Virtual Geocoins

barkfeather

I have approximately 40 geocoins in circulation. Well, used to have. Eight or so of these coins have disappeared, two on their first placement. It is frustrating to see these go into someone's "pocket" as they represent not only a dollar investment, but an investment in some things I believe strongly in, like the POW/MIA coin.

As a result of this I have started copying the coins on paper (scanning, etc.) and sealing the paper copy in plastic with a very legible description and tracking number in case these did not reproduce well.

My forum question is: has anyone else tried this and if so, what success have you had? The only thing I have noticed so far is that virtual coins do nor travel as well as regular coins. Is this an acceptable way of "protecting" our coins from predators?

Hmmm..... let me start by saying that I also had a $2 compass with a TB tag attached go missing. My total $6.95 investment in this traveler was more than I could take, so from now on I'm only going to release photocopies of my TBs and TB Tags. :laughing:

Seriously. Things go missing sometimes. When people see a geocoin icon in a cache, they expect to find a real coin. Finding a paper copy is just a disappointment. If you don't want to loose a coin, then don't release it.... it's the only way to be sure.

Some people only ever release a copy coin. The real one never leaves the comfort of its binder.

We have a few missing coins, my hope is that they will turn back up one day somehow. In fact one that has not been logged since December 06 has just been found in a different cache is a total different place. So it does happen. :laughing:

Then we have one sad little coin that only moved one mile and went missing and has not been logged since April 06. I do not think that one will ever show back up. :laughing: I have thought about releasing a copy of it but I am just not sure about that.

IMO there is nothing wrong with copies as long as the TB page says it is a copy.

It is very disappointing when coins and TBs go missing (especially my coin that didn't survive GW5*). That said, I'm anti-copy. Well, not against the practice per se but I won't log one. Personally, I love finding coins and the prospect of finding a piece of paper instead with a note is, well, let's say not appealing. I just leave them in a cache for someone else.

I buy two of each coin - one for me and one for a cache and cachers. That way when a meanie cacher swipes my coin at an event at least I still have one for myself*.

*Forgive the bitterness - losing my coin at a huge event was more painful than having it pilfered from a cache. :laughing:

Things go missing. You made the decision to leave your coin in the woods, so go ahead and make the next logical step... let go of it. :laughing:

If you want to lessen the chance that somebody will steal your coin, then try drilling a large hole in it or something like that. Search the forums, there are lots of topics about keeping your coin "in the game". Releasing photocopies is not a guaranteed way to keep it from being stolen.

Imagine someone puts your photocopy into a cache that requires some major hiking. Joe-geocacher sees that coin's icon in the cache listing. It's the closest cache to him with an actual geocoin in it! Woohoo! So he decides to go make that tough hike so that he can see his first geocoin. 5 hours later, sweat pouring from his forehead, he pops the lid on the ammo can and all he sees is a laminated picture of your coin..... How would you feel if that were you? Would you CITO that laminated picture of a coin? I just might....

If you are going to release a geocoin, then release it.... but if you are going to release a picture of your geocoin, then do us all a favor and just don't release anything at all. :laughing:

Edited by rasj

What you are suggesting is called making a proxy. It's been done by people who want to keep their coins safe in their collection but also having the vicarious fun of seeing them travel at the same time.... having their cake and eating it too as it were. Good for the coin owner but not so good for finding in the field... very disappointing in fact. :laughing:

Personally I will discover a proxy for it's icon but I won't bother to move it. I like the feel of a real coin. Paper.... is for writing on and trashing. Just my 2cents worth.

EDIT: I've had coins go missing at various times after their release dates but to a coin they have ALL re-appeared. Some a few months later, one a year later. So don't be a control freak and enjoy their travels; let them go and set them free, if they resurface they are meant to be!

Edited by Droo

The best option so far is to drill the coin, print up a tag and send it out. I noticed some of my older coins which I did not do this with got lost quicker. I am also lucky there is a great geocacher in the area who helps me by putting the labels on! (o she will even drill my coins too!)

I have sent out a couple of proxys. But I put "replacement" in the title. I would suggest letting people know.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=218380

Hopefully my replacements last a bit longer.

nielsenc

If you really must send out a fake coin at leas make sure that it is written in the title of the coin page and bolded in the coin write up as well, so at least people will know that's what they're gonna find.

For me personally I won't even pick them up and move them, I'll leave them in the cache, it just takes all the fun out of it.

My forum question is: has anyone else tried this and if so, what success have you had? The only thing I have noticed so far is that virtual coins do nor travel as well as regular coins. Is this an acceptable way of "protecting" our coins from predators?

