Finding all the Caches in your immediate area

10 miles from me includes over 1000 caches, so no, I haven't found them all. As of this last January I had cleared out a 3 mile radius. Now there are over 20 unfound in that 3 miles. Many of those I'm in no hurry to get, or I would have by now. I guess you could say some of the recent hides seem less than inspiring.

I almost had it, then a small flood of new ones kept the count at about 50, but then I 'slipped' and let it get away from me. There are currently 149 unfound within 10 miles of home - 1 within 5 miles, and 20 are unsolved puzzles (this is out of 642 caches within 10 miles). I don't think I'll ever get there now...

You have HOW many near you!! <falling off chair>

Withen 14km of home there are 31 in total! 1 of which I placed and 4 are still 'new' (1 appeared tonight). Of these I only have 11 to find.

Have spent most of this week working a multi, yes I got wp1 eventualy on the second visit, 2 visits to get wp2 and am stuck on wp3 having only visited once so far.

I haven't been in a rush to clean out my near to home list because I figure if I have time to do a cache further afield I might as well leave the close to home ones for when I have less time and want to go and find one because I haven't been out for awhile.

If I had that many it would be like which cache do I feel like finding today. You could go for a walk to a randome point turn the gps on and go oh look surprise there is a cache near by lets find it. Sorry if this seems over the top but I am still have trouble working out how you can fit that many caches in such a small area.

There are 25 caches within 10 miles of my home. 1 unfound. 6 owned.

Let's bump this out to 50 miles. 173 caches. 31 unfound.

As a side note, I looked at my GSAK--it also shows unique caches from other sites--there are 244 with 64 remaining to be found.

Edited by CoyoteRed

As Team Crime Scene mentioned, we have quite a few around here but not superdense. Can't go very far west without diving gear :rolleyes: .

I expect over time, we'll find a lot of them but two factors come in to play for us.

1) we're in no hurry, just havin' fun

2) we're a little spoiled by some of the local hiders and their good hides (TCS being on that list) so there will be quite a few we won't look for :blink:

Still plenty of action for us so it's all good. Soon we'll contributing to that as well.

10 miles from me includes over 1000 caches

:rolleyes:

There are 12 caches within a 16km (10mile) radius of my home, four of which are mine.

And yes, I have found the other eight.

Over 1000!! - goes off muttering . . .

I think I'm going to go off and join you muttering on this one...

There are a whopping 5 within 16km of my house.

One we placed.

One we found.

One we dnf but plan to go back.

One is listed in bad condition, so we won't go look for that until it's undergone maintenance,

and one that we can't take the baby to and need to find a sitter for, but it is definitely on our "to do" list!

I've found all 160 excepting a couple where I was present when the cache was hidden and one in the cacher's yard. Those I'll never find.

There were 5 caches in the same area when I started caching. And there have been a few, including the one that was nearest my home when we started that I've never hunted because I wasn't interested in the area. It's since been archived.

I'm not interested in "clearing out" an area. Most of the 10 miles around me is state forest so I mostly enjoy those hunts. If another hide shows up at the gas station on the corner, I'll likely never hunt it.

There isn't any within 10 miles of me. :rolleyes:

There is 11 within 20 miles but one of them is for members only. I have found all but 2 of the others. But I have only just started in on the game. Hopefully I will be able to get more added once I have got my car going again. (computers make for good gas milage in cars but make it a pain to fix)

John Z. Doe

Not me, there are 1041 caches within 10 miles of my house, some are puzzles which I really have trouble with doing.

Also 10 - 20 new caches get hiddin a week within 10 miles of my house.

I like to cache in other areas a lot, so I do not think I will find all the caches within 10 miles of my house.

I have never been a "radius slave" so I have never even checked to see how many caches I have within 10 miles of my house before. There are only 65 non-Puzzle caches. I don't know how many Puzzles 'cause those aren't in my database. :rolleyes:

That is actually a doable number, if I cared to "clear the area" :blink:

Oh . . . I guess I did turn into the cache placer for the area. I just checked and have 93 . . . :D

Edited by Miragee

I have 4 caches left to find of the 75 caches within 5 miles of my house.

I have 134 caches left to find of the 432 caches within 10 miles of my house.

I have 663 caches left to find of the 1825 caches within 20 miles of my house.

I have 16 more to find within 5 miles of my house;

I have 46 more to find within 10 miles of my house; and

I have 265 more to find within 20 miles of my house.

As a side note, I looked at my GSAK--it also shows unique caches from other sites--there are 244 with 64 remaining to be found.

If I bump out mine to 50 miles, then I still have 1053 unfound caches.

60 caches are within 11 miles of my house. Of those, 27 are mine, 9 are undone. 6 of those 9 are puzzles and I'm not good at those, 3 will be found soon!

Those numbers MIGHT not be accurate as I ddin't check my ignore list which has some other puzzles I just plain gave up on!

Within 15 miles: 113 total, 47 are mine, 3 or so are disabled (for awhile now), 13 are puzzles and 7 are unfound (plus the puzzles).

I have never been a "radius slave" so I have never even checked to see how many caches I have within 10 miles of my house before.
I hadn't checked 10 miles until last night. I see 5 miles everytime I look at the nearest caches to my home coords. After reading this thread it is interesting to see the difference in cache densities in different areas. When I started there were only 2-3 caches within 5 miles of my home and ~20 within 10 miles of my home. Now there are ~40x that many. Pretty amazing... :rolleyes:

If I bump out mine to 50 miles, then I still have 1053 unfound caches.

Interesting! If I look at my nearest caches and go to the last page (50 miles out) there are 5542 caches within 50 miles of my home coords. I still need to find 4,226 of those.... :rolleyes: Edited by TrailGators

At one time, back in March 2003, I proudly logged a cache and said I had cleared out my ten mile radius and the 50 caches closest to my home. Having accomplished that goal once, I had no desire to keep a radius cleaned, so I never looked back. In fact, my average cache find is well over 400 miles away from my home coordinates. I can drive past caches every day during my commute and not think twice about it, but I dream about my next geo-vacation to some cool and distant place like Seattle.

I just checked for the first time in ages, and there are 208 caches in my 10 mile radius instead of the 50 which existed four years ago. Of those, I own 18, and 43 are on my unfound list. That list includes lots of puzzles, which I don't like. Why find a cache that is not the type I enjoy finding, just because it's close, when I can travel a bit farther away and have a nice hike in a state park, or get stumped by an evil micro?

Cleared out radius...snort snicker... :lol:

Nope, never gonna happen here it's too active.

I've got 20 within 2.6 miles alone to find, but one is an old event that should be archived, another is an annoying micro that I DNF'd when it was first placed, and no one has found in 15 months, and another is a 5/3/5 puzzle that's been out since November with no finds (and I'll probably never even attempt.

Going out to 10 miles gives me 83 to look for, but two of those are the bogus locations of 20+ stage series hides. I'll probably get them someday as I do have most of the beginning and intermediate stages already found, but my fantastic record keeping means I'll need to ask the owner for the clues that were in those previously found stages to calculate the owner.

My 100 mile search is almost 1600.

To spin it another way, as recently as a year ago, my nearest 500 unfound PQ used to reach almost 30 miles, now it's not even 18 miles out.

Nope, never gonna clear any radii around here, but I'll never run out of caches to look for either. :D And when a search isn't fun anylonger, I can just call 'time' and go look for another one.

I was out to 20 miles a couple of months ago, then a bunch of new caches sprang up. I now have 2 left to find within 10 miles that do not involve going onto private property or passing "No Trespassing" signs. Unfortunately, there are about 20 of those that I've added to my ignore list. I'll probably go look for the 2 remaining legal ones today though. :D

I was out to 20 miles a couple of months ago, then a bunch of new caches sprang up. I now have 2 left to find within 10 miles that do not involve going onto private property or passing "No Trespassing" signs. Unfortunately, there are about 20 of those that I've added to my ignore list. I'll probably go look for the 2 remaining legal ones today though. :D
Can you please share your ignore list with me? I prefer to completely avoid caches like that too... :lol:

15 caches within 13.2 miles of home, 3 of them are mine. Found or own all of them.

