Coming to San Diego 8/4 - 8/5

Kealia

Aloha SD cachers -

I'm in town next Thursday (afternoon) overnight for some Friday meetings.

Anybody around or have any formal/informal get togethers planned? Pizza & beer?

Coming into SD airport in the afternoon and staying somewhat nearby.

Anybody?

OK the last trip was a bust but I've already got plans to be back in early August on the weekend.

It looks like I'll be in town the weekend of August 4/5 and would love to get together for a group hike (of any size). I'm not much into urban numbers runs, so I'd be looking for a nice hike out in a park. When I was down there in Feb I hiked out to Three Sisters Falls and loved it. I know there are caches along the peak out there as well, but that was no short drive either.

Plans are VERY loose right now - meaning Sat or Sunday, distance and area are all open for ideas.

Anybody want to meet up?

OK the last trip was a bust but I've already got plans to be back in early August on the weekend.

It looks like I'll be in town the weekend of August 4/5 and would love to get together for a group hike (of any size). I'm not much into urban numbers runs, so I'd be looking for a nice hike out in a park. When I was down there in Feb I hiked out to Three Sisters Falls and loved it. I know there are caches along the peak out there as well, but that was no short drive either.

Plans are VERY loose right now - meaning Sat or Sunday, distance and area are all open for ideas.

Anybody want to meet up?

Sure I might be able to go that weekend. I would recommend posting a note in the San Diego Events thread. More people watch that thread... ^_^
Thanks MM.

TrailGators - should I close this thread and take up the conversation over there?

I don't frequent that thread so I didn't want to monopolize it with my trip.

Maybe if I just posted a note there to see this thread?

Hi Kealia, don't ever worry about posting on our threads. That is what they are for! ^_^

I am taking off that evening of the 4th from work anyhow to attend the above event, so I would be in for an evening or night hike. 1st that comes to mind would be the Carveacre Wind Caves to Gaskil hike, or if a bit longer is needed then it could be continued through all the Lawson peak ones also.

Or even down into Horsethief on the loop and if a longer hike is wanted then one or two of the spurs.

Whatever is agreed upon though I would be in.

How about Mission trails. We could meet near the visitor center?

I am taking off that evening of the 4th from work anyhow to attend the above event, so I would be in for an evening or night hike. 1st that comes to mind would be the Carveacre Wind Caves to Gaskil hike, or if a bit longer is needed then it could be continued through all the Lawson peak ones also.

Or even down into Horsethief on the loop and if a longer hike is wanted then one or two of the spurs.

Whatever is agreed upon though I would be in.

You guys have waypoints or linky links so I can check out the areas you mention?

You guys have waypoints or linky links so I can check out the areas you mention?

Here are the ones for the Carveacre area Carveacre Caches, also off to east across Japatul/Lyons Valley road is the Horse Thief Canyon Area Horse Thief. I think we might be doing the Carveacre walk the weekend prior though, since the moon is full then.

Or this is one of the caches somewhat centrally located in Mission Trails Adrenaline you would have a choice of grasslands, medium hills or slightly difficult hills in this area.

I am sure others will come-up with more possibilities as we get closer to that weekend.

Or this is one of the caches somewhat centrally located in Mission Trails Adrenaline you would have a choice of grasslands, medium hills or slightly difficult hills in this area.

This area sounds good. Nice high terrain ratings - sounds like fun!

You could also look through the San Diego Consensus Favorites "linky link" :rolleyes: below and pick some caches from that list that interest you. There are some great caches on that list! :D

I've looked over that before previous trips and it was very helpful. That's what got me out to 3 Sisters, but we didn't get to the puzzle/unknown cache ;)

I wanted to leave things open, and not neccessarily pick a spot myself, so that anybody that wanted to get together could pick a spot that they haven't cached in before.

Oh, and why does every other log I read on cache pages down there mention that the finder also found a snake?!?!

