like and can identify it w/o having had read the cache page warning!

While I am not immune, I only have a couple of spots that are affected... a couple of toes on my right foot and just above my ankle on the right leg. Other than that I'm good to go.

I wouldn't suggest tempting fate with that rubbing thing, though...

michelle

I had immunity to it as a kid. I even fell face first into a large clump of it at camp, while retrieving a baseball, with no reaction whatsoever.

Since geocaching though, I have been getting a reaction. Usually I get it around my ankles. For some reason it happens as clusters of two dots. Like this---> :

I think what is happening is that I step on the plant, and then as the day progresses, my sandals brush against my ankles, creating small breaks in the skin for the oils to get into. The rash doesn't show up until about a day or so later.

I end up washing my sandals in Technu from time to time, but am considering buying a product from Bujii (sp?), that can be used a barrier to the oils getting on your skin in the first place. Has anyone out there used this?

I'm allergic but my husband isn't. I send him in for those caches hidden in PI. :ph34r:

Chris

Careful though, because if he gets the oil on his clothing, skin, shoes, etc.... you can still get it.

A few winters ago my wife kept breaking out with PI rashes even though she hadn't been near the

stuff in a while. We figured there must be some clothing or equipment that had the oils on it that

she kept touching, but we were never able to narrow it down.

I personally was immune until I was in my mid to late 20's. Then I was very sensitive for quite a while.

Now I'm not immune, but if I break out it's a a few quarter and dime sized patches here and there. Not like the cases I had in my late 20's and through my 30's where entire limbs would break out. Maybe I'm just better at identifying it and avoiding it now and more diligent about washing thoroughly after coming in contact.

Well I never had it until I was around 55 and as a kid I was always outdoors in the "woods" and never got it when other kids I was playing with did. The first time I got it I was getting fishing worms out of fallen leaves that had PI all in it and managed to get a couple of spots on my hand. Ever since that time I get it not bad but a few little spots on my arms that looks like a scratch about 1/2"-1" long and they don't show up for a few days. Although I got a pretty bad case on my upper legs that I just got over. I figured I had the oil on my arm which didn't break out and when I set down on the can rested my arm on my leg. So I guess I sort of get it but not bad.

Yes the oil can stay around for years. If you have a shovel that you use to clean it out of somewhere with you can get PI off of the shovel next year unless it has been cleaned. There is a kit that has calagel in it that is an anti-itch gel that also has a cleaner that you use to get the oil off of you. I have the calagel here in the office and the cleaner in my pack.

I just got back from buying some Buji Block. They didn't have the AFTER exposure stuff.

I was immune up until about a month ago. Everyone kept telling me that it hit them when they were 40. I was 2 weeks away from 40 when I got my first batch.

I got re-exposed last Saturday and have two patches on the backs of my hands and some spots up my arms. The doctor doesn't want to give me another steroid shot and pills due to the side effects. Good grief! I was eating everything in sight!!!

I guess I just have to start paying attention from here on out. I sure hope the Buji stuff works next time, though.

It's chiggers that can send me into a special hell -- for weeks.

One thing to try is taking 500mg garlic everyday. I take one pill at night before I go to bed. I still get chiggers a few but they only last for a day or two at most. I use to get them and they would bother me for weeks also as a kid I always had hundreds of them in me, my waist and ankles were one big welt. :o A couple of weeks ago I was walking through chest high grass and figured I would be ate up but only ended up with one or two and they were gone by Tuesday. Garlic pills are cheep and when you take them at bedtime they don't repeat on you at least you don't notice it :ph34r:

I was about forty before poison oak started bothering me. Like many others have stated I used to wade through it and it never bothered me.

Now if I rub up against it I'll get a rash ,not bad but still bothersome so I watch where I'm at when out in the boonies.

I'm for the over-40. I've never had poison ivy - until NOW. Went caching in Oklahoma and Kansas and all I brought back was this lousy rash!

It's not itching too badly right now, but it is uncomfortable.

I had immunity to it as a kid. I even fell face first into a large clump of it at camp, while retrieving a baseball, with no reaction whatsoever.

Since geocaching though, I have been getting a reaction. Usually I get it around my ankles. For some reason it happens as clusters of two dots. Like this---> :

I think what is happening is that I step on the plant, and then as the day progresses, my sandals brush against my ankles, creating small breaks in the skin for the oils to get into. The rash doesn't show up until about a day or so later.

I end up washing my sandals in Technu from time to time, but am considering buying a product from Bujii (sp?), that can be used a barrier to the oils getting on your skin in the first place. Has anyone out there used this?

I just got back from buying some Buji Block. They didn't have the AFTER exposure stuff.

I was immune up until about a month ago. Everyone kept telling me that it hit them when they were 40. I was 2 weeks away from 40 when I got my first batch.

I got re-exposed last Saturday and have two patches on the backs of my hands and some spots up my arms. The doctor doesn't want to give me another steroid shot and pills due to the side effects. Good grief! I was eating everything in sight!!!

I guess I just have to start paying attention from here on out. I sure hope the Buji stuff works next time, though.

I'm sitting at home with a nice case of PI!! When I noticed a rash about a day or so after caching I said Q$%$%^ luckily Geogranny had given me some Buji go go wash packs which worked great (the wash had grit in it so washing the oil off was a bit of nirvana :o ) but sadly I had missed a spot or two !@#$#$@#% oh well It's almost gone now and I have more Buji on order :ph34r:

I thought it took 2-3 days to manifest itself. :o

That's about right, in most cases. If I'm exposed on a Saturday, and don't take preventative measures, I'll get the rash on Tue/Wed. And a typical outbreak takes 1-2 weeks to completely clear up.

As for lotions to use before/during/after exposure - I've never tried Buji Block (never heard of it before), but Ivy Block (by the makers of Tecnu) is a preventative lotion that many of my sensitive friends swear by. Tecnu is excellent for breaking down the oils if you have been exposed (you can use it up to 6 hours after exposure and it will work), and there's also CalaGel, the anti-itch gel for if the first two don't work. All three (Ivy Block, Tecnu, CalaGel) are part of the Oak-n-Ivy brand, made by Tec Laboratories. No, I don't work for the makers, but this series has saved me much grief over the past few years, so I highly recommend them. :ph34r:

I have never been formaly introduced to the infamous poison ivy. I have read ip on it in encyclopedias and internet sites, but have still never been able to recognize it in the wild.

I have never come out from bushwacking covered in a rash, even when I was told, you just walked through poison ivy.

I recently spent an hour looking in an area that was aledgedly covered with the stuff, yet nothing.

Is it possible that I am not sensitive to poison ivy? Is it safe to rub a leaf on my arm, just to see if it works?

Thanks

The first time you come in contact with PI (or oak/sumac, the chemical is the same) you won't break out. But your body has then become sensitized to it, and your next contact may trigger an outbreak.

If you're lucky enough to get past your 30s without contacting PI, you've got about a 50/50 chance that you'll never become sensitized, regardless of how much you come in contact with it. I'm in my 40s, and never had a PI outbreak in my youth. Since starting geocaching 6 years ago, I've come in contact with it countless times, with no signs of a rash. After this long, I doubt I'll ever get a PI reaction.

You do not have "immunity" to poison ivy. You become sensitized to it as in classic allergic reaction, by exposure.

The reaction of your body to the allergen is what causes the rash.

Rubbing PI leaves on your arm, especially vigorous rubbing is much more likely to sensitize you than mere brushing as you walk past some or reach into some. Gentle brushing will cause much less exposure than deliberate rubbing. Your skin is designed to keep the bad stuff on the outside dead layer and not let it penetrate in. Anything that does get in will be recognized as foreign and your body will react and rid you of it. Period! That reaction may or may not begin the sensitization process, but after the first time, your body will retain a "memory" of the foreign protein(s) in the antigens it uses to lock onto it. The memory persistence is variable.

Most things that are not "you" can be viewed as capable of causing a reaction. Some, like PI are potent allergens and many people suffer terribly from very slight exposure. You have to be a little unbalanced to deliberately expose your self intentionally. You cannot predict the reaction until you are sensitized, and then you cannot predict the severity until you've been through more than a few reactions.

The first time you come in contact with PI (or oak/sumac, the chemical is the same) you won't break out. But your body has then become sensitized to it, and your next contact may trigger an outbreak.

If you're lucky enough to get past your 30s without contacting PI, you've got about a 50/50 chance that you'll never become sensitized, regardless of how much you come in contact with it. I'm in my 40s, and never had a PI outbreak in my youth. Since starting geocaching 6 years ago, I've come in contact with it countless times, with no signs of a rash. After this long, I doubt I'll ever get a PI reaction.

Not aimed at you in particular, but I keep seeing statements without supporting scientific evidence. 'Sensitized'? Urban myths?

Generally, my PI is a small itchy area that goes away after a few days. Been that way for more than fifty years. Last year, after my first case of Lyme, I developed what I thought was Poson Ivy, only to have it turn into 'Allergic dermatitis'. Took prednisone to cure that. Don't ever prescribe prednisone for me! It makes me homocidal!

I am very allergic to PO. When I was a kid I felt like I swear that if I walked by it I would get it. Now, I have to brush against it, but I get it everytime I do. I also get it everytime I touch something that has the PO oils on it. I got PO 3.5 weeks ago. I sat on a boulder while hiking/caching and unknowingly must have brushed against a plant with my hand. I wiped the sweat out of my eyes while I was hiking a few times that day. Anyhow, the next morning I woke up and my left eye was almost swollen shut. I had to go to work looking like a total dweeb. A couple days later I had patches show up on my forehead. I used Ivy Dry and that totally cleared up the rash after only four days. As far as time for the rash to appear, I think it depends what part of your body is exposed. It seems to show up in sensitive areas much faster... :ph34r: I remember wanting to go dancing every night with a bad case of PO I got last year. :o

it ain't smart to deliberately go after it just out of curiosity. "immunity" is usually a limited-time offer.

one of our caching friends had a reaction so severe that it eventually resulted in her having to have a knee surgery. (yes, it can happen. the swelling was so extreme that it blew her knee apart from inside.)

we travel with PI soap and use it when we return to the car if need be. it cuts down a lot on the rashes.

it ain't smart to deliberately go after it just out of curiosity. "immunity" is usually a limited-time offer.

one of our caching friends had a reaction so severe that it eventually resulted in her having to have a knee surgery. (yes, it can happen. the swelling was so extreme that it blew her knee apart from inside.)

we travel with PI soap and use it when we return to the car if need be. it cuts down a lot on the rashes.

OMG! :D

About five months ago, I brought a neighbor along caching and we hiked through an area that had a ton of PO. One of the guys with us had a lab which ran through the PO. We all petted the dog, but the dog really liked my neighbor. Anyhow, three of the six of us got PO including me. My buddy got it so bad that he missed work for four days and had to get steriods to treat it. He made a huge mistake and put lotion on the rash to ease the itching, but all that did was allow the PO to last even longer. I think it took him 3 weeks to get rid of the rash which was all over his body. Anyhow, he hasn't cached with me since.

Edited by TrailGators

It's chiggers that can send me into a special hell -- for weeks.

One thing to try is taking 500mg garlic everyday. I take one pill at night before I go to bed. I still get chiggers a few but they only last for a day or two at most. I use to get them and they would bother me for weeks also as a kid I always had hundreds of them in me, my waist and ankles were one big welt. :huh: A couple of weeks ago I was walking through chest high grass and figured I would be ate up but only ended up with one or two and they were gone by Tuesday. Garlic pills are cheep and when you take them at bedtime they don't repeat on you at least you don't notice it :D

Thanks for the info! I'll have to try this -- I'm sitting here right now with about fifteen bites that developed over a couple of days. Every time I thought one of them had finally burnt itself out, it would fire up again. Benadryl gel has knocked it down a bit, but every few hours it wears off.....

I am one of the people who seems to be immune to it - i am pretty sure I've been in it quite a bit... but never get a rash. I did try that rubbing some on me to see if I had a reaction. No problems there either... ya, it was probably stupid, but it worked out fine...

Don't think becuase you have never had it in the 40's you will never get it. :D I was a Scout Master for 18 years and would tromp around the woods with the boys and I never got it till I was 55 and was getting fishing worms in leaves that were loaded with PI and you guessed it I got it. :huh: Just a few bumps on my hand and every since then I can get it not every time but sometimes. It has not been too bad yet the worst was my upper leg a couple of weeks ago when I sat on the can and got it off my arms when I leaned over even though the arms never broke out.

I played in the woods, and was exposed to it a ton when I was younger, then didn’t see it much for a few years. In my early teens, it didn’t affect me. After 30, if I was exposed, Id get the: symptoms, slight itch after a few days, but only for an hour or so.