In the last 2 years I've found caches in 11 states(and D.C.). Last year I found a cache within 200 feet of the Atlantic Ocean (Florida) and several within 100 feet of the Pacific in Oregon.

I have 6 more caches hidden in the 15 to 50 mile range from home.

Currently working on meeting the log requirements for an Earthcache. Glad they didn't get shuttled off to Waymarking.com like many (but not all) of the Virtuals did.

Quill and I had a great time going to breakfast at Tweede's and then hiking through the tunnel to find the Project APE cache last month (Fathers Day).

Tom Fuller

(tomfuller & Quill)

It's been rough keeping up with all the finds :D ,but I've found all 16 of the caches within 10 miles of my home coords. Here's a list that shows my breakdown by distance.

<10 miles, 16 caches, 0.92 %

10 - 20 miles, 41 caches, 2.36 %

20 - 30 miles, 72 caches, 4.15 %

30 - 40 miles, 234 caches, 13.4 %

40 - 50 miles, 498 caches, 28.7 %

50 - 100 miles, 446 caches,25.7 %

100 - 200 miles, 181 caches, 10.4 %

200 - 500 miles, 109 caches, 6.28 %

500 - 1000 miles, 59 caches, 3.40 %

> 1000 miles, 78 caches, 4.49 %

Edited by Team Madog

Nope--as of today, there are 161 within 10 miles that I haven't found, but doubt if I'll ever get to them all. The biggest problem is traffic. These are in Chicagoland, where there is a red light or stop sign on just about every corner. So, the traffic doesn't exactly zip along, and it now takes 20 30 minutes to get to the closest cache. My favorite time to go out is Sunday morning, but even that doesn't g'tee a quick trip. For example, went out this morning about 7:45, headed to the nearest cache in the area I wanted to cover, and got there around 8:10. Headed for home at 10:15 after 3 finds, 2 DNFs and 2 "hey, I already found these so why are they back in my GPS? :D "

Edited by GrateBear

I'll go with CR's formula:

10miles - zero caches :o

16.1 miles - new cache, 8 days old

21.4 miles - Cache requiring a boat :laughing:

25.5-50 miles - 43 remaining caches.

within a few months I will not be able to look at my nearby caches because it will be empty out to 50 miles. :o

hard part of living in the heart of the ozarks...

278 within 10 miles (found 101, hid 1)

I just recently started thinking of "clearing out" circles around home. Currently, I've found all 12 active caches within 2 miles and all but 27 of the 95 within 5 miles of home. Within the 5 miles radius, I don't see any obvious "don't bother" caches. My standards may differ from others since I have a 10 year old to keep in mind, but I think we have a really strong caching community in the MGS here.

I don't work exclusively / obsessively on these expanding radii, but it is one of my goals. I also want to find caches in the 5 remaining Marlyand counties I haven't done yet. And I want to complete the Howard Co. and Anne Arundel Co. ADC challenges. I just added NJ, DE, and PA to my states cached this weekend and need to get WV to complete Maryland's border states. I know NJ isn't one, but it was a bonus.

Personally, I don't think we have too many junk caches in my immediate area. Or, at least, we have enough quality ones to drown them out. We have some good parks in the region, including Patapsico Valley SP, which is huge. So we've got plenty of quality locations.

Dave

Hi!

I've found about 150 caches in the 10 miles area around my home and there are still 296 to find. Many of them are puzzles and I'm not sure if I can solve all of them ;-)

But I definitely know that there are some caches I'll never do! And so would most of you ;-)

Bye,

Christian

Edited by monsterbox

My largest Cache-Free bubble was 54km (33.5 Miles), but I took some time off and havent been able to recover with my new schedule. During the Canadian winter is a good time to clear off the caches (since few new ones are placed) but you have to contend with the snow!

It took me about 2 years, and its about 1000 finds