A few Garmin 60CSX issues

AzBaba

I recently bought a new Garmin 60Csx and have been using it for about a month now. I have noticed a few things different from my old GPSMAP 60. First of all, the map screen is very slow to update. I have noticed that while walking, it doesn't show my track up for several seconds, sometimes up to 20-30 secs. It continues to show north up and then it finally updates with my track up. This makes it very hard to zero in on a cache. Also, the estimated accuracy is much lower than my old 60. I often see +/- 70 ft while my old 60 was usually under +/- 30 ft. The new 60Csx is much quicker to lock on and has much better reception but the accuracy seems to be less. Any ideas on these issues.

Thanks

I recently bought a new Garmin 60Csx and have been using it for about a month now. I have noticed a few things different from my old GPSMAP 60. First of all, the map screen is very slow to update. I have noticed that while walking, it doesn't show my track up for several seconds, sometimes up to 20-30 secs. It continues to show north up and then it finally updates with my track up. This makes it very hard to zero in on a cache. Also, the estimated accuracy is much lower than my old 60. I often see +/- 70 ft while my old 60 was usually under +/- 30 ft. The new 60Csx is much quicker to lock on and has much better reception but the accuracy seems to be less. Any ideas on these issues.

Thanks

Have you made sure that the firmware is updated? Maybe there was a bug that's been fixed... Edited by TrailGators

I initially thought my 60 CSx was less accurate than the eTrex Vista I had previously. I decided later that the 60 CSX was simply reporting its accuracy more acurately. I never really got the accuracy that my Vista had claimed. In fact, the 60 CSx often underreports its accuracy. Many times, my 60 CSx is more accurate than the range shown on the satellite page.

Edited by imajeep

The EPE displayed is only a calculated guess. The 60C(S)x reports a very conservative calculation. I’ve found the actual accuracy when checked against calibrated benchmarks is almost half of the calculated EPE. The unit also normally repeats ground zero within a few feet when Geocaching. I’ve never seen anything come close to doing that with the other 40 some GPSr that I’ve owned.

The map refreshing time can be affected by the size and the number of maps showing on your GPS. I’ve notice that my screen takes longer to refresh when I have several large maps shown. I normally show either CN or Topo maps but not both because you can only view one at a time.

Edited by Cacheoholic