Updating your cache database with pocket queries - what is the best way

the pooks

What is the best way to update your database of caches in an area?

I have assembled a database (gpx) file of all the caches in my area by running a pocket query for all caches within a radius of my home coords (A)

Ideally I would like to run a pocket query for all the caches that are new or have changed (logs etc added) since a specified date (in this case the date would be when A was generated).

I do not see such an option in the pocket queries - they have "changed in the past week" and "new in the past week/month/year" but not "new or changed since specified date" (:laughing:

I realise I can re-run A from time to time, but that would be unnecessary. A + B would keep my database updated and B on its own would show me all the caches that are new or have new logs since A.

I hope I am not being too confusing.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks for the reply - I'm trying to hint to the webmasters to add more incremental update options!

TPTB do not support the creation and keeping of an offline database. They have solid business and practical reasons for you to visit the site frequently to get the latest and best information. So I would not look for more features.

Like CoyoteRed I also get the complete set each week. Since archived caches don't appear on the standard PQ's the only way to tell a cache is missing is that it has not been updated in a week. Personally I wish the 'updated in last 7 days' option would not include caches that were just found by someone because that fills up the 500 cache per pq limit too quickly, but would include caches that were archived since I would really like to know the cache has gone away and I should not try to find it.

The best work around I have found is to use the notifications. Upon receiving each notification you can open the cache page and manually download the gpx for it. It can be a bit tedious at 5 clicks per cache.

Part of the problem that a new "found" log is considered an "update" by the system. So in an active area, dang near every cache is "updated" in the last week.

But in other areas only about a third or a quarter of the caches are "updated." GSAK shows this quite clearly.

TPTB have indicated they would rather those of us who do the offline database thing to pull full sets, so that's what I do.