Buying a Magellan Maestro 3100 ?

I currently have a garmin legend. I use it on my motorcycle and its very hard to read.

Right now, the Magellan Maestro 3100 is on sale for 199 bucks! Here is a link to it http://www.magellangps.com/products/produc...amp;prodID=1882

Man thats cheap. But I think I see one problem that would drive me insane. I like to make my routes on my PC for my motorcycle trips. I want to input the routes into the GPS. It looks like the only way I can make a route on the GPS is to input an address and have it make a route for me.

And 750,000 POI sucks. I want more. But for 200 bucks I could get over that. My primary use of this thing is following a route that I planned ahead of time and stopping at certain POI's that I pick ahead of time.

Will this unit do this?

I would really like to stick to garmin but I don't see anything they have that would work for 200-250$

I am new to the GPS units like this. Hand helds I am up on but these automotive ones are kicking my butt.

Edited by arcticcatmatt

I currently have a garmin legend. I use it on my motorcycle and its very hard to read.

Right now, the Magellan Maestro 3100 is on sale for 199 bucks! Here is a link to it http://www.magellangps.com/products/produc...amp;prodID=1882

Man thats cheap. But I think I see one problem that would drive me insane. I like to make my routes on my PC for my motorcycle trips. I want to input the routes into the GPS. It looks like the only way I can make a route on the GPS is to input an address and have it make a route for me.

And 750,000 POI sucks. I want more. But for 200 bucks I could get over that. My primary use of this thing is following a route that I planned ahead of time and stopping at certain POI's that I pick ahead of time.

Will this unit do this?

I would really like to stick to garmin but I don't see anything they have that would work for 200-250$

I am new to the GPS units like this. Hand helds I am up on but these automotive ones are kicking my butt.

I am actually looking into getting a Maestro 4050. Anyways about the unit you are looking at can do it. Magellan will make the route according to how you select like by shortest time, shortest distance, toll roads, etc. So you make the route now if you want to go an alternative route you can either exclude the road it is choosing and hopefully it will choose that road and do a re route or select some POI along the route you want it to travel. Basically not giving the magellan a choice on which way you want to go. Its a bit of a pain but it works. I do the second method on my 6000T that I own now.

Storm180

^ Thank you for the reply. I was thinking about the method you mentioned. I also wonder about how long of a route I can create.

Your looking at the 4050? That looks like a nice unit.. I looked at it but its 2.5 times the price as the 3100.

I would love to be able to create a "waypoint" for geocaches and put them into the unit, drive to the nearest place, then use my garmin legend to find the cache. It looks like the only way to do that is to create a POI as close to the cache as possible right on the unit.

Does anyone know what the least expensive garmin unit is that will allow me to make a route in mapsource and input it into the unit is?

I have decided against this unit.

It was the low 750,000 POI and when you go off route plan it directs you back instead of calculating a new route (making it junk for detours).

I am now looking at the Garmin C330 or C320. I think them are 50$ more.

Edited by arcticcatmatt