Rino 530HCx vs 60CSx

Being an 'H' model, AFAIK it's not identical to the 60 CSx. But the 'H' series chipset is supposed to be comparable to SIRFStar III, the chipset used in the 60 CSx. One poster a couple of months ago even liked it better. But at this point, it's all speculation. We won't really know until the units have been out for a while.

I bought a new Rino 530 in February. I have been learning to use it. I was real undecided for some time before the purchase. I wanted the 60CSX for the new chip...but...I use my rino in dirt bike riding of trails with two other Rino users.

Since Feb. I have been happy with the way rinos work. The "location of your Buddy" could be better...but OH. Well..........I hardley ever use the talking mode of the radio.

I bought it at Cabelas and I am waiting for the release of the new model. According to Cabelas' policy of "Satisfaction Quaranted" they will allow me to RETURN at full amount on another.

It has LOST SIGNAL a few times in the Mountain trails here in Idaho..........It loses some of the tracking....I hope the new model will FILL THE GAPS

I am pleased with the mapping capabilities of the Rino...................

IN MY OPINION.....if you do not need the radio functions.........BUY THE 60 CSX

The "locator" function of the Rino Series uses the radio transmitting signal of the GPS. This will be functional out to as much as 2 - 10 miles in IDEAL "line of sight" situations.

By my experience, when used in mountain and canyon terrain.........if your Buddy is out of sight. It is pretty much useless..........The GPS don't know where he is either.

When used out in the Southern Idaho deserts, it is much more able to put a Contact on the map screen.

I am going to get the new one as soon as it gets a release....The Rinos are a multifuctional tool and an excellant mapping GPS.......I just wish the radio part of it had more range.....BUT..OH WELL.

I use the "old" Mapsource Topo map for my rides.........It works great. I have not seen much difference with the new 2008 Topo maps. I probably will not buy it. My plans are to get the City Navigator V8... That is why I am holding out for the new Rino model that will take memory cards.............................

The "locator" function of the Rino Series uses the radio transmitting signal of the GPS. This will be functional out to as much as 2 - 10 miles in IDEAL "line of sight" situations.

By my experience, when used in mountain and canyon terrain.........if your Buddy is out of sight. It is pretty much useless..........The GPS don't know where he is either.

When used out in the Southern Idaho deserts, it is much more able to put a Contact on the map screen...

- I plan to buy it for my road biking rides. Do a city buildings, woods be a big obstacle for seeing my buddy ?

Yes...City Buildings and Woods will effect the effeciancy of the "locator" ability. The RADIO SIGNAL gets "blocked" by buildings , Ridges, moutains, etc.

I have been less then a 1/2 mile away from my friends riding in the mountain trails and if they are over the ridge (out of sight) the radio waves cannot see them either.

The way to help remedy this, ......is to ride to a high point yourself and them "summon" them with a keyed mike button...........You will usually see your contact appear on the map screen. Since you have high ground advantage.

These Rinos are great units..........................I have a 530..hoping for the 530 HCX soon....................