Quoddy takes on the Long Trail in Vermont

KBer

Go for it, John! The lower half if probably easier, being also the AT. The only problem we had with that section was a nasty thunderstorm on Glastonbury Mountain. Great shelter, but it only sleeps six. Must have been fifteen or more of us sleeping there that night.

(Don't nobody check out Harry Dolphin's 1995 Until I'm Done page! I quit after 1024 miles and ten years. Mount Madison did me in. I just wasn't having fun anymore.)

Good luck, John, and post lots of pictures!

Thanks everyone. Note that I'll be hitting the trail at the Quebec border very late in the day on July 30th or at first light on the 31st.

I decided to do the trail North to South instead of normal South to North. This will give the bulk of the early August AT thru hikers the chance to clear the area. I'd originally wanted to do it South to North since the southern portion has fewer really high mountains and it would give me the opportunity to build up to the spectacular north. Anyway, I'm hitting the very frequent and difficult "biggies" early in the trek. It will be "make or break" time.

BTW, Harry, you might see in the journal that I've already done the area you mentioned. I'll be re-doing all the stretches in the south that I've previously done. I live only 15 to 20 minutes from the southern terminus of the LT (AT), so will be close to home at the finish. Starting right at the Quebec border marker and ending in Williamstown, Massachusetts. Getting to, and exiting from these points adds almost 10 miles to the hike.

Would you be interested in company for a few days along the route?

I sure would. Moral support in the north would be especially welcome. Any particular spot in mind... like Camel's Hump?

Here's part of an email I received today: "Quoddy, A friend & I just hiked from Jay Pass to Journey's End. He was doing his last section of the LT, I was doing my first. All I can say is: Wow! That trail is tough. When the guide says "steep," it means it."

Would you be interested in company for a few days along the route?

I sure would. Moral support in the north would be especially welcome. Any particular spot in mind... like Camel's Hump?

Here's part of an email I received today: "Quoddy, A friend & I just hiked from Jay Pass to Journey's End. He was doing his last section of the LT, I was doing my first. All I can say is: Wow! That trail is tough. When the guide says "steep," it means it."

I was thinking more like the southern end. Maybe from Stratton to Rt 9 or something like that. I have no idea if I can, but depending on the dates perhaps I can do it.

I was thinking more like the southern end. Maybe from Stratton to Rt 9 or something like that. I have no idea if I can, but depending on the dates perhaps I can do it.

Ahhh... you picked a relatively easy stretch (done most of it before). It is a nice, remote area though. My best guess for arrival at Stratton is sometime close to August 21st or 22nd, but it's a bit early to tell. Lots of variables, i.e., weather, me, and if I make a major stop off at Rutland to enjoy the first annual "Long Trail Festival", which just happens to coincide with the time I'm passing closest.

(email coming your way)

Quoddy, do you pass anywheres in Southeastern PA? Let me know, I can meet up with you for a portion of the trail.

The Long Trail runs from Quebec to Williamstown, Massachusetts (near the Vermont Border). That's where I'm stopping. Thanks for the offer, though.

Will you be alone, or with a 4-legged friend?

I'll be alone. This will be the first time, ever, that the REAL Quoddy and I have been separated for more than two days. It's going to be a real difficulty.

Here's a couple of photos that show some of the obsticles that a dog would face. A few have done it, but in the north it isn't easy.

camelshump.jpg

foreheaddescent.jpg

God Speed.

With that said, I have to ask--Just What the hell is that bottom picture, I got vertigo just looking at it.

That's part of the trail which is (normally) the decent off of the "forehead" of Mount Mansfield (elevation 4393'). In my case heading southbound, I'll be going up this portion.

A photo from up on top of Mount Mansfield:

mansfield.jpg

Those "obstacles" look somewhat terrifying. I'd like to meet the dog that can climb the ladder, that is some special animal.

But at least the ladder gives you something to cling to. Are you scrambling up or down the rocky incline in the top picture? Or going horizontal? Does it get any worse than this?

These pictures make our Saturday climb seem pretty tame.

Best of luck and be careful. I'll be following your travels vicariously.

Are you scrambling up or down the rocky incline in the top picture? Or going horizontal? Does it get any worse than this?

The incline in the top picture is the climb (going southbound) to the top of Camel's Hump which I hope to reach by day nine or ten. The other is the climb up toward the top of Mount Manfield (highest mountain in Vermont) which I should reach around day seven. From what I've gathered there are some very scary narrow ledges and other obsticles in the same area.

I had my first disappointment today when I weighed the five day food supplies and fuel needed for three stretches (the other resupplies are for three days and are for several spots in the high mountains). It was almost three pounds above my original highest estimate which may mean that I'll have to switch packs. The weight with my gear, food, fuel, and water will put me just above the 22 pounds I was hoping for. The other pack will handle the weight much better, but on it's own is 2 pounds heavier than the original.

I will be leaving home on the 30th and be dropped off at the access trail. I'll then hike the couple of miles and 2000' elevation gain to near the starting point on the Quebec border late that afternoon. The next morning I'll be starting the actual Long Trail. Whenever service is available from on top of the mountains I'll be sending journal entries and photos via Blackberry. My biggest concern of the entire hike is blisters. I've got to take it really slow in the northern half, stay rested, alert, and strong... and most of all have fun.

This is awesome! I just had to wish you the best of luck on your journey!

I dream about long distance hiking one day. Right now, work beckons, kids need me, and I'm too far away from retirement, not to mention way out of shape. :D

Will definitely be following your trail journey. Last year while doing the CT portion of the AT, I met thru hikers whose trail journal I also lived vicariously through...all the way to Katahdin. Remember, your family and friends will be watching your TJ with bated breath.

katydid

Also, when is the Long Trail Festival, that sounds like fun, too.