You could also look through the San Diego Consensus Favorites "linky link" :rolleyes: below and pick some caches from that list that interest you. There are some great caches on that list! :D

I've looked over that before previous trips and it was very helpful. That's what got me out to 3 Sisters, but we didn't get to the puzzle/unknown cache ;)

I wanted to leave things open, and not neccessarily pick a spot myself, so that anybody that wanted to get together could pick a spot that they haven't cached in before.

There's another cache out by Three Sister's called Penny Mine that has been on my to-do list forever. You have to wade up a stream for a mile (knee deep but easy wading) to get to two abandoned Gold Mines. :D Just throwing out another idea. There is a very good chance that the inland temps will be in the upper 90s/low 100s at that time... ;) A cold stream might feel good! :) Edited by TrailGators

I think there will be a few people to go along on a hike for those days, and you also have the option of the Event near Oceanside on Sunday, depending on when you have to be at the airport? If interested in the Event and don't want to drive up there from SD, I normally have a seat available in my vehicle, if you don't mind riding with the Piglit9.

Let us know what type of caches you might find enjoyable, there is a whole valley of puzzles Spring Valley/Sweetwater Reservoir Puzzle area {not my thing, but others would be into it}, or myself I like the hikes in the hills.

I think Mission trails may be the place though, has most everything there and something can be worked-up in different parts of it.

You could also look through the San Diego Consensus Favorites "linky link" :D below and pick some caches from that list that interest you. There are some great caches on that list! :D

There's another cache out by Three Sister's called Penny Mine that has been on my to-do list forever. You have to wade up a stream for a mile (knee deep but easy wading) to get to two abandoned Gold Mines. ;) Just throwing out another idea. There is a very good chance that the inland temps will be in the upper 90s/low 100s at that time... :rolleyes: A cold stream might feel good! :)

:DB) Pat, Please if you ever do Penny Mine ask me Please? John did it alone and I'm still mad at him about it! please? Jodi

I think there will be a few people to go along on a hike for those days, and you also have the option of the Event near Oceanside on Sunday, depending on when you have to be at the airport? If interested in the Event and don't want to drive up there from SD, I normally have a seat available in my vehicle, if you don't mind riding with the Piglit9.

Let us know what type of caches you might find enjoyable, there is a whole valley of puzzles Spring Valley/Sweetwater Reservoir Puzzle area {not my thing, but others would be into it}, or myself I like the hikes in the hills.

I think Mission trails may be the place though, has most everything there and something can be worked-up in different parts of it.

I'm more of a hike in the hills guy, too.

I have meetings on Monday so I have no curfew on Sunday for sure.

I say Sunday, because it's unclear whether my better half will join me or not. If not, I'll likely come in Saturday night so I have all of Sunday to cache.

Oh, and why does every other log I read on cache pages down there mention that the finder also found a snake?!?!

Because the other half the loggers passed by one, but didn't see it!

:laughing: I missed this reply the other day.

That's why a group hike is preferred.

One person to walk in front to see the snakes before me, somebody to walk second to actually be the bite victim, and somebody to walk behind me in case we wake something up that attacks from the back.

I'm more of a hike in the hills guy, too.

I have meetings on Monday so I have no curfew on Sunday for sure.

I say Sunday, because it's unclear whether my better half will join me or not. If not, I'll likely come in Saturday night so I have all of Sunday to cache.

If Hula Bum joins you...then I am there for sure! :ninja:

You could also look through the San Diego Consensus Favorites "linky link" :ninja: below and pick some caches from that list that interest you. There are some great caches on that list! ;)

I've looked over that before previous trips and it was very helpful. That's what got me out to 3 Sisters, but we didn't get to the puzzle/unknown cache :D

There's another cache out by Three Sister's called Penny Mine that has been on my to-do list forever. You have to wade up a stream for a mile (knee deep but easy wading) to get to two abandoned Gold Mines. B) Just throwing out another idea. There is a very good chance that the inland temps will be in the upper 90s/low 100s at that time... :) A cold stream might feel good! :huh:

