Needs Maintenance Attribute

Tonsil

Hey all, I don't hit the site much anymore, so I apologize if this has come up before (tried searching first). One of my caches had a 'needs maintenance' log posted some time ago. Since then, I fixed up the cache and posted an 'enable listing' log. However, I noticed that there is a 'needs maintenance' attribute on the cache listing that I cannot seem to get rid of. What's the trick?

Thanks.

Two ways to get rid of this problem:

1. Click add_comment.gifLog you visit.

Then post the Owner Maitenance Log type:

untitledse6.png

2. Click on edit_attribute.gifEdit Attributes

And click on the dot for the needs maitanence attribute (firstaid-yes.gif)

under the N/R section, it should then turn gray. (firstaid.gif)

Hope that helps!

Edited by stepshep

Thanks for the responses. For some reason, the second option (editing the attribute) wasn't available to me. When I went to the 'edit attributes' page, the maintenance attribute simply wasn't there for me to turn off. However, it was still showing on the page. I did manage to write an 'Owner Maintenance' log and remove it that way.

I also figured out why I was confused. Like I said, I havent used the site in some time. After a cacher posted a 'Needs Maintenance' log, I disabled the cache. When I reenabled the cache, I wrote a 'enable listing' log, but not an 'Owner Maintenance' log. I don't remember having to do both before - Is the maintenance cylce a relatively new addition? Do owners still diasble/enable the cache during maintenance, or are most people hip to the attribute that pops up to know not to search for the cache?

The "Needs Maintenance" and "Owner Maintenance" logs are a relatively recent addition to the site, in the past year or two. They were added due to the community's request for something short of a "Needs Archived" log which triggers the involvement of a volunteer cache reviewer.

The maintenance and enable/disable log types function independently. There can be a "needs maintenance" log that does not require disabling the cache. Or, a cache can be disabled without there being a maintenance issue (example: the park is closed for the winter). So, if you fix a disabled cache that has the maintenance flag, it requires two logs to set everything back to normal.

So, if you fix a disabled cache that has the maintenance flag, it requires two logs to set everything back to normal.

So why would that be? In other words, is there a reason for not having "Enable Cache" also remove a "Needs Maintenance" attribute if it is there? Seems kind of daft to require 2 logs and if you are enabling your cache you are presumably doing it because you have fixed whatever was the problem with it in the first place.

So, if you fix a disabled cache that has the maintenance flag, it requires two logs to set everything back to normal.

So why would that be? In other words, is there a reason for not having "Enable Cache" also remove a "Needs Maintenance" attribute if it is there? Seems kind of daft to require 2 logs and if you are enabling your cache you are presumably doing it because you have fixed whatever was the problem with it in the first place.

The two issues are independent, and that is just how it is.

Think about it.

A cache might 'Need Maintenance' because the log is nearly full, but be 'Disabled' because the site is under construction.

I might maintain the cache (replace the log), but decide it would be best if finders did not attempt the cache until construction was completed.

I might drive by and notice construction has been completed, but maybe I am not prepared with a new log to replace the nearly full one. I could decide to enable the cache (construction is finished, it's safe to enter!), but the cache would still need maintenance since I was not prepared with a new log when I went by the site.

Just maybe, one of my fellow cacher would notice all this and go find the newly enabled cache, replace the log for me, and bring the old one by my house to give it to me!