woohoo!

TreasureRaiders

Ok, ya'll will probably think this is silly but we're a bit new to all this...we got our first geocoins in the mail today! I'm so excited! One is the sniper chicken and one is the air force coin...I'm so impressed with the detail and how heavy they are! We've only run across one in the "wild" and it was a simple design...The only thing is (blushing) I like them so well I don't want to send them out! How do you guys do it? I'm afraid it will disappear into some muggles pocket...and......well........they're so shiny! lol...I just don't want to give them up! maybe I should order another to put in a cache?

Yeah, my original intention for the 'order two of each' coin was to have one to keep and one to release. But that 'to release' one quickly turned into a trade coin that I could trade with someone else for another coin that I wanted.

:D

Now, 3 binders later, I am proud to say that some of them are definitely traveling well. If you get a chance to release one, it's often even more exciting to send it to someone overseas or on the other side of the country from where you are located and have them release it locally. I find that I've started taking to heart the motto that is on the top of the http://geocaching.com/track page: "Live vicariously through inanimate objects" :D My traveling coin in New Zealand has informed us on so many cool places down there that we feel like we have (virtually) visited some of those places ourselves now.

I have released some, but not many. When I release them and want them to travel, I drill them, attach a tag and put a non-removable cable thru both. When I let a coin go to travel, I don't want it to end up in somebody's collection which is why it's drilled. Of course, when I find a really special cache, I'll leave an undrilled coin for the next finder to do with what he likes. Sometimes I let the cache owner know it's there, especially if the cache was great.

Of course, when I find a really special cache, I'll leave an undrilled coin for the next finder to do with what he likes. Sometimes I let the cache owner know it's there, especially if the cache was great.

Does that mean you leave an unactivated coin for someone to add to their collection? That sounds like a neat idea--I wish there were more caches here but in West Texas they are far and in between! I planted a red jeep in a gorgeous wildlife preserve on 1 july and no one has touched it yet! I may have to go back and grab it next week and put it in a more accessible area....

Hello TreasureRaiders (I like your GeoNick)! Welcome to the world of Geocoins! I have been collecting since about Oct/Nov and have many, many coins. It is totally addicting! I keep trying to stop, but there are so many cool coins out there. Someone in the forums compared them to tiny pieces of art and I think that person hit the nail on the head!

Like others, my intentions were to buy one and put one in a cache, but when I did that they were stolen. I sent a couple overseas and they have continued to travel so far!

Again, like others, I found that I will buy more than one coin in hopes of a trade, but that has only happened once.

Good luck on your coin collecting. BTW, I bought those coins, too. They are cool! :laughing: