Pay It Forward

I was watching a film the other night called Pay It Forward, the title meaning that if someone does you a favour then you have to "pay it forward" by doing three other people a favour, and so on. I realised that I had been done a favour by being introduced to caching, and quite coincidentally I have passed it onto three caching teams: TomTom's Army, HogsTB and Sonatellas, the last one being my sister and her family who some of you will have met already. :rolleyes:

I know we've run a similar thread before, but there are different people contributing to the forums now ... how many people have other cachers introduced to caching? Liane :lol:

Oh I love that film Liane!

I introduced my parents (the Sandiway Searchers) which means that family dinners get very boring for my sister - who is a non believer!!

I also introduced my two best friends - both of whom have accounts, but have only done a couple of caches with me, and have not yet fully got the bug.

I was watching a film the other night called Pay It Forward, the title meaning that if someone does you a favour then you have to "pay it forward" by doing three other people a favour, and so on. I realised that I had been done a favour by being introduced to caching, and quite coincidentally I have passed it onto three caching teams: TomTom's Army, HogsTB and Sonatellas, the last one being my sister and her family who some of you will have met already. :(

I know we've run a similar thread before, but there are different people contributing to the forums now ... how many people have other cachers introduced to caching? Liane :D

I have introduced five people to geocaching, only one of them so far has actually taken it up as a hobby [monki] and has now overtaken my find rate, as he travels the country through work he does the odd cache in his lunch hour.

Two of them (My Brothers-In-Laws) go with me occasionaly, and two form work think its a great idea and is going to try and find one with the aid of his tom tom (??) and another is looking to get a gpsr, but will probably go out on a hunt with me before doing that.

Nearly everyone I mention geocaching registers some interest in it, except one of my mates who thinks we are freaks :o so me and [monki] take great delight chatting about caching while he rolls his eyes and then makes a dry comment.

who thinks we are freaks :o

My brother inlaw falls into that category...

However, I may be a hyporite.... I remember about 4 years ago talking to my ex's sister about letterboxing, and as I remember, my response was "Who in their right mind would go running around the countryside looking for stuff in tupperware boxes!!"

Edited by HazelS

Hmmm I can't really answer this easily as we've met many muggles who have got in our way whilst caching, or we thought they were cachers as they were right on the spot of the cache....................we've got talking and they've got really interested and decided to look it up when they got home - so we'll never know if they took it up or not.

But I have got a couple of friends who are teetering on taking the plunge! :o

The book is soooo much better than the film, always the case. And I even emailed Catherine Ryan Hyde (I think thats her name) and she emailed back a lovely note. Very very nice.

As for caching, everyone we take really enjoys themselves when they come with us, but no one ever takes it up :o

I am a Simply Paulite though it was sometime after. I first showed ‘Fat Bloke’ and ‘The Last Hussar’s’ the joy of finding a box (plastic) on a stag weekend in York. It was not too easy to convince them that we should not drink all day but have a break to hunt Tupperware! They accompanied me to a cache up by the Navesmire and stood a suitable ‘we’re not with him’ distance away as I rummaged under a bush (Elder) and retrieved the cache. (Plenty of room for innuendo with stag weekends and caching!)

They have both taken the game up since with varying degrees of enthusiasm.

As soon as I heard about caching via a friend in America, I told the Dancing Samurais, (and Tinkerbell of course) who went straight out and found a few, and are now racing ahead past their 700th cache while I still try to reach 200.

Some friends stayed with me over Easter and we went caching, their 11 year old son is now hooked (Bob the Great) and he caches with their tomtom!! He has now found 42 and has a real eye for a good hide. :D

We have met a few people on our travels who have shown an interest but will never know whether they signed up or not. :D

Well, Firstly was my partner. Although she was 'the reluctant other' for a while she finally took her own name.

Then, shortly after I started was my parents. Camping in the New Forest together I took them to do the lovely Sophies Choice and they were quickly hooked. They in turn have got my Aunt & Uncle, