question about mapsource and what is locked/unlocked

davethis

sorry if these questions have already been answered, I searched but did not find anything.

A few weeks ago we bought a Venture Cx for geocaching. If I were to buy the Topo 2008 map, on my computer can I import the gpx files that the unit generates while we are hiking, and be able to map where we hiked?

What is locked vs. unlocked garmin software? And what do I do with unlock codes? Last year we bought a StreetPilot and it came with an unlock code. What do I do with this code? It did not come with any mapping software so I am really not sure what I am suppose to do with this?

Thanks!!

Dave

If I were to buy the Topo 2008 map, on my computer can I import the gpx files that the unit generates while we are hiking, and be able to map where we hiked?

Yes, you can export tracks to mapping software on your computer.

What is locked vs. unlocked garmin software? And what do I do with unlock codes?

Locked software only allows you to use the software on 2 units (I hear it changed to one with the new releases). Unlocked software can run on as many units as you want. Mapsource Topo, Metroguide and Roads and Recreation (no longer available) are examples of unlocked software. City Navigator and City Select are locked. I'm not sure about Topo 2008.

It did not come with any mapping software so I am really not sure what I am suppose to do with this?

The StreetPilot came with the software already installed. I've heard that you can call Garmin and get the install disc. Then you could install the software on your Venture CX using the unlock code you received with your StreetPilot.