Quoddy takes on the Long Trail in Vermont

KBer

A few notes I think might be of interest:

I lost 17 pounds even though I was eating huge meals for two at beakfast and at dinner with many snacks in between. The energy output was just phenominal.

I had no blisters on the entire hike, even though many days were spent walking in soaking wet shoes and socks. The Inov-8 trail shoes, Smartwool Adrenaline LT low socks, and the daily use of Hydropel did their job.

The selected gear worked to a "T" but there were a few problems at the very end. The ultra lightweight carbon fiber pole upper shafts cracked at around 260 miles, but were still useable (being replaced by manufacturer). The 22 oz shoes were not designed to go much more than 300 miles and began losing a few lugs at around 225 miles.

For anyone contemplating doing the Long Trail. The section from Lincoln Gap to Johnson (about 80 miles or so) is absolutely brutal and beyond my ability to describe.

For an excellent new book written in great style check out a new backpacking adventure book about walking to Canada along Vermont's Long Trail by Jan Leitschuh called "The Ordinary Adventurer".

Congratulations John, great job. As I'm sure you know, a lot of people use the LT as a shake-down hike for the Appalachian trail. SpringerMountain in March?

I met an couple that had done the AT last year just after they had begun the LT north of Killington (where thsy had split off last year). I saw them off and on for the next 60 miles before they reached the "tough" part. At that point after a few bad falls they left the trail saying, "This trail isn't for us". I think that tells you something about the LT.

My main extended trail interest is the Pacific Crest Trail, but I think if I left for over five months to do it, I'd be coming home to an empty house... and no Quoddy.

Very cool and congrats! Thinking of doing my first thru hike on the Horseshoe Trail in SEPA. Have never done any long distance hikes (Horseshoe is only 140 miles) and hoping this will give me an idea of what the AT could be like. Hoping to someday thru hike the AT after I retire from work.