Mystery coins

Damenace

Last week when I checked my mail, I knew that there were no bills to pay and I didn't see any bubble mailers - so I put the mail aside, knowing I would eventually get around to sorting and shredding. I checked my mail yesterday and thought to myself "this is getting a bit out of hand"... so I sat down to sort through all of the mail.

What's this? I sent mail to myself! (did I mention my handwriting improved...) How long had that been there??? My mind ran through all of the coin trades - couldn't think of anything... I opened the package and there is was, I couldn't believe I was holding a MICKEY DIVER coin in my hand! Wow!! My second mystery coin! I immediately put it in my collection book (after doing the HAPPY DANCE...). What a way to start the week!!! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU so much for this wonderful surprise! I will cherish this coin!! ...and it has a very special place in my geocoin collection book!

I can not thank you enough! :( Thanks for making me feel so special and really making my day!!! I promise to check my mail more often going forward!!! :)

Mystery coins are for the true believers. :)

There are many true believers here for sure......

And sometimes it works... I still remember (oh, and how could I ever forget!) about the day the Geocoin Fairy dropped a coin in a cache in northern Germany. Too far away for me to get it, but I knew that I was passing by that cache in about 4 weeks on our way to the North Sea. 4 weeks :D But that cache was a cache that wasn't visited quite often, so I began to hope that nobody would go there... I watched the cache, and after 2 weeks I started to believe that the coin was dropped just for me and was sitting in the cache waiting for me :( I got more and more excited and started to plan how to search for the cache early in the morning on our trip in case the coin would be still there. Two days before our trip I asked my better-half to start our trip about 2 hours earlier just because of a coin that was waiting for me in a cache in Bremen. I was so excited I couldn't sleep! He wasn't happy about it, but finally agreed. It was a beautiful morning for a fairy, we searched for the cache, and there it was, waiting for me, my Geocoin Fairy Coin #201, waiting for me for 4 weeks :)

Yes, I am a true believer :)

what a great story and how very exciting for you.

rsg

Out of the kindness of someone's heart an anonymous person makes a coin, enlists some secret distributors and places them quietly into caches for people to find and trade for and keep. ;)

Nowadays, it's run a little different ~ they are mailed directly to people. :)

Out of the kindness of someone's heart an anonymous person makes a coin, enlists some secret distributors and places them quietly into caches for people to find and trade for and keep. :lol:

Nowadays, it's run a little different ~ they are mailed directly to people. :D

Thanks for the info! Was curious about the mechanics behind it all.

How would I be able to get coins like that mailed to me? Or is it like the people that make these mystery coins send them to their friends for distribution? Sorry if the question is kinda stupid.

How would I be able to get coins like that mailed to me? Or is it like the people that make these mystery coins send them to their friends for distribution? Sorry if the question is kinda stupid.

A lot of people here trade a lot so they accumulate addresses and there is also a public address book that can be used through gmail. I think sometimes the mystery person may even ask the recipient for an address too.

The basic answer to your question is yes. Unless the coin in question is dropped in a cache you can bet that it is distributed to "known" recipients. There is usually a distribution pattern also for the caches/areas they end up in. :lol:

Edited by Droo

Nowadays, it's run a little different ~ they are mailed directly to people. B)

The basic answer to your question is yes. Unless the coin in question is dropped in a cache you can bet that it is distributed to "known" recipients. There is usually a distribution pattern also for the caches/areas they end up in. ;)

The first 3 projects were done with 'helpers' dropping them into caches anonymously ~ the later projects you receive either by mail or at an event.

Mystery Coins I believe are either dropped in a cache or sent through the mail to a lucky person. I have never been lucky enough to find one or to receive one through the mail. The general Idea is that no one knows who they are from thus they are a mystery.

how do you win them from cointests?

The first 3 projects were done with 'helpers' dropping them into caches anonymously ~ the later projects you receive either by mail or at an event.

Okay, I give... What are "The first 3 projects" ??

2005 Secret Santa

2006 Geocoin Fairy

2007 Easter Bunny Eggs

Mystery Coins I believe are either dropped in a cache or sent through the mail to a lucky person. I have never been lucky enough to find one or to receive one through the mail. The general Idea is that no one knows who they are from thus they are a mystery.

I am giving a mysteriecoin away, i don't have the feeling that i am holding a cointest. :rolleyes:

My forumpost most have a name so they put cointest for my line: receive your first mysteriecoin.