Is it acceptable... yes

Is it dissapointing to the people who find it... yes

Personally, I don't release copies since it just sits in a cache and disappoints whoever goes running off to find the coin. I would either drill them or at least make a good fake like a washer etc.

I move them. Someone took the time to make it up so I move it along. A TB is a TB be it a coin or a toy attached to a tag. The problem with the Real coin is they go missing faster than a toy attached to a tag. It's no different than some of the threads I've seen about making fake metal coins, painting them to match the original, and placing it in a cache. To me that is no different than a photo copy of a coin, they both are not the real thing. I just moved some TB's that were coin disgused as Regular TB's, not that was interesting!

I released a couple of copy coins thinking along the same lines.

"Why give up my perfectly good coin when someone is probably going to steal it. :laughing: "

I thought this was a great idea at the time.

I even noted in the name of my copy coins that they were "clones".

THEN I "found" a few copy coins and they just didn't hold the satisfaction that finding a real coin held.

Now, I don't release nothing but the real thing.

My advice is unless you are willing to make it a mindset that the coins released into the wild are nothing more than mere game pieces to the game (hobby, sport, ...) of geocaching and there is a possibility that they will eventually come up missing, then don't release them at all.

Finding fake or copy coins is about like finding an empty ammo can with a full log!! :laughing::laughing:<_<

D-man <_<

I would be VERY dissapointed if I found a paper copy of a coin, instead of the real one in a cache :D

So far I haven´t seen it in any of the caches in around here and I hope I won´t either.

I wouldn´t not log it because it´s a copy and not the real thing.

I have to jump off the bandwagon on this one.

I am not disappointed when I find a copy of a coin in a cache. There are just too many things in life to be disappointed about. Like the fact that I haven't won the lottery yet.

I've seen some really strange things sent out to travel. I never question it. I found a picture of a kid with a travel bug attached to it. Had it been a real kid, I never would have moved it (I don't like kids! LOL)

Whatever someone wants to send out to travel is fine by me. If I can help it on its mission, I do. If I can't, I leave it. If it has been sitting there awhile, I discover it. But I just don't worry about it.

Edited by MustangJoni

I have a question for those of you that don't like / wouldn't move a "proxy" coin...

Would you, have you, ever moved a hitchhiker that was not a geocaching.com trackable one? :laughing:

It's a little more work (like an extra click), but I moved one that was trackable on sigitem.com it was the only one of those i found. I came across a pathtag and went to the site it said it was trackable on, but after about 20 minutes of clicking through pages and pages trying to convince you to buy your own pathtags, i hadn't figured out how to track it and frustrated i gave up. I left it in another cache w/out logging it. Felt bad, but I was going to rip out all of my hair if i didn't give up.

Edit: I guess the question wasn't directed at me though: I would move a proxy. I pretty much agree with MustangJoni (except I might have moved the kid, imagine it'd be pretty uncomfortable for the poor kid jammed into an ammo can)

Edited by ThirstyMick

I have moved (and improved) a proxy TB. The original one was a memory module that was vandalised in Japan and so was replaced with a laminated picture of the original that included the TB number. I had no problem with that because it was a replacement (the listing did make mention of it).

Being in IT I had some old memory modules kicking around so I emailed the owner to see if they'd like me to attach one to the laminated sheet - they said 'yes please' so I riveted one to the sheet and sent it on it's way.

That said, I would be annoyed/disappointed coming across a proxy that was as sent out originally and not a replacement - especially if the listing did not make mention of it being a proxy. That said, I would still move it.

It's all in the name of the game - it's just that some people play the game differently to others.

Edited by keewee

I have a question for those of you that don't like / wouldn't move a "proxy" coin...

Would you, have you, ever moved a hitchhiker that was not a geocaching.com trackable one? :)

I think this is apples and oranges. The only non-gc.com trackable (NGT) I've found was a Canada geocoin, which I moved. The (my) issue with the copy coin is that it takes away the whole fun (for me) of coins which is seeing and holding them in person (so to speak) and replaces it with disappointment. Whether or not to move a NGT depends on convenience or even realizing that the item is an NGT - I would not be disappointed to see one. I realize that icon hunters (a term I don't use derogatorily since I like icons, too) might feel differently. One cacher's opinion.

Would you, have you, ever moved a hitchhiker that was not a geocaching.com trackable one? :)

I think this is apples and oranges. The only non-gc.com trackable (NGT) I've found was a Canada geocoin, which I moved. The (my) issue with the copy coin is that it takes away the whole fun (for me) of coins which is seeing and holding them in person (so to speak) and replaces it with disappointment. Whether or not to move a NGT depends on convenience or even realizing that the item is an NGT - I would not be disappointed to see one. I realize that icon hunters (a term I don't use derogatorily since I like icons, too) might feel differently. One cacher's opinion.

Maybe. Icon hunting could be one reason people might not move things not trackable at gc.com. But I'm starting to think the issue with 'fakes are stupid and I won't move them' is that coins have a uh :) "image", rightly or wrongly of being a shiny metal babble. And if people can't see what they expect they get annoyed. Noone seems to care much if a regular travel bug tag gets replaced with a copy, is this because TB are seen as being less defined? since the number might litterally be attached to anything, and not just to the limited defination of 'metal slug'?? Going back to things not trackable at gc.com, if theres not much of a reconized 'standard' are people more willing to accept a non-standard item? Or do we just truly dislike cheesy travelers no matter what? :o

Came across a laminated photocopied geocoin today so didn't move it because of that. Just discovered to get the icon and that was it. Edited to add its only doen 130mi, so is not a replacement, no mention of the fake coin and the picture is of the real coin!

Edited by Lotho

Would you, have you, ever moved a hitchhiker that was not a geocaching.com trackable one? :D

Maybe. Icon hunting could be one reason people might not move things not trackable at gc.com. But I'm starting to think the issue with 'fakes are stupid and I won't move them' is that coins have a uh :) "image", rightly or wrongly of being a shiny metal babble. And if people can't see what they expect they get annoyed. Noone seems to care much if a regular travel bug tag gets replaced with a copy, is this because TB are seen as being less defined? since the number might litterally be attached to anything, and not just to the limited defination of 'metal slug'?? Going back to things not trackable at gc.com, if theres not much of a reconized 'standard' are people more willing to accept a non-standard item? Or do we just truly dislike cheesy travelers no matter what? ^_^

Please note that "fakes are stupid" is a very different statement than what I said, which is that 'copies are disappointing' (single quotes because I'm summarizing). As to the "shiny metal babble", well, I think that's exactly right. One might even describe it as a "coin". I like finding coins. I don't like finding xeroxed paper. As I started earlier, I don't have anything against cachers putting out copies. But just as they have a right to do so I have a right to leave it in the cache.

I think NGTs are a separate issue but I will go on record that I delight in cheesy travelers and have put out several of my own.

I released a couple of copy coins thinking along the same lines.

"Why give up my perfectly good coin when someone is probably going to steal it. ^_^ "

I thought this was a great idea at the time.

I even noted in the name of my copy coins that they were "clones".

THEN I "found" a few copy coins and they just didn't hold the satisfaction that finding a real coin held.

Now, I don't release nothing but the real thing.

My advice is unless you are willing to make it a mindset that the coins released into the wild are nothing more than mere game pieces to the game (hobby, sport, ...) of geocaching and there is a possibility that they will eventually come up missing, then don't release them at all.

Finding fake or copy coins is about like finding an empty ammo can with a full log!! :):D:D

D-man :)

Just adding that I will still log and move a "copy coin", but I just don't get the satisfaction that I get from finding the real thing.

Just like I said above about the empty ammo can with a full log... There is the thrill of the hunt & find, but the satisfaction of the real thing (stocked can with plenty of room in the log to sign) just isn't there. :D

D-man :D

So you'll take advantage of getting a new icon, but you won't move it. Now that is standing by your princeples! ^_^

What do you mean my principles? I will not move a fake coin. Why shouldn't i discover it to get another icon? If they want to put the real coin out i would of definetly moved it.

Would you, have you, ever moved a hitchhiker that was not a geocaching.com trackable one? :D

Maybe. Icon hunting could be one reason people might not move things not trackable at gc.com. But I'm starting to think the issue with 'fakes are stupid and I won't move them' is that coins have a uh :D "image", rightly or wrongly of being a shiny metal babble. And if people can't see what they expect they get annoyed. Noone seems to care much if a regular travel bug tag gets replaced with a copy, is this because TB are seen as being less defined? since the number might litterally be attached to anything, and not just to the limited defination of 'metal slug'?? Going back to things not trackable at gc.com, if theres not much of a reconized 'standard' are people more willing to accept a non-standard item? Or do we just truly dislike cheesy travelers no matter what? :D

Please note that "fakes are stupid" is a very different statement than what I said, which is that 'copies are disappointing' (single quotes because I'm summarizing). As to the "shiny metal babble", well, I think that's exactly right. One might even describe it as a "coin". I like finding coins. I don't like finding xeroxed paper. As I started earlier, I don't have anything against cachers putting out copies. But just as they have a right to do so I have a right to leave it in the cache.

I think NGTs are a separate issue but I will go on record that I delight in cheesy travelers and have put out several of my own.