:D:) Pat, Please if you ever do Penny Mine ask me Please? John did it alone and I'm still mad at him about it! please? Jodi

Hi Jodi, when did John do it? I promise when I go I will ask you. You do the same too! B)

You could also look through the San Diego Consensus Favorites "linky link" :ninja: below and pick some caches from that list that interest you. There are some great caches on that list! B)

I've looked over that before previous trips and it was very helpful. That's what got me out to 3 Sisters, but we didn't get to the puzzle/unknown cache :D

There's another cache out by Three Sister's called Penny Mine that has been on my to-do list forever. You have to wade up a stream for a mile (knee deep but easy wading) to get to two abandoned Gold Mines. B) Just throwing out another idea. There is a very good chance that the inland temps will be in the upper 90s/low 100s at that time... :) A cold stream might feel good! ;)

:D:) Pat, Please if you ever do Penny Mine ask me Please? John did it alone and I'm still mad at him about it! please? Jodi

Hi Jodi, when did John do it? I promise when I go I will ask you. You do the same too! B)

:huh: Hi Pat! John went solo on his birthday about 2 years ago and had a BLAST (and was totally late getting home). I will definitely ask you if I make plans to go. r/ jodi

You could also look through the San Diego Consensus Favorites "linky link" :ninja: below and pick some caches from that list that interest you. There are some great caches on that list! B)

There's another cache out by Three Sister's called Penny Mine that has been on my to-do list forever. You have to wade up a stream for a mile (knee deep but easy wading) to get to two abandoned Gold Mines. B) Just throwing out another idea. There is a very good chance that the inland temps will be in the upper 90s/low 100s at that time... :) A cold stream might feel good! ;)

:huh: Hi Pat! John went solo on his birthday about 2 years ago and had a BLAST (and was totally late getting home). I will definitely ask you if I make plans to go. r/ jodi

Deal! B) I have my old boots all ready! I would also like to visit 3 Sisters waterfalls again, but I will wait until it cools off a bit for that one....

That looks like a blast! Is it really too hot to do that?

And there it as again:"....I walked right past a rattlesnake that didn't start rattling until after I had past it. "

From the sounds of things, I should bring some Kevlar hiking pants! :ninja:

That looks like a blast! Is it really too hot to do that?

And there it as again:"....I walked right past a rattlesnake that didn't start rattling until after I had past it. "

From the sounds of things, I should bring some Kevlar hiking pants! :ninja:

If we left very early in the morning, but the day we did it, it was only in the 80's. The first week of August, it could easily be getting up to 100° that far inland . . . :)

Edit to add appropriate quote . . .

Edited by Miragee
....or this little hike. :D This one is on a Degree Confluence, so you can also get credit on the Degree Confluence Project website for doing this one! :huh: But do not want to do this one in the summer... :)

Hmmm...it looks to me like the numbers in the cache name (33 and 116) refer to low and high temperatures respectively...

...when they say "Degree Confluence" do they mean Farenheit or Celsius? :ninja:

....or this little hike. :ninja: This one is on a Degree Confluence, so you can also get credit on the Degree Confluence Project website for doing this one! :huh: But do not want to do this one in the summer... :D

Hmmm...it looks to me like the numbers in the cache name (33 and 116) refer to low and high temperatures respectively...

...when they say "Degree Confluence" do they mean Fahrenheit or Celsius? ;)

That's funny! :) That's also kind of cool how the latitude and longitude come pretty darn close to the high and low temps out there. :) Edited by TrailGators

Ok, my trip is confirmed so I Just need to book the travel.

Is anybody confirmed to do the Mission Trail hike?

I would likely be coming in Sat night so I'm available anytime on Sunday. Meetings aren't until Monday so I have all day to play!

(I may drive out to Imperial County Sat evening to pick up a cache in that county. Likely just the easiest one I can find once I cross the county line as I try to pick off California counties)

I would likely be coming in Sat night so I'm available anytime on Sunday. Meetings aren't until Monday so I have all day to play!

(I may drive out to Imperial County Sat evening to pick up a cache in that county. Likely just the easiest one I can find once I cross the county line as I try to pick off California counties)

I was going up to Oceanside on Sunday morning to do those two events and some of the caches in the park. If you are interested in a late afternoon/early evening hike into MTRP, I still have to find the Adrenaline cache {snakes should be just getting up about that time :lol: } and would be willing to go up and over one or both of the Fortunas with whoever wants to go.

I was going up to Oceanside on Sunday morning to do those two events and some of the caches in the park. If you are interested in a late afternoon/early evening hike into MTRP, I still have to find the Adrenaline cache {snakes should be just getting up about that time :) } and would be willing to go up and over one or both of the Fortunas with whoever wants to go.

that's a lotta steps up south fortuna to get to that cache. however, 10pm was a great time to find that one. great view of the gorge and had full moonlight.

Ok, my plan is to come into San Diego at 5:00pm (flight), get my rental car and then head out to Imperial County to grab at least one cache in that county and maybe a few on the way. I'm going to check out the Sandy Creek Cowboy caches as suggested.

Sunday, I'll have to decide if I'm going to hit the Mission Trails area or possibly head up to the event. One gives me the chance to do some hiking, the other gives me the chance to meet some folks and make contacts that may be able to join me on future trips......

Ok, my plan is to come into San Diego at 5:00pm (flight), get my rental car and then head out to Imperial County to grab at least one cache in that county and maybe a few on the way. I'm going to check out the Sandy Creek Cowboy caches as suggested.

Sunday, I'll have to decide if I'm going to hit the Mission Trails area or possibly head up to the event. One gives me the chance to do some hiking, the other gives me the chance to meet some folks and make contacts that may be able to join me on future trips......

Why not both <_< , I am going up to Oceanside for the events and the caches in the park, leaving about 06:30 from SD and returning about 14:00 or so back this way. Then some dinner and off to MTRP to do "The Adrenaline Cache" near early evening. If you are interested in MTRP, we can walk the ridges of South and North Fortuna after dinner 18:00 start or so. Should be some decent views of the sunset to go along with the hike, if I remember right there is an ocean view from up there.

I'll take you up on the offer to do MTRP - that sounds great.

I think I've decided to just settle in on Saturday night. Sunday morning I'm going to head out early to pick up a couple of caches in Imperial County, and then on the way back stop and get the oldest cache in California.

I'll PM you my phone number, as I'd love to join you for the sunset hike!

Thanks!

Sounds good, we'll say a 6PM meet time over at the Visitor's center which is located at the interesection of Mission Gorge Road and Father Junipero Serra Trail; there is a parking area just outside the FJST gate for when they close it. We can walk west and the up the south side of South Fortuna and over to North Fortuna, or whatever you feel like after your day of caching out east. If we go up the Fortunas we should be up there at sunset. Also there was a fire there today, anyone know what if anything may have been affected?

Edited by CTYankee9
I'll take you up on the offer to do MTRP - that sounds great.

I think I've decided to just settle in on Saturday night. Sunday morning I'm going to head out early to pick up a couple of caches in Imperial County, and then on the way back stop and get the oldest cache in California.

I'll PM you my phone number, as I'd love to join you for the sunset hike!

Thanks!

The oldest cache is a good choice. I was just there on my MT bike last weekend. It's a beautiful area for hiking or biking. Just don't forget your Adventure pass if you park on Sunrise Hwy because those Park Rangers are a little anal about it.

(....waits patiently for the excuse why not, now that he knows HB isn't coming.....)

Thanks for being patient...it took me a while! :unsure:

Seriously though, it ends up being a conflicting weekend. We will be at the Harvest Crusade up in Anaheim on Saturday evening, and I've got a family commitment at my sisters house in Mission Viejo on Sunday.

The biggest bummer is we have been talking about getting the "Oldest Cache" recently as well. I would have grabbed that with you for sure!

(You can tell HB she can change her plans now...I won't be able to change mine!) :laughing: