Cannot get computer to recognize Garmin Map760csx

Using Windows XP Home Edition, I've installed the Mapsource CD. When I plug in my GPSr, with the USB cable supplied with it, and turn it on, I get a window saying I have new hardware and it's time to install it.

No matter what combination I use (let the computer find it, locate the folder myself), it won't install the new hardware. I've looked in all folders that have to do with Garmin, including the one I just downloaded for USB drivers for this unit. The message I get is "cannot locate Garmin USB GPS". Do I have a faulty USB cable?

I'm just about bald from snatching my hair out. Help? :D

Using Windows XP Home Edition, I've installed the Mapsource CD. When I plug in my GPSr, with the USB cable supplied with it, and turn it on, I get a window saying I have new hardware and it's time to install it.

No matter what combination I use (let the computer find it, locate the folder myself), it won't install the new hardware. I've looked in all folders that have to do with Garmin, including the one I just downloaded for USB drivers for this unit. The message I get is "cannot locate Garmin USB GPS". Do I have a faulty USB cable?

I had that problem until I changed usb ports. For some reason it didn't like the port I was using!

I don't know if downloading a new driver from the Garmin site would help, but that is what I would try.

When I put City Navigator on this DELL laptop, it put the driver in the root directory on the C:\ drive . . . which is not where I would have put it if I had a choice. The Garmin maps are great, but their Mapsource software is somewhat "primitive" in the way it behaves . . . ;(

I had that problem until I changed usb ports. For some reason it didn't like the port I was using!

I have the same problem sometimes and switching ports works for me too. I think Windows gets confused. I would like to know how to fix this too.

I have the same problem sometimes and switching ports works for me too. I think Windows gets confused. I would like to know how to fix this too.

I have only the one USB port that fits my cable. The others are progressively bigger. I think I'll try the USB cable that works with my Palm, I have no trouble with that one.

I have only the one USB port that fits my cable. The others are progressively bigger. I think I'll try the USB cable that works with my Palm, I have no trouble with that one.

I was talking about trying a different USB port on your PC. Also the cable won't matter.

The only way I got my 76csx to play with mapsource was to first put it into interface/mass storage mode then plug in the usb connector. Windows accepted it as a new drive and then, I'm not sure how, the garmin drivers were installed on the unit also allowing it to use the storage card. BUT! After it was all set up, it cannot be in the mass storage mode to transfer between mapsource and the gpsr, hit the power button and it will restart itself to get out of mass storage mode. Now to transfer data I just plug in the usb, turn it on and let it sit on the satellite page.

qwerky

Did you put in your unlock code? I had to go through a whole telephone routine to get my unlock code for my Mapsource City Navigator NT--I'd thrown out the packaging when I bought it on vacation in Chicago on June 3, only to discover that the unlock code (supposedly) was hidden in the cardboard fold inside the blisterpak. I faxed them my receipt for the software and they emailed me an unlock code, and all went well--I was able to put the whole disk on a 1-gig mini-SD card. Whether the whole unlock routine actually had anything to do with this success, I can't say for sure. I have a Vista which supposedly needed an unlock code, which I never found and never needed; I could load my 3-year-old Mapsource City Select to the Vista without a problem.

If you have additional storage devices on your computer there may be a conflict with your GPSr using a drive letter that has already been assigned.

If you are familiar with Windows, please check Computer Management with your GPSr connected. It will show you all drive letters used and allow you to change drive letters.