What's the hardest cache you've put a coin in?

Kealia

I tend to drop my personal coins in caches that require at least a two-mile hike, are milestones, or are really just A+ caches IMO.

Today, I dropped one in this cache, which required the following effort to get to:

nisenemarks070807su0.jpg

Note, that this was just for the portions of this cache that I did TODAY, not the whole thing.... :laughing: .

It was a GREAT experience all-around. Well thought out, well placed, and a lot of fun and effort. It got me thinking about the caches where I've dropped personal coins as swag, so I thought I'd see what specific caches that others have done it for.

So, what's the hardest cache that you've dropped unactivated (personal or not) coins in as swag?

Edited by kealia

I don't do very hard hikes. Don't like 'em.

So I guess GC6045, which probably wouldn't be hard for some, but at the pace I was moving for this one, it about killed me on an 80-degree humid afternoon.

I'll probably leave one here if I ever go back and finish it. We have 1 more stage & the final left.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Wow, Tour de Nisene sounds like a great adventure.

Back in January we did The Historic Bumby Camp cache. 9.65 miles round trip (including the bonus cache). We did half on our bikes, half on foot. It's in Melbourne, Florida, so basically no change in elevation. ToriExplorer (9 years old) was quite the trooper on this journey, and even got in a little history lesson!

Anyway, I left a Dream Catcher geocoin as swag.

We don't target "hardest" so I couldn't honestly say. We do target really great caches though. I love to hear the reactions of the finders. I'm often dissapointed by how few trade even for them though or even acknowledge finding them at all even after leaving messages with the coins requesting it. They simply disappear or I see a note like "Took Geocoin, LNSL". :o Oh, well, one conversion at a time. :o

I'll have to think more about the great caches though. We've left a few "recently" that haven't been found yet though. :laughing:

Whoa, that sounds like a fun cache to try and congrats on being FTF. I don't have a personal coin but if I did I like the idea of making it a prize for an accomplishment. For my latest milestone at GCXWRY a green jeep was my reward but also the view, the destination and adventure. The next finder will have to satisfy themselves with the TB I left behind.

I like to leave coins behind in hiking caches to lure cachers who might otherwise be too comfortable with P&Gs. Unfortunately it doesn't always work (if it's over 0.25 mi) and when it does it's frequently noobs who then require a few emails of instruction on how to log the coins and what to do with them. A personal coin (untrackable) makes more sense in this regard.

Edited by Droo

I don't know about the hardest, but I know the easiest (GCC2D1). I can't believe it's still there (as of last night)!

--Marky

A couple of weeks ago I found a GSA coin that had been sitting in a 1/1 cache for a week!! I rode nearly 150 miles to get it but was a little disappointed it was just a quick P&G. GCWKYE

We left a coin in A Monk's Treasure, guess it is pretty tough since it has only had 9 finders in 1.5 years. After solving the puzzle the hike to the cache is only about 2.5 miles round trip, unless of course you lose the (unmaintained) trail. Our track log that day was about 4 miles.

That looks like fun. I tend to have trouble with puzzles, so thankfully this isn't on the Big Island to torture me!

I left 6 geocoins in Tube Torcher II (GCWA47)

A acouple of them were activated, the majority were swag. :D

I also left a couple of traders in Bradley's Bottom.

There are a number of travelers in that cache. Do they sit for long? I only ask because I know I cringe a bit when my coins/TBs get dropped in extreme caches since they tend to sit for months at a time.

Love the comments about the elevation changes (or lack thereof). I sometimes forget that not ever place in the country is built like California. We're a bit ego-centric out here :D

There are a number of travelers in that cache. Do they sit for long? I only ask because I know I cringe a bit when my coins/TBs get dropped in extreme caches since they tend to sit for months at a time.

Travelers in Tube Torcher II have the potential to be there a while. When it was first published, lots of cachers went after it, so there were finders pretty often, but recently the "found it" logs have started to slow down. The cache owners do try to remove any that have been there a while and get them moving again, but it takes quite an effort, even for the cache owners, to visit the final location. So a traveler could possibly be there for quite a long time.

The travelers that I left were owned by me, and I expected them to sit there for a while. I don't sweat it much when they get placed in a super tough cache like TT2, because I know that at least they won't be muggled! :D The owners of some of the other travelers may feel differently though, but I'm sure if they dropped the cache owners an email, they would try to get out there soon and remove them.

Love the comments about the elevation changes (or lack thereof). I sometimes forget that not ever place in the country is built like California. We're a bit ego-centric out here :D

Yep, not much elevation change in Melbourne, Florida! Here's ToriExplorer at my Jumbo Shrimp cache. I'm standing at sea level, and she's about halfway up the "hill". This is rock climbing, Florida style!

JumboShrimp.jpg

I have a few caches on rocks like these - those types of caches get a coin as FTF prize!

rasj - That sounds like it's being handled. I am a bit torn on the hard ones for my travelers. ONe hte one hand, they don't move - but on the other hand, they don't get muggled either :D

Yep, not much elevation change in Melbourne, Florida! Here's ToriExplorer at my Jumbo Shrimp cache. I'm standing at sea level, and she's about halfway up the "hill". This is rock climbing, Florida style!

I have a few caches on rocks like these - those types of caches get a coin as FTF prize!

LOL, I guess that mapping feature on most GPSrs doesn't get used much out there, eh?

OK, with all the people that put coins in caches - where are the stories/links?

Well, I already mentioned the Historic Bumby Camp cache I put a Dream catcher coin in. That was probably our most grueling, yet most rewarding cache hunt. I just checked the logs for that cache, no one ever claimed to pick it up. I find a lot of cachers around here don't log what they leave and what they take.

