"Geocaching The Appalachian" Geocoin/Geopin Series

triffid

Any updates on the last (Complete Trail)"Geocaching The Appalachian" Geocoin/Geopin Series??... Thanks... Triffid

Sorry to report that I have totally dropped the ball on the last coin/pin, "at this time".

Massive amounts of overtime at my day job at the sign shop recently, a much needed vacation, and various other issues of life's little events have kept me from being able to get the final coin designed and sent to Oakcoins.

My original idea for the "whole trail coin" didn't look as good as I had originally thought it would. :angry:

Actually it looked like a blob of metal with a red crooked stripe across it. :angry: VERY UGLY!!!

I've talked it over with the guys at Oakcoins and I have decided to revamp the design of the final coin a bit to make something that looks better. The original shape will still be used to keep the look & feel of the coin balanced with the rest of the series.

It IS coming, but it may be August before they are produced. :D

Thanks to everyone that has given thier continued support to this series!! :D

If you want to get some of the remaining coins & pins of the past few designs, Geoswag.com still have some of both availabe on thier site!! :laughing:

D-man :)

First of all, I want to state that the delay with the final coin has NOTHING what-so-ever to do with the guys at Oakcoins.com/Geoswag.com. They have been more than AWESOME and very supportive during this whole series. Thanks guys!! :)

The delay falls entirely on my shoulders. Sorry! :D

I can only apologize and ask forgiveness for leaving everyone hanging on this one for so long.

I am my own worst critic. :laughing: I so wanted to make the entire trail work for this last coin. But, try as I might, I just couldn't get the entire trail to look good for the final coin, no matter what I tried. ;)

There is just only so much you can do with a 42mmx42mm work space. And the entire trail wasn't in the cards. Sorry! :D

On that note... The design for the final coin HAS BEEN SENT to the mint this past weekend.

(I know, I know... FINALLY!!, huh? :D )

I'm waiting for the preliminary mint revisions before posting the art.

Just to make sure that what I designed is going to work OK.

As soon as the design has been finalized with the mint and approved for production I will post a pic of it.

For the final coin I had to change to a round coin, but it still has elements from the rest of the coins. So, it will still look like it belongs with the rest when displayed together.

Also, you'll be glad to know that the guys at Oakcoins.com/Geoswag.com have stepped up and will be rewarding everyone that buys the final coin with a new Icon specifically for the final coin and not the same old tired Icon from the others in the series.

Who doesn't like new Icons, right!?! :D

Again, I want to apologize to everyone that has so graciously and patiently waited for me to get this last coin to you.

And also, I'd like to thank everyone for their support of this very large series. :)

It's been a long journey to get them all made.

D-man :D

PS: I'm leaving to go out of town on Thursday and will not have net access for an entire week (GASP!! :) ). So, if I don't hear anything back from the mint before I leave, it will be another week before I can give another update. So, don't think I posted and run away "again"!! :D

Edited by gridlox

First of all, I want to state that the delay with the final coin has NOTHING what-so-ever to do with the guys at Oakcoins.com/Geoswag.com. They have been more than AWESOME and very supportive during this whole series. Thanks guys!! :)

The delay falls entirely on my shoulders. Sorry! :D

I can only apologize and ask forgiveness for leaving everyone hanging on this one for so long.

I am my own worst critic. :laughing: I so wanted to make the entire trail work for this last coin. But, try as I might, I just couldn't get the entire trail to look good for the final coin, no matter what I tried. ;)

There is just only so much you can do with a 42mmx42mm work space. And the entire trail wasn't in the cards. Sorry! :D

On that note... The design for the final coin HAS BEEN SENT to the mint this past weekend.

(I know, I know... FINALLY!!, huh? :D )

I'm waiting for the preliminary mint revisions before posting the art.

Just to make sure that what I designed is going to work OK.

As soon as the design has been finalized with the mint and approved for production I will post a pic of it.

For the final coin I had to change to a round coin, but it still has elements from the rest of the coins. So, it will still look like it belongs with the rest when displayed together.

