Mystery coins

Damenace

Some nurses DO forget that they were EVER students! And, no offense, since I am an RN, RN's are really bad about it. They think the only way to learn is to let the students mess something up. That's not right, by any means. But I have seen it too many times. Their defense is, that it is a lesson the students will never forgot, so therefore, they will never make that mistake again. That's not the way to teach our upcoming nurses!! guide them with gentleness and kindness, and that is what they will share with their patients!!

Back to the forum, welcome, and I hope you make many friends here! Mystery coins will come, you never know when, or from whom, but they will come. Maybe not to everybody, but to everybody that visits the forums and reads about them, they feel that they've received some joy, too!! (Just my opinion!! lol)

Mystery coins are for the true believers. ;)

Methinks there's a 'new' Fairy in town. :):D

OOoooooooooo - I think you might be correct. Hello Ms The Coin Dropping Fairy. :)

It is very Awesome to have "fairy" in your name :D

What are you suggesting? :D

Shall I change mine to 'fairykeewee' ROTF :) MAO

There is The Phantom Cacher Coin

Geocoins015.jpg

That is a cool coin that I would love to have. Does this mystery coin still show up from time to time or is it from the past?

I see that there is one still at a cache area in Missouri that no one has said that they have found yet. If it was closer, I'd go try and find it. They are sometimes hard to find cause he don't leave them in the cache but hides them near it and leaves you clues on how to get there.

Looked for the answer to his in other posts and could not find it, so I will probably take some grief over asking this, but how does one go about getting one of these mystery coins are they sent to you or are they in caches. If they are sent where do they get your address?

Edited by North Fork Seekers

Looked for the answer to his in other posts and could not find it, so I will probably take some grief over asking this, but how does one go about getting one of these mystery coins are they sent to you or are they in caches. If they are sent where do they get your address?

To answer your question both ways....

there is an address book thread here

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=175199&hl=

look on last page of thread it will tell you who you need to contact to get set up :D

What are you suggesting?

Shall I change mine to 'fairykeewee' ROTF MAO

No, how about something like "weeFairyknee" :D:D:P

You silly rabbit, I was talking about the new guy :D !

Man - it took me ages to find this thread again after it was merged!

DANG! Was going to get the team mascot and throw a tutu and fairy wand on him to create the fairykeewee... but with having a son not a daughter we don't have a dollish sized tutu or a fairy wand in the house!! Back to the drawing board! :D

Has anyone kept track yet of how many mystery coins have shown up for 2008?

So far I've only heard of the dark knight, and I think I heard of a new Leprechaun one but I'm not sure? anyone else?

edit: oh yeah, and the new goofy one too:)

Edited by Nochipra

Pardon my ignorance, but I have a question or two about mystery coins. Trying to follow some of the treads has lead to more questions than answers, as sometimes the forums can be overwelming and a bit hard to navigate through.

1.) Are these coins trackable? I see many or most are numbered

2.) Are these coins from individuals you've met or coin sites you've ordered from?

(They had to get your address somehow, it's a ligit question)

3.) I've got an idea for a mystery coin, will any of the manufactures be suitable to have them minted?

...Or if I decide not to mint, will they use my idea themselves in the future?

I realize these coins are highly sought after and seldom sold or traded, and I'd like to be on the side of 'spreading the joy' everyone seems to get by recieving these. However I need someone to point me in the direction of how these coins get distributed, or how to obtain ones addy without the knowlege of the recipient.

A PM or email will be fine if you don't wish to tell the secret of this mystery! :anibad:

Pardon my ignorance, but I have a question or two about mystery coins. Trying to follow some of the treads has lead to more questions than answers, as sometimes the forums can be overwelming and a bit hard to navigate through.

2.) Are these coins from individuals you've met or coin sites you've ordered from?

3.) I've got an idea for a mystery coin, will any of the manufactures be suitable to have them minted?

I realize these coins are highly sought after and seldom sold or traded, and I'd like to be on the side of 'spreading the joy' everyone seems to get by recieving these. However I need someone to point me in the direction of how these coins get distributed, or how to obtain ones addy without the knowlege of the recipient.

A PM or email will be fine if you don't wish to tell the secret of this mystery! :D

WELCOME ! ! !

It sounds as if you have a great heart about you :D I think that you could make your "mystery" coin trackable But it cost more. The thing about it is that you mustn't tell us your idea or we will know who you are . . .Then it wouldn't be a mystery :anibad::D

Y

A PM or email will be fine if you don't wish to tell the secret of this mystery! :anibad:

I will try to answer some of your questions so here goes.

For the most part I have no idea who the mystery coin persons are. They cover their tracks very well down to smudged postmarks and how they manage that I have no idea! I could guess at some of the real identities but who knows if I am right or not. I would guess that most of the coins are made nontrackable because of the cost and most who have them wouldn't send them traveling anyway.

How they get the addresses. Well I do have a spread sheet with the peoples addresses I have traded with so the mystery coiners could do that. Also there is an online address book for cachers. Also someone could email the recipient to ask for their address or even ask a friend of the recipient.

How are they delivered Well at events I've heard of them being dropped into backpacks, found in envelopes and other similar things. I have heard of them coming in the mail and also being dropped in caches for the next lucky finder.

I agree with FairyHoney too. If you really want to do a mystery coin don't give us your ideas!! Then it wouldn't be a mystery! I think most coin companies would keep your secret as would a desiger if you hire one for the artwork.

I hope that your creation does come into being as the smiles they bring to everyone is absolutely wonderful. I love reading the stories of how they are found and people's reactions!!

ok, I've got another question...

I've read several cachers mentioning finding mystery coins in caches.

If they are not trackable, how does one know they are in a cache?

Is it something found by pure dumb luck? does the mystery person leave a log stating it has been placed in a cache?

ok, so I had a few questions... :laughing:

ok, I've got another question...

I've read several cachers mentioning finding mystery coins in caches.

If they are not trackable, how does one know they are in a cache?

Is it something found by pure dumb luck? does the mystery person leave a log stating it has been placed in a cache?

ok, so I had a few questions... :D

Sometimes the mystery coiners log a find on a cache and mention that they dropped a coin there, and other times it is just luck that you happen to find a mystery coin in a cache. :laughing:

As not to start a new topic I dug this one up to ask a question. I know that there are many mystery coins out there how many of the mystery coins are solely dropped in caches? I know many of them are unexpectedly mailed which is awesome but I wanted to know how many besides the Geo Leprechaun and Secret Agent still get a chance to get out and cache? Thanks!

Mystery coins are for the true believers. ;)

There are many true believers here for sure......

And sometimes it works... I still remember (oh, and how could I ever forget!) about the day the Geocoin Fairy dropped a coin in a cache in northern Germany. Too far away for me to get it, but I knew that I was passing by that cache in about 4 weeks on our way to the North Sea. 4 weeks :lol: But that cache was a cache that wasn't visited quite often, so I began to hope that nobody would go there... I watched the cache, and after 2 weeks I started to believe that the coin was dropped just for me and was sitting in the cache waiting for me :lol: I got more and more excited and started to plan how to search for the cache early in the morning on our trip in case the coin would be still there. Two days before our trip I asked my better-half to start our trip about 2 hours earlier just because of a coin that was waiting for me in a cache in Bremen. I was so excited I couldn't sleep! He wasn't happy about it, but finally agreed. It was a beautiful morning for a fairy, we searched for the cache, and there it was, waiting for me, my Geocoin Fairy Coin #201, waiting for me for 4 weeks :o

Yes, I am a true believer :rolleyes:

I came to this thread after not being in the forums for quite a while, because I was wondering about the mystery Goofy coins. My sons each found one independently at GW6, one on the ground and one near one of the kids' letterboxes at the event. We're wondering who Goofy is... These are pretty nifty coins. :)

I was also a lucky recipient of a Geocaching Bug coin, which is pretty neat.

I came to this thread after not being in the forums for quite a while, because I was wondering about the mystery Goofy coins. My sons each found one independently at GW6, one on the ground and one near one of the kids' letterboxes at the event. We're wondering who Goofy is... These are pretty nifty coins. ;)

I was also a lucky recipient of a Geocaching Bug coin, which is pretty neat.

Congratulations. There is an entire thread dedicated to the Goofy mystery geocoin and those who have received it. Do a search on Goofy and you should find it - there can't be many threads with that term in them... :)

Ok, I have not been here in the forums that long. What the heck is a mystery coin? And how can I get one?

Sorry if these have been answered in this thread alread, but 5 pages worth of reading started to put me to sleep. But from what I did read, I really want a mystery coin or 2...or more.

A mystery coin is just that...a mystery. I have no idea how to get one...or how one is chosen to recieve one besides faith, hope....and good luck.

You can find them in caches, you can get them in mailboxes, you can recieve them mysteriously at events.

They are usually non trackable and carry a special meaning...meant to be cherished and not sold.