Yes I realize you didn't say 'fakes are stupid', noone in this thread did except me. I was trying to summarize the apprent dislike some people have toward 'fakes' into something very short. Perhaps 'fakes are disliked' would have been better.

LOL, so your saying the paper fake didn't fit the "image" of a geocoin? :tired:

I am not saying you or anyone else can't choice to ignore any traveler you like. Leave or take whatever you like :P. I'm just slighy amused the reasons for doing so on gecoins just seems to be more picky :huh: .

In a game which rules are enforced by the "honor system", the temptation to take geocoins can be overpowering. Collecting geocoins can be addicting. My wife sometimes jokes that Geocaching is a "rich mans sport", and I can't necessarily disagree... if you want to play the game the way it's intended.

How exactly is the game intended to be played? Eveyone has their own rules on how they play. Some think it's a game of hide and seek, swap some stuff and gain numbers. Others (myself included) search only for geocoins or TBs. I wont bother explaining the satisfaction of holding a cold, heavy, beautiful geocoin in your hand, but it sure is rewarding. When I play 'the game', I have a few geocoins in my pocket. If there is one in the cache, I'll trade one for one. If it's missing, I don't. I always trade up in swag. My experience has been most people trade down if they even trade at all. The impression I have is some people feel they should be rewarded for their 'work' and forget they're participating in a game. That's just an opinion.

I went on vacation during the holidays in '07, San Bernardino in So. California. We went on 15 or so hunts and EVERY SINGLE ONE had been pilfered, and destroyed. It only takes one person to destroy the whole game, and no-one can deny the fact that there are just some angry people in the world.

Now, for my opinion: I've come across proxy geocoins in the past, and I just pass 'em by and not even bother logging them. I think half the value of a geocoin is in the unique coin code. The problem is anyone can copy any number of "proxys" as replacement(s). The ones I've seen are printed on lables put on poker chips. Not too hokey, and much better than simply a piece of paper run through an inkjet printer. But it's better than nothing. The alternative is to not put anything in at all. I don't really understand how anyone can be bummed out because they didn't find something that wasn't theirs to begin with. :laughing:

I THINK UNTIL THE GAME IS MORE REFINED, PROXY COINS ARE BETTER THAN NOTHING.

When I play 'the game', I have a few geocoins in my pocket. If there is one in the cache, I'll trade one for one. If it's missing, I don't.

Can you please clarify what you mean by this statement? I'm a little confused and actually a bit concerned but it may just be the way I'm interpreting what you said.

Given a choice between a copy and nothing at all, I'll take the copy every time

- - - -

There is a multi-year history of creating a copy of a travel bug tag when the original goes missing

I see no reason why the same should not be done for a coin

(which was the original question)

how about something like this is this better then just a piece of paper Coin Would you move something like that. My opinion is that i dont like "cheaply" made proxys but if someone puts some time into it ill still enjoy it like a regular coin. I will still move any proxy no matter cause im a travel bug/ Geocoin ho and love to move bugs.

After we pick up someone’s coin from a cache (we always photo them) we follow it through the next cacher. We watch to see if it gets picked up from the cache where we drop it and keep an eye on it until the next person logs a drop on it.

I know this doesn't help if it is not logged on pick up - but we feel a little responsible for it until it passes through another's hands.

This helped on at least one occasion where we saw one picked up and not logged as a drop after a month. We posted a follow-up note on the coin's page and then sent a note to the cacher who retrieved it commenting on how great a coin that we wondered where they were caching next - so we might recommend to a friend where to cache to find it next.

They did not answer our email – but the coin was dropped in the next 3 days. Maybe just a *coincidence* :laughing: . Pardon the pun.

I started caching in October last year and discovered the world of Geocoins.

I love them and have a (too) large collection. Yesterday I drove 50 miles to do 5 caches but especially to pick up a coin from one of them, it was the Isle of Man coin and I had seen internet pictures of it and was looking forward to seeing the real thing. It was worth the trip, the coin is beautiful and I am grateful to the owners for releasing it and sharing it with me. I will keep it and admire it for a few days then send it onwards. I would have been gutted to find a paper copy.

I have released 14 coins so far and will release more in the hope that they will not be stolen but if they are then so be it, the thief will have to live with the guilt and will have to deal with the karma when it arrives on their doorstep.

I remember the first geocoin I found. I wasn't sure what to do with it... it wasn't activated, so I immedately activated it and held on to it. The next coin I found was SO cool, and it had a mission attached to it - only then did I realize that geocoins were travelers.

I now have several coins traveling around the world. I have never found a geocoin "copy" - but I would help it to move along on its mission.