Also, you'll be glad to know that the guys at Oakcoins.com/Geoswag.com have stepped up and will be rewarding everyone that buys the final coin with a new Icon specifically for the final coin and not the same old tired Icon from the others in the series.

Who doesn't like new Icons, right!?! :D

Again, I want to apologize to everyone that has so graciously and patiently waited for me to get this last coin to you.

And also, I'd like to thank everyone for their support of this very large series. :)

It's been a long journey to get them all made.

PS: I'm leaving to go out of town on Thursday and will not have net access for an entire week (GASP!! :) ). So, if I don't hear anything back from the mint before I leave, it will be another week before I can give another update. So, don't think I posted and run away "again"!! :D

Thanks for the update!!..... Triffid

Any updates???........ Triffid

Been a crazy past month or so with the holidays and a change in my job at the first of the year. (good change!) So, I haven't even had time to keep tabs on this one. In fact, the new responsibilities at work has pretty much took me out of the coin design biz for a bit. :unsure:

I'll fire off an email right now to see if I can get some info on these from the guys at Oakcoins. :)

Edited by gridlox

OK, finally heard back from them today.

The mint did their thing to the art work and sent it back for final approval before going into production.

Unfortunately there is a small error in what I submitted and what they sent back for approval.

I've asked to see if they can correct it.

There is a small version of the AT Hiker emblem on the back of the coin that may be too small to recreate on a 42mm coin. If that's the case then I will need to make some adjustments to the art.

Here's a preview of the final coin

(Not withstanding some minor last minute changes, if the afore mentioned emblem can't be reproduced)

AppalachianTrail-Final_forum.jpg

D-man :huh:

Edited by gridlox

OK, finally heard back from them today.

The mint did their thing to the art work and sent it back for final approval before going into production.

Unfortunately there is a small error in what I submitted and what they sent back for approval.

I've asked to see if they can correct it.

There is a small version of the AT Hiker emblem on the back of the coin that may be too small to recreate on a 42mm coin. If that's the case then I will need to make some adjustments to the art.

Here's a preview of the final coin

(Not withstanding some minor last minute changes, if the afore mentioned emblem can't be reproduced)

AppalachianTrail-Final_forum.jpg

D-man :unsure:

It looks great, gridlox!

But what happened to Maine??? :unsure: I never saw it.

And I have stood at both places, about 5 months apart.

<_<

Oh this final coin is nice!

Thanks! :grin:

After having to scrap the idea of the whole trail on one coin because it looked so bad, we decided to do the final coin something a bit different.

That way it would even appeal to folks that weren't that interested in collecting the whole series. :anibad:

A big

THANK YOU

to everyone that stuck with us through the whole series!! :(

D-man :)

here is the information that I have -

the original coins in this series were released in antique bronze and antique silver

the bronze ones had soft enamel, the silver ones had hard enamel

they were released over time, usually one state at a time

the bronze ones were sold individually

the silver ones were only sold as part of a two-coin set (one each of bronze and silver)

this was true for all 13 state coins and the "final" coin (the 14th coin)

the entire set has been/is being re-minted in antique copper

with one exception (see below) the same dies were used

these copper coins have soft enamel

they have been released in "waves"

4 were released, then 4 more, then 3 more

we are now at a point where there are 3 remaining, and the copper ones will be complete

that makes a total of 42 coins

14 each in three finishes

(note that there may be another development in the works

the current copper New Hampshire coin has an error, and there is no word yet how that will be resolved)

I am not aware of any other coins in this series

if you have information about another finish, I would be very interested to hear it

after a little more looking . . .

there was a coin made that was called "Appalachian Fair Quilt Geocoin"

it appears that it was offered in an "XLE Antique Gold" version

perhaps that is the coin that you are thinking of ?

if so, all of the evidence that I can see indicates that it sold out long ago

after a little more looking . . .

there was a coin made that was called "Appalachian Fair Quilt Geocoin"

it appears that it was offered in an "XLE Antique Gold" version

perhaps that is the coin that you are thinking of ?

if so, all of the evidence that I can see indicates that it sold out long ago

The "Appalachian Fair Quilt Geocoin" was not a part of the "Geocaching the Appalachian" series. :D