what geocache is the .....

The first cache was hidden on May 3, 2000 by Dave Ulmer at a nondescript roadside pulloff in the forests of Clackamas County, Oregon, southeast of Portland. There is not much to see on the Geocaching.com cache page for the first cache. Read the history page here. If you want to visit the site, The Original Stash Tribute Plaque is the place to go. And very close nearby is the Un-original Stash.

The first cache was hidden on May 3, 2000 by Dave Ulmer at a nondescript roadside pulloff in the forests of Clackamas County, Oregon, southeast of Portland. There is not much to see on the Geocaching.com cache page for the first cache. Read the history page here. If you want to visit the site, The Original Stash Tribute Plaque is the place to go. And very close nearby is the Un-original Stash.

Check out the video of the first cache being hidden

I found the history interesting. Apparently there was a fallout with the original cache hider and the owner of this web site and the owner deleted the first hiders account. (If i remember correctly.)

I am not sure if it is true or not. It is an interesting read though. I found some older threads that were interesting between the two.

Here is the article that got me wondering.

If that is the first cache Keystone mentioned then why is it all screwed up? The date is goofy and the location is wrong i am assuming.

I wonder what the real history is...

I found the history interesting. Apparently there was a fallout with the original cache hider and the owner of this web site and the owner deleted the first hiders account. (If i remember correctly.)

I am not sure if it is true or not. It is an interesting read though. I found some older threads that were interesting between the two.

If that is the first cache Keystone mentioned then why is it all screwed up? The date is goofy and the location is wrong i am assuming.

I read the article differently. It sounded like Ulmer never really saw the business opportunity and Irish did. Just like in football, if someone fumbles the ball you pick it up and run with it. That's what they did and they scored! :D

My guess would be GC1, but of course the coding had changed from Hex to base 31 a long time ago.

A logical, but incorrect, guess. When Geocaching.com launched in September 2000, the existing geocaches were not assigned their GC numbers in chronological order. The cache I linked to earlier, GCF, is actually the first "GPS stash."

The cache owner edited out the description and moved the coordinates, thereby obliterating some geocaching history. This happened many more times with other hiders after that early example. "Zeroing out the coordinates" is no longer possible. It's one of the reasons why large moves require the assistance of a cache reviewer.

Well, I won't say real history, how about disagreements among early pioneers of geocaching? :D

Either way, here is a "history of geocaching" (the first one posted to the web, thus always the first that will show up on a google search) from the perspective of someone critical of gc.com: The history of geocaching by Scout

Well, I won't say real history, how about disagreements among early pioneers of geocaching? :D

Either way, here is a "history of geocaching" (the first one posted to the web, thus always the first that will show up on a google search) from the perspective of someone critical of gc.com: The history of geocaching by Scout

Thank you. I really enjoyed reading the article. If it is all true then it seems well written to me.

I understand and approve of Irish making money on this. I wouldn't expect him to do it for free. I don't know why anyone would complain. Those complainers have obviously never had a web site of their own that they had to deal with!

I do not understand the censorship though. I already feel like you cant speak openly here.

As far as what Keystone said- i understand now about the cache details. I am one of those people that think reviewers are a good things. I wish there was a way to return that info and preserve the history.

I do not understand the censorship though. I already feel like you cant speak openly here.

:D

Someone just posted a link bashing geocaching.com, Jeremy etc. and it isn't deleted, the thread isn't closed, yet you can't speak freely? The only thing I know you can't do is slam other people, and your posts need to be family friendly. Hardly censorship.

Someone just posted a link bashing geocaching.com, Jeremy etc. and it isn't deleted, the thread isn't closed, yet you can't speak freely? The only thing I know you can't do is slam other people, and your posts need to be family friendly. Hardly censorship.

Oh heck, I've posted that before. As a matter of fact, the history page on this website is only a couple of months old, so I definately have posted that one before, and I'm sure with the disclaimer about it being critical.

And to clarify, the guy who wrote it does have his own geocaching website (more accurately a gps game website), and it is free. :huh:

Oh heck, I've posted that before. As a matter of fact, the history page on this website is only a couple of months old, so I definately have posted that one before, and I'm sure with the disclaimer about it being critical.

And to clarify, the guy who wrote it does have his own geocaching website (more accurately a gps game website), and it is free. :huh:

Just to clarify my post, I was not complaining about your post at all, I have seen the link before in the posts. I was just using it as an example that GC.com does not censor posts critical to GC.com or Jeremy.

Its also been there for only 2 hours and the West coast is still pretty much asleep.

Maybe you haven't seen it.

According to the article it has existed.

The article had an amazing slant to it, didn't it?

Apparently, Jeremy is the devil. Who knew? ;)

It had a slant, but I wouldn't go that far. The bottomline of business is survival of the fittest. Obviously Jeremy tried/planted many seeds to get the business to take off, and that's what you have to do. You also have to protect your business, which he also did. That kind of stuff is interesting to me. :)
Its also been there for only 2 hours and the West coast is still pretty much asleep.

It had a slant, but I wouldn't go that far. The bottomline of business is survival of the fittest. Obviously Jeremy tried/planted many seeds to get the business to take off, and that's what you have to do. You also have to protect your business, which he also did. That kind of stuff is interesting to me. :)
You may possibly be the only reader of my post to actually believe that I thought Jeremy was the devil. I wonder why that is.

You may possibly be the only reader of my post to actually believe that I thought Jeremy was the devil. I wonder why that is.
What? :laughing: Let me spell it out for you: IMHO the article did not demonize Jeremy the way you implied that it did...... :laughing:

What? :laughing: Let me spell it out for you: IMHO the article did not demonize Jeremy the way you implied that it did...... :laughing:

H?? :laughing:

The topic of this thread is "What geocache is the first cache?"

Huh? I thought it was "any caches that need aduped?"

Hey, I think the King doesn't live too far from The first cache in Pa. He didn't really specify first in the World, or in any other specific location.

:)

I found the oldest active cache in California. It was the 91st cache listed on the site and was hidden by GoodDogSD, who was the 6th person to get an account on GC.com! ;)

Edited by TrailGators

The topic of this thread is "What geocache is the first cache?"

Huh? I thought it was "any caches that need aduped?"

Hey, I think the King doesn't live too far from The first cache in Pa. He didn't really specify first in the World, or in any other specific location.

:laughing:

I found the oldest active cache in California. It was the 91st cache listed on the site and was hidden by GoodDogSD, who was the 6th person to get an account on GC.com! :blink:

That's a nice one, sounds great. Me, I have the first in Rhode Island, Pa. and New York. New York is the best of the bunch, and the oldest, 17th in the world I believe. I think someone once posted in the "Cache across America" thread they wanted to go for the oldest in all 50 states, that would be way cool. There are multiple bookmark lists that could help with that task. Who knows, retirement is never too far away. :blink:

Now, somebody needs to do something about this: :laughing:

Search

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You searched for Jeremy Irish [index]

Jump to: navigation, search

For more information about searching Wikipedia, see Wikipedia:Searching.

No page with that title exists.

You can create this page or request it.

* See all pages within Wikipedia that link to this page.

* See all pages that begin with this prefix.

Search

There is this...

Search

There is this...

And This

The Spot (GC39) is the:

1st cache placed in the eastern US (East of the Mississippi).

1st cache placed in NY.

13th cache ever placed in the US.

17th ever placed Worldwide.

Oldest active in NY

4th oldest active in the US

6th oldest active in the World.

I believe it still has the original logbook, also. I cant believe it only has 103 finds.

Although, by todays standards, the diff/terr ratings are too high.

Should be about a D2/T3

Edited by Cracker.

The Spot (GC39) is the:

1st cache placed in the eastern US (East of the Mississippi).

I had heard that "rumor" too, but actually, Beverly in Illinois is the first cache east of the Mississippi. The Spot though, is outstanding, it's what geocaching is all about, in my opinion. It will be hard for me to ever surpass the experience of finding that one. Yeah, I'll go with 3 star terrain, but I had to keep a close eye on the 7 yr. old, who was along. :laughing:

OK...so my geography isnt that great...LOL

Speaking of which, I ran into Szuchie at Paleoman's Cave this afternoon...We were talking about the original Hunters Creek cache...Coincidentally, Szuchie said he and "Urkel" had both heard the original cache was still there, and that you had both looked for it... LOL

TrailGators, you missed my post #16 up above, where I explained that the earliest caches were not assigned GC numbers in chronological order. Rather, the numbers were assigned geographically.

Beginning in September 2000, Jeremy reviewed new cache submissions to Geocaching.com and he continued to be active as a cache reviewer until the first volunteers arrived on the scene in late 2001. Review standards were a lot simpler then. Look at the map, make sure the cache writeup corresponds to what's on the map, make sure it's family-friendly and noncommercial, and press a button.

TrailGators, you missed my post #16 up above, where I explained that the earliest caches were not assigned GC numbers in chronological order. Rather, the numbers were assigned geographically.

Beginning in September 2000, Jeremy reviewed new cache submissions to Geocaching.com and he continued to be active as a cache reviewer until the first volunteers arrived on the scene in late 2001. Review standards were a lot simpler then. Look at the map, make sure the cache writeup corresponds to what's on the map, make sure it's family-friendly and noncommercial, and press a button.

Now there's knobs and dials involved.

Now there's knobs and dials involved.

You shouldn't call Mtn-man a knob like that.

Yes, I did miss it. Do you know when the first variants like multis, virts or micros were introduced? It would be interesting to get a list of first type of each cache type and who/when/where it was placed and if it's still active.