Disturbing night in Puyallup.

mudsneaker

mudsneaker posted a note for Puyallup's Things That Go Bump in the Night (Unknown Cache)

We found a LARGE amount of blood midway through this cache tonite. After a brief search of the area to see if we could find anything, we called the police who also felt it was very suspicious. Several LEO's and a dog was used in the search but nothing was found after 2 hours or so. Theres a main pool of it, plus many large spots dripped in the area including up about head high on some leaves. No signs of a bike wreck or animal kill at all.

This is no joke when I say this was a very disturbing scene. I was up there with the police for quite some time trying to come up with any explaination, and nothing added up other that something bad happened here.

In the end a seargent was called in who decided it wasn't blood. I have to disagree or at least would like any possible alternative. Its all over and nothing makes sense from what I saw. A major mystery that I would love to have answers to.

*its at the point you have to drop down the steep hill. Use caution in this area for awhile is my best advice. I feel it is likely an isolated incident, but after seeing what I saw, theres no way I'd go back without some form of protection just to be safe.

If anyone hears of anything in the future, please let me know so I can have some closure to this.

-------------------------------------------------------

Its 1:45 am, and am finally home and exhausted. If anyone hears of anything, please let me know. Its just not right what I saw up there tonite and would love to have an explaination just to set my mind at ease.

Every scene in woods tells a story. Disturbed ground, leaves, turned rocks, broken/crushed plants, turned leaves, etc. You can read what has happened if you really stop to examine an area.

Mainly through eliminating other possibilities its seem certain this was some form of human violence/accident/prank. No way was it related to an animal. But several things just don't add up so its hard to nail down what happened for sure. They contacted the hospital while we were up there, and the only serious trama to come in last night was a teenager who got hit with a bottle on the head. There was no glass or other signs of drinking around, but its possible that could have been it.

It didn't smell like paint. But one officert pointed out if it was blood, it should have soaked into the ground more. I just don't know what to think at this point.

You might try calling the non-emergency number for Puyallup police in a few days for an "update." They may, or may not, share information, but its worth a few minutes of your time to try.

Frankly, I would have pee'd my pants if I had come across that scene in the middle of the night.

Sarah

WATreasureHunters

I was there and let me tell you - I almost did pee my pants. Night caches are scarey enough but when your flashlight hits blood... it's a whole different kind of fear. Mudneaker and OhJoy! stayed to investigate and I was faced with choice a) stay with the fresh blood pools in the middle of the woods or B) run out down the dark paths by myself (which was pointed out to me is how all the stupid people die in the horror flicks).

Did they not take a sample??

Yeah, wouldn't the police do that to determine if there's foul play? Hmmm.

Scary story, and may beat our tale of getting shot at today near a cache on Pilchuck. Yeah, we were plenty scared, too! B)B) (We = me, cache ahead, MarcusArelius)

Edited by hydnsek

no sample was taken that I know of. We asked about that and the canine officer claimed it would be to expensive. We just felt like he was brushing us off once the decision was made by thier seargent to leave.

We had no choice but to head home and wonder why they would not at least take a sample just to be sure. But to be fair as well, I left the scene before the seargent showed up. So perhaps they did and just didnt want to say so when they got back to the parking lot.

After reading this, then being reminded of the Amber Alert, perhaps you should alert the news?

What do you have to lose?

Alert them to what? Possible blood pools that may or may not be blood? They'll check their sources and consider you unreliable for anything else. If the police don't think its blood, what proof do you have to believe otherwise? What chemical analysis have you done to prove otherwise?

Folks, blood has a distinct odor and is noticeable when in large amounts. It will also attract flies and other insects as it is a food source... protein. Was there any to support your fears?

it was night, so only had flashlight to look around. It had a jelly-like consistency, with some seperation. I didn't smell it to check, but was close enough if something had been strong like paint. I honestly cannot say for certain what it was.

The amount of drying indicated to me it had happened recently, maybe 2-3 hrs before. So I can't say if insects should have been there yet.

It was definetly meant to look like blood and that something had been seriously wounded there. This wasn't simply something poured out of a container on a walking trail. I've killed and dressed out enough deer to know it could be blood, but it may not have been obviously, or the police would have not stopped searching after 2 hours.

Folks, blood has a distinct odor and is noticeable when in large amounts. It will also attract flies and other insects as it is a food source... protein. Was there any to support your fears?

My thought as well as I had read through the thread until I made it to TL's post... was there a smell?

As TL has mentioned, blood has a very distinct odor. If the vast quantities of whatever you saw was blood, it would definitely smell in some capacity.

Fo sho.

michelle

After reading this, then being reminded of the Amber Alert, perhaps you should alert the news?

What do you have to lose?

Alert them to what?

Well, the posting mentioned blood, the cops showed up then blew them off basically. Then Marcus Arelius reminded us about the Amber Alert for the missing Tacoma girl. I was giving a suggestion to contact KING 5's tip line. Let Lori Matsukawa from channel 5 do the quizzing of the police about it.

To me, it sounds suspicious that a red substance was found near a cache with a name like "Things That Go Bump In The Night". Yes, blood has a distinct look and smell to it.

This sounds a bit too Halloweenish.

it was night, so only had flashlight to look around. It had a jelly-like consistency, with some seperation. I didn't smell it to check, but was close enough if something had been strong like paint. I honestly cannot say for certain what it was.

The amount of drying indicated to me it had happened recently, maybe 2-3 hrs before. So I can't say if insects should have been there yet.

It was definetly meant to look like blood and that something had been seriously wounded there. This wasn't simply something poured out of a container on a walking trail. I've killed and dressed out enough deer to know it could be blood, but it may not have been obviously, or the police would have not stopped searching after 2 hours.

My piont was raised because you have an alarmist in this thread talking about contacting the media as if the police didn't know how to conduct an investigation and add two and two together. There are other things that are odorless and will coagulate like blood. The keyword halloweenish is probably right on target. It sounds like a creative cache to me. There is a hint in the description that indicates you might not like what you see.

Not a chance anyone could have known we were going there. It was an impromptu stop after having dinner o a cache that is rarely looked for.

Again, if you read the post the police thought it was real enough to bring in a dog and search for 2+ hours.

I'm not here to debate the issue since it its all speculation. I know what we all saw there, and it was as real as it gets as far as I'm concerned. No, I wont be calling media over it. The cops know its there and its thier job the decide its importance.

The word is out that something is wrong at that location and cachers know to be cautious. Thats my main concern. If any Puyallup area folks hear of anything more, I'd appreciate an update so I can at least know what happened for sure.

It would make sense all right. I'm going to try calling the number tommorrow and see if I can find out anything more about where they filmed at.

Thanks TL for spotting that, It would fit in to everything we saw up there.

Good research TL! But if you belive the article the police should have known about the spot

Locations were scouted and auditions were held. The two spent $200 on liability insurance, contacted police to let them know where and when they would film, and posted fliers to make neighbors aware of roaming zombies.

ok, I got through to Katie Ross, who is named as part of the production of the film. She confirmed they shot the last scenes Thur/Fri in that area.

So mystery solved for sure, and a good ending to a very scary scene we came across. She said usually they cleaned up the mess, but of course the one time they didn't we find it. Alls well that ends well.

It would make sense all right. I'm going to try calling the number tommorrow and see if I can find out anything more about where they filmed at.

Thanks TL for spotting that, It would fit in to everything we saw up there.

Good research TL! But if you belive the article the police should have known about the spot

Locations were scouted and auditions were held. The two spent $200 on liability insurance, contacted police to let them know where and when they would film, and posted fliers to make neighbors aware of roaming zombies.

Basing my response on MS's post above, it would seem they (the police) can't make that assumption once reported even knowing previous events. That being said, it will bias how they investigate.

Might be a good place to put a cache, if it's not too close to the other one. Call it something like 'And they found blood' - Ooooo, scary.

My guess is its probably water soluble and will wash away in a good storm. Most fake blood these days is made of corn syrup or neutral jello with dye added for effect. Some of it may even have a minty or cinammon flavor.

Halloween%201994.jpg

I'm really glad this turned out all right. BTW, fake blood isn't just for Halloween.

We added some victims to an evacuation drill a couple of years ago. The victims had "moulage" wounds applied and mixed in when the people came out of the buildings. My acting may have been a little over the top. I heard a woman on the phone after I came out assuming she was calling the drill command post. Nope... soon sirens come a blazen, it was the 911 operator she was talking to. They haven't ask me to volunteer since :) .

Here we are before the drill

ecc2f753-a555-4115-9191-106f35648698.jpg

Here I am after getting simulated treatment

12071d19-a135-4f1c-a43a-c8933ffde091.jpg

And here is what I normally look like :o

Edited by MarcusArelius

I did my first moulage last summer for my daughter at the Kirkland pool when the life guards did their annual event to practice their trade in competition. The gal that was supposed to be doing it with me backed off and let me do most of the injuries. The cuts, scrapes and bruises were so realistic I received comments on it all day. I'll have to post pictures of that day.

Edited by TotemLake

Some of the most fun moulage is spurting blood and imbedded objects. A few years ago I attended a seminar on how to make you own strap on moulage. It's great fun for First Aid finals... Good acting is really a requirement, you don't know what a real scene is like until someone screams when you do something "wrong".