FOr me, the "rash" is only as bad as you make it. If you are an Itcher, that can/will make your life miserable. I learned from skeeter bites, before I was 8 that scratching doesn’t help :D

Like I’ve heard said of pain: Pain is relative.

Well, for me, PI is relative. I could walk thru an acre of it alone, go home shower and be fine.

If I am with someone who runs around eagle eyes on the ground, pointing out every PI leaf I touch

and going on and on about how bad it is, I should stay away, shower, etc- then I follow the same routine, but the seed is planted in my head- and I end up thinking about it, and getting the :'s, slight itches.

When that happens, how long it lasts usually related to how badly I was brainwashed by whoever was with me :)(And how much I scratch it) I do get some minor symptoms, but seem to be able to control it, somewhat.

Honestly, since It never affected me, I have never really learned to identify it -(more so acknowledge seeing it when I see it) so am oblivious when I come in contact or from where.

If it isn’t pointed out, I am naware I have been exposed-(In my minds eye anyway)

So no reaction.

As I get older I also learned to dress the role for going adventuring in the woods (as I did when I was a kid)

Long pants, socks and shoes/mid to high boots/long sleeves if possible, and of course a baseball hat.

Keep your hands up as you walk thru anything. Less than that is "risking" exposure.

Brainwashed . . . that’s the ticket. Same as pain. Pain is relative. Exposure is also relative for me.

Heat rash is a whole 'nother story (and no not from wearing to many cloths in the woods in 100 degree heat) :huh:

Edited by Pto

Not aimed at you in particular, but I keep seeing statements without supporting scientific evidence. 'Sensitized'? Urban myths?

Is the American Academy of Dermatology a good enough source?

Sensitivity develops after the first direct skin contact with urushiol oil. An allergic reaction seldom occurs on the first exposure. A second encounter can produce a reaction which may be severe. About 85 percent of all people will develop an allergic reaction when adequately exposed to poison ivy. This sensitivity varies from person to person. People who reach adulthood without becoming sensitive have only a 50 percent chance of developing an allergy to poison ivy. However, only about 15 percent of people seem to be resistant.

Sensitivity to poison ivy tends to decline with age. Children who have reacted to poison ivy will probably find that their sensitivity decreases by young adulthood without repeated exposure. People who were once allergic to poison ivy may even lose their sensitivity later in life.

This basically says that there's 15% of the population who do not and will never have a reaction to urushiol. Of the remaining, if you reach adulthood without becoming sensitized to it, you've got a 50% chance of never becoming sensitized to it.

I've brushed against Poison Oak a few times without getting a reaction. I'm not going to test fate, and purposely rub the stuff on me. PO is one of those things I avoid like the plague.

Serious question about prevention. What do you do before hand if you are allergic, and can't avoid it (barrier creams, etc)? I've wanted to find a few legendary caches in Santa Barbara California, and all of these caches talk about the dense forest of Poison Oak a cacher must pass through to find the cache. I've given thought to a "radiation type suit," but I would probably settle for a heavy painters outfit, that covers you from head to toe.

Anyone have any ideas?

I've brushed against Poison Oak a few times without getting a reaction. I'm not going to test fate, and purposely rub the stuff on me. PO is one of those things I avoid like the plague.

Serious question about prevention. What do you do before hand if you are allergic, and can't avoid it (barrier creams, etc)? I've wanted to find a few legendary caches in Santa Barbara California, and all of these caches talk about the dense forest of Poison Oak a cacher must pass through to find the cache. I've given thought to a "radiation type suit," but I would probably settle for a heavy painters outfit, that covers you from head to toe.

Anyone have any ideas?

You could wear a beekeepers type of suit and then change clothes as soon as you are done. Put the suit/gloves in a plastic garbage bag to stop it from touching anything. Then you could rub down anything that make have touched your suit with Tecnu.

Like many others here have said I too am mostly immune. Grew up playing in the woods, never had it untill I was about 27. That summer I worked on a farm and weed whacked right through a patch of the stuff. I then had a horrible case of it. Seems after that I am sensitive but not that sensitive. Got one other bad case once when geocaching.

Funny thing is while I am not sensitive to PI most pine trees will make me itch like mad within a matter of minutes. This is unfortunate since, while there might not be many caches intensionaly hid in PI, there are more than a few in pine trees. I KNOW my arms are going to be red and itchy if I look for the cache, somehow I just can't help myself!