I am blessed with the Dark Knight mysteriecoin, i will give away this mysteriecoin to the lucky one i draw.

The Dark Knight himself has gifted me with this beautiful coin and i am going to give it to the lucky one i draw.

But it stays a gift from the dark knight, the dark knight has make this coins and give them away, i only pas the coin through.

So it is a gift from the dark knight.

I am giving a mysteriecoin away, i don't have the feeling that i am holding a cointest. :rolleyes:

My forumpost most have a name so they put cointest for my line: receive your first mysteriecoin.

When you offer to give something away to a lucky poster, by using a random number draw, it becomes a cointest. That is why "COINTEST" was added to your thread title.

I believe I'm getting addicted to geocoins and mystery coins intrigue me very much! Thanks for all the information in this thread.

Had the pleasure of meeting and working with alien88 yesterday at a festival, THANKS for the help my friend!! I only had one of my mystery coins (Leprachaun Pot-o-Gold) with me and I'm glad you were able to see it, also happy to have shared my Moun10Bike coin with you! Great job working the crowds, you did wonderfully!

Mystery coins are probably the funnest (is that a word??) coins to find/receive...the mystery behind them make them unique and special IMHO!

So, this thread started way back when, but was there ever a full and definitive list of "mystery" coins?

Depends what you consider a mystery coin. The idea has kinda morphed. Some are vendor gifts, some are put into caches, others are mailed to people.

Secret Santa

Serial Finder

Coinfusion (kinda :D )

Geocoin Fairy (gold)

Coins and Pins Xmas coin ~ snowflake

Oakcoins Msystery Xmas coin ~ ammo can \ present

Easter Geocoin Bunny

Crappy Cache Award

The Shadown (ISQ caches)

Pay It Forward

Mouth of the South

Geocoin Secret Agent

Don't Fence Me In

Mickey Diver and Koi

Great Geo-pumpkin

Creepy Crawly Cachers

Bitten by the GO Bug

Mystery Sharpie Customizable Banned from the Forums Metal Slug

Xmas Stocking

Holiday Gnome

Wishing Well

Geo Leprechaun

Goofy

Geocaching Jedi

Dark Knight

Imagine

GeoDevil

Geocache Bandit

I am missing a couple, and a couple others I am not sure if they are msytery coins or not... would depend on the definition.

So, this thread started way back when, but was there ever a full and definitive list of "mystery" coins?

Depends what you consider a mystery coin. The idea has kinda morphed. Some are vendor gifts, some are put into caches, others are mailed to people.

Secret Santa

Serial Finder

Geocoin Fairy (gold)

Easter Geocoin Bunny

Crappy Cache Award

The Shadown (ISQ caches)

Pay It Forward

Mouth of the South

Geocoin Secret Agent

Don't Fence Me In

Mickey Diver and Koi

Great Geo-pumpkin

Creepy Crawly Cachers

Bitten by the GO Bug

Xmas Stocking

Holiday Gnome

Wishing Well

Geo Leprechaun

Goofy

Geocaching Jedi

Dark Knight

Imagine

GeoDevil

Geocache Bandit

I am missing a couple, and a couple others I am not sure if they are msytery coins or not... would depend on the definition.

why is the Coinfusion (kinda ) 'kinda'??

the ammo can present is a mystery coin? cool, who made it? LOL!

lara

Secret Santa

Serial Finder

Geocoin Fairy (gold)

Easter Geocoin Bunny

Crappy Cache Award

The Shadown (ISQ caches)

Pay It Forward

Mouth of the South

Geocoin Secret Agent

Don't Fence Me In

Mickey Diver and Koi

Great Geo-pumpkin

Creepy Crawly Cachers

Bitten by the GO Bug

Xmas Stocking

Holiday Gnome

Wishing Well

Geo Leprechaun

Goofy

Geocaching Jedi

Dark Knight

Imagine

GeoDevil

Geocache Bandit

There was also a really cool blue glow guitar that I know a few people got. B)

Secret Santa

Serial Finder

Coinfusion (kinda :) )

Geocoin Fairy (gold)

Easter Geocoin Bunny

Crappy Cache Award

The Shadown (ISQ caches)

Pay It Forward

Mouth of the South

Geocoin Secret Agent

Don't Fence Me In

Mickey Diver and Koi

Great Geo-pumpkin

Creepy Crawly Cachers

Bitten by the GO Bug

Xmas Stocking

Holiday Gnome

Wishing Well

Geo Leprechaun

Goofy

Geocaching Jedi

Dark Knight

Imagine

GeoDevil

Geocache Bandit

why is the Coinfusion (kinda ) 'kinda'??

the ammo can present is a mystery coin? cool, who made it? LOL!

lara

Coinfusion ~ because the cat was let out of the bag before they were even available. They were only available via trades and you had to supposedly 'know' where to obtain them.

Ammo Can present ~ was sold much like the Halloween compass rose, you had no idea what you were buying until it arrived. It was a mystery.

With so many mystery coins out there, it looks like they are replacing personal coins. :grin:

okay, so i have read about, heard about, and seen these MYSTERY geocoins here at the forums for quite some time now, but i still don't know much more about them. i've searched the archives for more information but i haven't found much. can others that are more familiar with mystery geocoins share their knowledge here or post a link to an appropiate forum thread? i'd like to know all about how they started, what their purpose is, do's and dont's regarding them, and any other interesting details or stories that can be shared about mystery geocoins. thanks for your informative replies. inquiring minds need to know! :(

There isn't a lot of information because it is a mystery. To much info and the mystery can be solved. Much more fun not knowing.

The first rule of Mystery Coins..... just enjoy and leave it a mystery.

I think this is a good topic. I think he is looking for a little history, and some cool stories.

I'll have to think about this...but right now I'm watching football! :(

maybe i should share what little i know about mystery geocoins, and you all can decide whether to chime in...or not.

i understand the basic idea is that these geocoins are "given" away to various geocachers by "unknown" producers for various "unknown" reasons that may or may not be revealed to the recipient. i can understand not wanting to give away any spoiler details. what about sharing some very brief info on these, such as: what was the 1st mystery geocoin produced? are they trackable? is selling them appropriate? are they to be kept or passed on to others? i'm just curious about the general idea and etiquette, not the specific details or anything that would spoil the MYSTERY. :(

Well, I have been lucky enough to be the recipient of two mystery coins directly from the mystery giver and one from a dear friend. One is trackable and the other two are numbered (but not trackable).......

I admire the givers because (in my opinion) they mint these coins and give them away to make people happy and not for any personal gain. When I got my first mystery coin I felt like a little girl on Christmas morning :( I still have NO idea who they are, but THANK YOU!

Hello Dave! :) How are you my friend?

Hmm... good questions!! I have no idea which GC was the first mystery!

The majority of the mystery coins are not trackable (but numbered), but some are!! Ok.... I know only one, the Geocoin Secret Agent Geocoin but maybe there are others too!

These coins are not to be sold! It is not right to do that! many times, the coin has a small note that is saying that you are allowed to trade it, keep it, put it in a cahce for someone else, give it as a present to someone but not to seel it! The mystery coiners spend money and time to make these coins and give them for free, to make us happy! It is not wright to sell them and they do not like that too!

In some special cases, cachers are taking special permision to sell a coin for a special reason! what I mean special reason??? If a cacher is facing a problem (illnes.... etc) and with the money of the coin will help him, or if the money will go to a charity or to help people who suffer like Haiti now... But first you have to get the ok from the Mystery cointers!!! Sometimes, the notes I was talking about, say to post in the forum in a special thread that you got the coin, or they have an email (you can not see the real name of the sender of course), so you can communicate with them or... just search in the members list! :)

They are all great, kind and generous people so... :huh:

It is good not to spoil the mystery, yes! Even if.... your mind goes to someone, even if the handwriting or the way of the mystery coiner is writing and the word he/she uses... do not go far with it! After all, if they wanted us to know who they are.... the coins wouldn't be mystery ones! :(

Stamps on the envelopes are not a clue for most of them!!! Some mystery coiners send the coin or the letter to someone else to post it....

A mystery must stay mystery.... and secrets must be kept secrets! :D

there are many reasons why you may get one of these great coins!!! sometimes it is writen in a letter, or on the coin.... :o Receiving a mystery coin is something sooooo great!!! It really shows friendship and feeling others have for you.... even if you do not know them... and that's even greater! :D

I do not know if I gave too many things... I hope mystery coiners will not be mad at me! :D

...and I hope I helped a little my friend! :(

In case you haven't received one yet, I hope you will very soon! you will understand me and how I feel when I see a letter and the sender is... me! :(

Oh!! something else.... Mystery coiners have a unique way to find addresses etc!!! There are cachers who are not in the address list but they received mystery coins!!! Magic!!! Magic my friend! :D

Every mystery coin is unique and carries a great message!!! I was blessed and... :(