Did I get pooped on?

I just got the one on ebay that has blue ends and a silver wire and it will not work. B) I think it is the driver issue. Any help would be great!

I am running win XP

I hope its not the same one I just bought for a fellow cacher! B)

I didnt get mine on ebay, but it is a no-name brand...

Have you tried going to the manufacturers website and tried downloading the latest drivers?

Also, have you tried NOT using the drivers that came with the product, and letting XP try to detect the new hardware by itself?...Sometimes the generic XP drivers actually WORK!!..LOL

{Blue_stone waiting for moderator to move this thread to the appropriate forum...B)}

Edited by Blue_stone

I use the same type of cable. You gotta have the driver. Do a google for "usb to serial driver" and dig around some. I can't remember where I got mine last time I installed it, but I'll look this evening after I get home and see if I can find it again, if you don't find it first. I do remember last time I got it it was a really small file and I found it through google via some forums.

found it, try this one.

http://www.dvdr9.nl/driver.zip

Edited by BigNick73

I've had less than stellar performance with USB to serial cables. Here's another driver that might work, might not... http://www.mct.com.tw/

The serial adapter can be purchased from www.pfranc.com if the driver doesn't work with your hardware. Pfranc specializes in Garmin GPS connectivity, so their adapter and software should work well with a GPS. never tried it myself though. I use a PCMCIA card to add a serial port into my laptop instead.

We may have. It seems that there are a few cables out there that are not compatible with the garmin.

try THIS thread.

I think I have the same cable (blue ends, clear insulation with silver inside).

GPS works fine on my older work computer with a serial connection. But my home computer does not have a serial and I cannot get the usb to serial to work. I have a different usb to serial ordered and will report back on its functionality.

I have had good luck with the Belkins serial to USB adopter. Not that exspensive and should be able to find them at Wally World to Best Buy. I have run a Delorme Earthmate and Garmin GPS V with it.

Rick H

We may have. It seems that there are a few cables out there that are not compatible with the garmin.

try THIS thread.

I think I have the same cable (blue ends, clear insulation with silver inside).

GPS works fine on my older work computer with a serial connection. But my home computer does not have a serial and I cannot get the usb to serial to work. I have a different usb to serial ordered and will report back on its functionality.

Here's the secret that has worked for me in every installation of a serial to USB adapter I've done:

You must have the driver installed prior to plugging in the adapter, so insert the driver disk first. Go through the installation, accepting the defaults. When the installation is complete, plug in the adapter. If it's not immediately recognized, go to Device Manager and you'll likely find an etry under Other Devices for your adapter. If so, delete that device and either unplug and replug your adapter or click the Scan for New Devices icon.

This has never failed for me, with a wide variety of adapters.

I second the recommendation on Belkin. I have tried two, an F5U109 with a Legend and, currently, a F5U409 with a 76S. Both worked flawlessly. I bought the F5U109 new at CompUSA and got the F5U409 this week off of eBay. Both units take the same driver, available on the Belkin web site. CheshireFrog's advice is spot on - follow the instructions and install the driver before you plug in the device. Also, remember that, in spite of being plugged into the USB port, your application will still see it as a serial device.