I haven't put out any really physically challenging caches, but for the ones I've put out that involve rock climbing (Florida-style), I usually put in coins as FTF prizes:

Rocky Point Cache

On The Rocks ... Again

Castaway Point Cache

Captain Hook's Island

A couple of times, kids were caching with their parents, and they got the coins, their very first. And they get so excited! That's way cool!

We left a coin in A Monk's Treasure, guess it is pretty tough since it has only had 9 finders in 1.5 years. After solving the puzzle the hike to the cache is only about 2.5 miles round trip, unless of course you lose the (unmaintained) trail. Our track log that day was about 4 miles.

That looks like fun. I tend to have trouble with puzzles, so thankfully this isn't on the Big Island to torture me!

Well one of these years you have to stop on Oahu to see what caching is like over here. We do have a high percentage of puzzle caches. Of course most of us like our caches to be found and will usually give hints when asked.

And though our puzzles are nowhere near the hardest ones around, we usually leave an unregistered coin as the FTF prize. We try to match it to the theme of the puzzle.

For 867-5309 the prize was a "Phone a Friend" coin.

For my piggy bank we left a May 2006 GCC coin, the one that looked like a "proof" coin.

And while Hawaii Five-O: Episode 279. Out of Cache doesn't technically belong to us, we donated the Undercover Cacher coin that was the FTF prize.

The most difficult cache we have put coins in has been the GCJN38 The Lacy Snipe Hunt

Not really a mountain climb. It was a six mile round trip hike and it is a night cache so you hike it in the dark. It is on a part of the Bartram Trail, which does lead to the second highest peak in Georgia Raburn Bald but the cache is not on top of the mountain.

Our daughter was very tired when I came back to the pick up point after her first real hike. But she loved it and wants to hike more. She left some goodies in the cache and even got a goodie from AllenLacy who was with them on the hike.

ParentsofSAM Log

SAMrGRITS Log

Well one of these years you have to stop on Oahu to see what caching is like over here. We do have a high percentage of puzzle caches. Of course most of us like our caches to be found and will usually give hints when asked.

And though our puzzles are nowhere near the hardest ones around, we usually leave an unregistered coin as the FTF prize. We try to match it to the theme of the puzzle.

For 867-5309 the prize was a "Phone a Friend" coin.

Great....now I have that song in my head! :D:angry:

The most difficult cache we have put coins in has been the GCJN38 The Lacy Snipe Hunt

That looks like a lot of fun! I love night caches and that sounds like a great one.

Thanks for sharing.

I like sticking unactivated coins in my caches as FTF prizes. I have a couple of really long mystery caches that I will re-stock with unactivated coins since it takes a lot of effort to find them. GCVPZX was placed last year for my geohoney's birthday. To find it you have to find 49 other caches. They are set up as seven cache sets - in each set you have to find 6 caches and obtain clues from them to get the 7th cache (the mystery cache). Each set is contained to a park so you can park your car once, find at least 7 caches and get in a good walk. Each mystery cache has a clue in it to find the "Ultra Mystery Cache".

This year for his birthday I got together with a bunch of local cachers and between us all we placed one cache in every mile from his house for 50 miles. Each one of those caches has a number in it and when you add up all of the numbers you get the coordinates for HBZ 51- GC13RPB. Besides having to find 50 other caches (and having to drive all over the state to do so) finding this cache will give you a workout - but once you're there it's all worth it! So far only one finder, but several people are working on it. I told my geohoney next year it's just one cache for his birthday!!

Edited by WI_Robin

We like to place unactivated coins in caches for the FTF.

Here is one that doesn't really involve a lot of hiking, but trying to figure out how to get to the actual cache really is what raises the difficulty level! One wrong move and you will be in deep, nasty water!! It does involve some climbing, a short hike, and trying to find clues in graffiti! We placed an unactivated Spinning Coin in this one for the FTF and they loved it!

World's Largest Swimming Pool (GCVQQD)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...e5-fb6faae672c3

As Far as a personal...Aint got it yet! But I do Leave Freshly activated coins at all the long caches or hard to get to caches that either havent been found for a while or just need a coin in em. And as far as Swag prizes...a few of them have earned a coin as swag as well.

Cant wait to have mine...I plan on having a cache only Non-Trackable version as well. It should be done by my 1 year caching anniversary...So itll be a special treat!

Heres some hard earned coin deserving caches Ive done...and many more to do!

Eddie and Tylers favorite...For just a Dang Steep hike and my 200th!

Trickles Treasure Box For giving the run around for 2 days lookin for my Geo-Leprechaun

Bovine Hill Stash For being the oldest cache around and quite a hike with no 4X4

BigD's Dilemma For the dedicated cache and the 4+hours it took to finish it.

The Copper Mine By Bikedog Was my another hard one and all i could leave as far as a coin was someone elses Relax Coin...Bad Me!!! But I did leave a very special Sig.

Edited by 007BigD

As Far as a personal...Aint got it yet! But I do Leave Freshly activated coins at all the long caches or hard to get to caches that either havent been found for a while or just need a coin in em. And as far as Swag prizes...a few of them have earned a coin as swag as well.

Cant wait to have mine...I plan on having a cache only Non-Trackable version as well. It should be done by my 1 year caching anniversary...So itll be a special treat!

Awesome Dave - looking forward to seeing that one appear :huh:

The toughest cache I've done and placed a coin in at the same time is this one 1059 , in the wilds of Labrador, Canada. I seriously think the coin might be rusted away before anyone else gets out there! It was a long ride, taking us nearly 14 hours overland, and we've no doubt it was the first time a snowmobile was in that area.

I checked out that cache last night out of curiosity. Great pics on your log and I loved reading the story, looks like it was an excellent adventure!

Edited by tsunrisebey