Do I post an "Owner Maintenance" log?

Am I supposed to post an "Owner Maintenance" log when I check on a cache and everything was fine? There were no DNFs or problems noted prior to my visit, I just wanted to see how the cache was holding up.

Thanks

If the cache didn't really need maintenance, you could log your visit with a note. You don't have to log anything, if you don't want to.

Posting an owner maintenance log is a good way to let those considering searching for your cache know that it has been checked recently and should be in good shape. This is more helpful if the cache is in a location where it is not visited frequently.

If there has been a needs maintenance log posted, I believe posting an owner maintenance log will remove the needs maintenance attribute from the cache page. I'm sure someone will correct this if I am wrong.

"Owner Maintenance" logs are mostly just a note to yourself (and sometimes the reviewers look at them too) to remember when you maintained the cache. I like to note every visit to my caches so I can remember what I did. With dozens of caches out there, it's hard to remember when I last replaced the logbook on a given one.

In summary: not required, but a good idea as a personal reminder to yourself of when you last checked that cache, as an adviser to seekers that the cache is maintained and looking for it most likely won't be a waste of time, and as an adviser to your reviewer that you are keeping up with your responsibilities as a cache owner.

A good idea!

We usually post a note unless we do have to do maintenance. A maintenance log doesn't insure the cache is in good shape, we just checked on a cache and it was stolen, thrown away or whatever happened to it, it was gone the next day a cacher went to it. We just went out today to see for ourselves and placed a new temporary container (cache) until we get another better cache container for it. Our first cache to go missing, Sheesh.

You can handle a visit however you see fit. It's your cache.

I also log an owner maintenance visit whenever I check on one of my caches. I usually re-stock it anyway, and as others have said it lets others know that the cache was recently overhauled and in good shape.

Edited by Trinity's Crew

If the cache didn't have any DNFs or maintenance issues reported, I generally wouldn't post an online log for routine maintenance visits. The reason that I don't is because this will show up as one of the five logs a PQ. Some cachers like to read these logs in teh field if they have trouble finding it. My routine maintenance log could make their needed clue unavailable.

But if you revisit a cache as a non-owner to drop off a travel bug and it hasn't been "found" in six months, log another find to update the "last time found" field in the database to show that it still is there, in good condition, and could be useful in queries, that is very taboo and you will get your head cut off for doing so because it bumps up your counter which is important for some reason.

Am I supposed to post an "Owner Maintenance" log when I check on a cache and everything was fine? There were no DNFs or problems noted prior to my visit, I just wanted to see how the cache was holding up.

Thanks

I sometimes check on mine no matter what and tend to post the owners maintenance log just because I can.

Edited by wandat24

If the cache didn't have any DNFs or maintenance issues reported, I generally wouldn't post an online log for routine maintenance visits. The reason that I don't is because this will show up as one of the five logs a PQ. Some cachers like to read these logs in teh field if they have trouble finding it. My routine maintenance log could make their needed clue unavailable.

Being the cache owner, I guess if I was really that concerned someone couldn't find my cache because they didn't get to read previous logs I should probably provide a better hint.

Being the cache owner, I guess if I was really that concerned someone couldn't find my cache because they didn't get to read previous logs I should probably provide a better hint.
I guess this is that one thing that you and I disagree on, huh?

That should they need to, you want people looking for your cache to rely on the last five logs in hopes there is relevant information to help find it?

Okay :ph34r:

I mean I don't mind getting rid of clutter logs like 'Bug drop' I just don't see having posting that give clues to finding caches as some sort of obligation.

Telling me the cache is intact and available to find is certainly much more of a important owner responsibility in my book. If the owner does maintenance and the "I hung the cache back on the limb' post falls off the list, fine by me.

Just my opinion.

That should they need to, you want people looking for your cache to rely on the last five logs in hopes there is relevant information to help find it?

Okay :ph34r:

I mean I don't mind getting rid of clutter logs like 'Bug drop' I just don't see having posting that give clues to finding caches as some sort of obligation.

Telling me the cache is intact and available to find is certainly much more of a important owner responsibility in my book. If the owner does maintenance and the "I hung the cache back on the limb' post falls off the list, fine by me.

Just my opinion.

My feeling is that if there has been no indication of a problem with the cache, I don't see the point of my logging a 'performed maintenance' simply because I glanced at it when I was in the neighborhood. In my opinion, the log is as much of a 'clutter log' as the 'bug drop' log.

I can see why you enter a performed maintenance log in these situations, but I don't really see the benefit in the owner telling everyone that the cache is still there and in good shape when there was no indication of a problem.

By the way, my last post should be taken as 'tongue in cheek' only.

Edited by sbell111
My feeling is that if there has been no indication of a problem with the cache, I don't see the point of my logging a 'performed maintenance' simply because I glanced at it when I was in the neighborhood. In my opinion, the log is as much of a 'clutter log' as the 'bug drop' log.

I can see why you enter a performed maintenance log in these situations, but I don't really see the benefit in the owner telling everyone that the cache is still there and in good shape when there was no indication of a problem.

Fair enough. I don't disagree with you there.

Ah, maybe I should go have my dinner since I seem to be taking the bait so easily. :ph34r:

Fair enough. I don't disagree with you there.
Ah, maybe I should go have my dinner since I seem to be taking the bait so easily. :ph34r:
I considered adding a 'smiley', but didn't bother.

I took a hike today to check on some of my caches. I found one had been stolen, one had been tossed into the bushes without any care taken to rehide it, one had fallen down an embankment and needed to be rehidden, another one needed to be moved slightly, and another one was fine.

I posted Owner Maintenance notes. :ph34r: