Oh please, please, please

imajeep

Okay, I know this has been requested before, but Jeremy & Co., any chance of an upgrade to pocket queries to fetch more than the five most recent logs? It would be a great help to us paperless cachers who download our caches as we find them. Even ten logs would be great!

Download the GPX files one-at-a-time from each cache page and you will get the 20 most recent logs.

Actually, I've considered that, but then I've got to do individual downloads, which is a hassle for even a dozen caches. Then I've got to download the files individually to my GPSr, another hassle. As it stands now, I simply bookmark the caches I want to do, then PQ the bookmark list. Fast and easy!

What I'd really like is up to 20 logs, as with the GPX download, in a PQ, with the option to download fewer, for those who don't want that many.

Edited by imajeep
It's more fun to find the cache without any hints/logs! :D

Well, if I had 2,000 finds, I suppose I would feel the same way! :lol: But as lowly newbies to the sport, we(desperately) need all the help we can get!

Edited by imajeep

I feel your pain because I frequently have to look at Past Logs when I am out caching. One time it was the 12th Past Log in my Palm that gave us the hint enabling us to zero in on an elusive roadside cache we were looking for at midnight . . .

The most recent five logs should be enough as you build your database. When you update the database, the popular caches might have ten past logs within a week's time. :lol:

If you are updating your database in GSAK this way, remember to use the "Last .gpx update" date filter to remove the Archived caches which don't come in the PQs. :D

Okay, I know this has been requested before, but Jeremy & Co., any chance of an upgrade to pocket queries to fetch more than the five most recent logs? It would be a great help to us paperless cachers who download our caches as we find them. Even ten logs would be great!

I would like to 2nd that request. I am currently storing over 10,000 cache listing in my GSAK database. These are the caches within a 60 mile radius around my house and a 50 mile radius up in the Sierra Mountains. There is no way I am ever going to need all of them but it is the only way I can have the past logs I want. When I pick some caches to do I can get the logs from GSAK. When I found GCTT85 the 5th log said "It's about 100' further up the trail than geocache coords". The 6th log gave the corrected coordinates. If I didn't maintain a GSAK database I wouldn't have had the corrected coordinates in my Palm. If I could do a PQ for an area the night before I go caching and get all logs it would be a lot simpler. It would also be a much smaller demand on the system. Maybe a special PQ with 50 cache limit but all logs. This would count as one of your five a day. 50 caches with all logs instead of 500 caches with 5 logs. Please!

Check out the GSAK forums for Kai Team's "Addlogs Macro"

Kai Team wote this on the GSAK forum

The AddLogs macro is intended to permit cache owners to get a complete set of logs for the caches they own so that they can calculate statistics on their placed caches. It is a "fair use" of the gc.com site.

Abuses like running it on a cache with 5011 logs that you do not own is likely to draw the ire of geocaching.com. Please don't abuse the AddLogs macro, lest we ALL lose the ability to use it for its intended purpose. Abuse of the AddLogs macro could also get your IP address and geocaching.com account banned by geocaching.com if they interpret this excessive use as spidering (a violation of the gc.com Terms of Use).

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

It seems that this macro is not intended for this purpose. I still think it would work for geocaching.com and us if we could do a smaller PQ with all logs. That way there is no need to maintain a database of all caches you might ever even consider hunting. I think this would lower the demand on the servers.

If you keep building your offline database in GSAK, the Past Logs will accumulate and accumulate and accumulate.
Yes, you've pointed that out before, and that's fine if you do all your caching in one area. I like to throw a dart at a map and go spend the weekend caching there, so I don't have a chance to build up a database in such a painstaking way.

And, doggone it, TPTB have stated multiple times that they don't want us to try to maintain the data on our own. They have everything we need on the master databases in their servers, but it's not very useful if we cannot access it.

Well, if I had 2,000 finds, I suppose I would feel the same way! :D But as lowly newbies to the sport, we(desperately) need all the help we can get!

Well even with 3000 finds I still need all the help I can get.

I would vote for 10 logs or at least all the logs posted in the last 7 days

It is just amazing how often I see similar requests - always for the reason - addtional un-intended hints.

Just shocking how many caches I and others have found without those extra logs..... and with only needing the hint about 50% of the time.....

It is just amazing how often I see similar requests - always for the reason - additional un-intended hints.

Just shocking how many caches I and others have found without those extra logs..... and with only needing the hint about 50% of the time.....

It's hard for us to imagine that others play the game a different way. I am as guilty of that as any of you. I want to find the location and then I want to sign the log. If it takes hints and past finders logs, that's fine. I don't care if you think I am an incompetent wimp (my words, not yours). Now if we could only get the TB fans to stop wasting my precious very limited log space with a note saying: Dropping the TB I forgot to log. FORGOT? @##%%#(*&^$@@@!!!! Did they forget to delete their stupid useless note also? If we could get 10 logs/notes without GSAK, Potato Sack, or Cul-De-Sac it would be slightly less of an issue. Jeremy has said he is considering it. I wish I knew if the odds of getting this were 50/50, or better, or worse.

PS. I don't maintain an offline database. I don't need one (yes I know, "amazing"). I do keep copies of PQ's for awhile, and have reloaded a week old one already when GC.com was down.

If you keep building your offline database in GSAK, the Past Logs will accumulate and accumulate and accumulate. I finally had to put a limit on the number being Exported to Cachemate because some caches had too many . . . :D

That's one reason I've not jumped on the GSAK bandwagon. It just doesn't work like I'd like it to though it does do a lot of great things.

That said. I read the logs when I'm in the field. I would very much enjoy 10 logs or so on a PQ. The logs add to the cache experience. I especially love 10 DNF's in a row, especially when I find it.

Edited by Renegade Knight

...It's hard for us to imagine that others play the game a different way. I am as guilty of that as any of you. I want to find the location and then I want to sign the log. If it takes hints and past finders logs, that's fine. I don't care if you think I am an incompetent wimp (my words, not yours). Now if we could only get the TB fans to stop wasting my precious very limited log space with a note saying: Dropping the TB I forgot to log. FORGOT? @##%%#(*&^$@@@!!!! Did they forget to delete their stupid useless note also? If we could get 10 logs/notes without GSAK, Potato Sack, or Cul-De-Sac it would be slightly less of an issue. Jeremy has said he is considering it. I wish I knew if the odds of getting this were 50/50, or better, or worse.

PS. I don't maintain an offline database. I don't need one (yes I know, "amazing"). I do keep copies of PQ's for awhile, and have reloaded a week old one already when GC.com was down.

:D:D:DB):D

I guess "need" is the part of it that tugs at me the most.......

sorry if I offended you.

Edited by StarBrand

...It's hard for us to imagine that others play the game a different way. I am as guilty of that as any of you. I want to find the location and then I want to sign the log. If it takes hints and past finders logs, that's fine. I don't care if you think I am an incompetent wimp (my words, not yours). Now if we could only get the TB fans to stop wasting my precious very limited log space with a note saying: Dropping the TB I forgot to log. FORGOT? @##%%#(*&^$@@@!!!! Did they forget to delete their stupid useless note also? If we could get 10 logs/notes without GSAK, Potato Sack, or Cul-De-Sac it would be slightly less of an issue. Jeremy has said he is considering it. I wish I knew if the odds of getting this were 50/50, or better, or worse.

:D:D:DB):D

I guess "need" is the part of it that tugs at me the most.......

sorry if I offended you.

I was not offended. We are just discussing points of view. We all have different reasons for what we "need". I think it's good to share those reasons with others. Even if they don't agree at least I hope they understand. I feel better now that I shared my opinions. We did not bash each other and owe each other no apologies.

If you keep building your offline database in GSAK, the Past Logs will accumulate and accumulate and accumulate. I finally had to put a limit on the number being Exported to Cachemate because some caches had too many . . . :laughing:

If you want to purge out some of your logs at any stage go "Database=>Purge logs"

10072007101515.png