Latest maps

AZcachemeister

HMMMM! Well I know that there have been some recoveries in Armstrong and Clarion Counties, PA...but they are still showing blank/white?

More importantly, I am wondering if there might be archived versions of the map images available?

How cool would it be to create/see a slideshow of the GEOCAC recoveries over time?

HMMMM! Well I know that there have been some recoveries in Armstrong and Clarion Counties, PA...but they are still showing blank/white?

More importantly, I am wondering if there might be archived versions of the map images available?

How cool would it be to create/see a slideshow of the GEOCAC recoveries over time?

The central Pennsylvania counties that are still white are, from north to south, Potter, Cameron, Clearfield, and Cambria counties. The white one in the southwest corner of the state is Greene. Clarion and Armstrong counties are light orange. If you see something different, try deleting all cached images from your browser and look again.

There are no archived maps, although the data is archived. The large-scale "zoomify" map consumes a relatively large amount of disk space (10mb) and I can't afford to keep prior versions on line.

And by the way, I didn't announce it, but the June statistics are available, along with the updated maps.

Didn't seventhings say he recovered a BM in Greene county...(appears to be blank for sure)?

...betcha' it was along the state line & it was clearly in PA but is in the NGS database as in WV (a whole 'nother thread!) :D

Edited by Ernmark

...betcha' it was along the state line & it was clearly in PA but is in the NGS database as in WV (a whole 'nother thread!) :D

AW. The NGS wouldn't do that, would they? LY2604. Tri States 1942 (the easternmost benchmark in Pennsylvania) is actually in Orange County, New York. Oh, well.

Now Come on Harry, you have the wrong gripe on this one.

I know you think the tri-point is actually in the middle of the Delaware River, but a preponderance of sources disagrees. For example:

http://americasroof.com/tri-state.shtml

http://www.bjbsoftware.com/corners/pointdetail.php3?point=63

http://www.bjbsoftware.com/corners/docs/parsell.pdf

As well as the inscription on the 1882 reference monument you surely saw:

"SOUTH 64 DEG WEST 72 1/4 FEET FROM THIS IS THE TRI STATE ROCK WHICH IS THE NORTHWEST END OF THE NEW YORK AND NEW JERSEY BOUNDARY, AND THE NORTH END OF THE NEW JERSEY AND PENNSYLVANIA BOUNDARY"

The consensus of these sources is that the USGS map is just a little bit off (it has the tri-point about 50 feet off shore). What IS in the middle of the Delaware is the NY PA corner which is about 100 yards northwest of the tri-point.

Your right gripe to the NGS (yes, there is a right gripe) is that boundary monuments, by convention, are listed in the state or county which comes alphabetically first.. So LY2604 should be listed in Sussex Co. New Jersey. Now that should make you feel even more righteously indignant :lol:

Papa-Bear,

Nice that they can cite an 'unreferenced' source. :o All maps that I've seen show this as being in New York. The Pa/NJ border is the middle of the Delaware. I'm fairly certain that the NY/Pa border is also the center of the river. On the other fin, the NJ/Del border is the east side of the river, so Ft Mott, for instance, is actually in Delaware. Of course, the point might well become moot. Someone seems to be trying to pry the disk out of the monument.

Now, shall we look at the southernmost station in Vermont? It seems to be well within Massachusetts... :laughing:

...betcha' it was along the state line & it was clearly in PA but is in the NGS database as in WV (a whole 'nother thread!) :laughing:

AW. The NGS wouldn't do that, would they? LY2604. Tri States 1942 (the easternmost benchmark in Pennsylvania) is actually in Orange County, New York. Oh, well.

Now Come on Harry, you have the wrong gripe on this one.

I know you think the tri-point is actually in the middle of the Delaware River, but a preponderance of sources disagrees. For example:

http://americasroof.com/tri-state.shtml

http://www.bjbsoftware.com/corners/pointdetail.php3?point=63

http://www.bjbsoftware.com/corners/docs/parsell.pdf

As well as the inscription on the 1882 reference monument you surely saw:

"SOUTH 64 DEG WEST 72 1/4 FEET FROM THIS IS THE TRI STATE ROCK WHICH IS THE NORTHWEST END OF THE NEW YORK AND NEW JERSEY BOUNDARY, AND THE NORTH END OF THE NEW JERSEY AND PENNSYLVANIA BOUNDARY"

The consensus of these sources is that the USGS map is just a little bit off (it has the tri-point about 50 feet off shore). What IS in the middle of the Delaware is the NY PA corner which is about 100 yards northwest of the tri-point.

Your right gripe to the NGS (yes, there is a right gripe) is that boundary monuments, by convention, are listed in the state or county which comes alphabetically first.. So LY2604 should be listed in Sussex Co. New Jersey. Now that should make you feel even more righteously indignant :laughing:

I read all the documentation (And I thank you for the research!). But I remain unconvinced that TriState is actually in Pennsylvania. It might be the nearest dry land to the actually tripoint, but the boundaries are in the middle of the flow of the river. This marker is in New York.

Since MZ1193, the southernmost Vermont station, is a vertical control station with scaled coordinates, we'll have to give the NGS the benefit of the doubt until someone gets some GPS coordinates on it or otherwise obtains the ground truth.

This one seems cut and dried, especially with the '+' on topozone. The one benchmarker who logged it lists it in Bernardston, Ma. But, holograph is corret. It would take someon with a GPS to mark the actual coordinates. Sounds like a project for my next trip to Maine.