Getting satellite fix after long (six time zones) trip

I will be traveling from the eastern USA to Switzerland, a difference (I believe) of six time zones. Any hints on how to get a satellite fix reasonably fast? I have a GPSmap CSX60, and it has the Swiss Mapsource maps installed.

The GPSmap 76cs manual has a very brief comment on the satellites page:

To shorten the time required for initialization, select "New Location"from the options menu, then use the Map page to determine your general location so the GPSmap76CS can search for those satellites above you."
Assuming this advice is valid for the 60CSx, how exactly do I "use the Map page to determine your general location ..."? Is it as simple as doing a Find by name for the location where I am?

Many thanks.

I dont really understand the entire question but i would think if you change areas like that it should acquire signals much faster if you re-initialize.

When my unit initializes it asks which country i am in. I dont know about a map.

Edited by knight2000

I crossed 4 time zones recently and when i arrived at the new location my 60cx (same sirf receiver as yours) aquired the signal in just a couple of minutes. If that doesn't work for you (but i'm sure it will with that gps) what the "new location" you're referring to is this:

When you turn on your gps, while on the satellite page press the menu button. This will allow you to turn the gps off, continue searching, or change the reference to a new location by using the map. By choosing this option, your gps will then switch to the map screen, showing the last place your gps was locked in. Zoom all the way out and pan over to switzerland. Zoom in and pan reasonably close to where you actually are. This gives the gps an idea of which satellites to look for, and where. I haven't got my gps in front of me at this moment, but i know that the instructions are close enough for you to figure it out. Good luck. Try it where you are now and you'll see how it works.

Try it where you are now and you'll see how it works.
Thanks, tried it and it seems to work!

Even easier, when the GPS is searching for signals, from the satelite screen, press MENU and then select New Location and then Automatic. It may take slightly longer to lock than panning with the map, but it saves the time of panning with the map.

This came in handy when I flew from New York to Sydney. The GPS couldn't get a lock until I selected the New Location option.

Even easier, when the GPS is searching for signals, from the satelite screen, press MENU and then select New Location and then Automatic. It may take slightly longer to lock than panning with the map, but it saves the time of panning with the map.

This came in handy when I flew from New York to Sydney. The GPS couldn't get a lock until I selected the New Location option.

I am, in fact, in no real hurry to get a fix, simply turning it on and selecting Automatic will get a fix long before I need it (will be inside airport/rail station for a couple of hours!!). But some of us like to fool around and do things the hard way!
Try it where you are now and you'll see how it works.
Thanks, tried it and it seems to work!

Even easier, when the GPS is searching for signals, from the satelite screen, press MENU and then select New Location and then Automatic.

That works good too!

Edited by GreatCanadian
I ended up doing it this way, and got a fix in just over sixty seconds. Ditto on returning to the States.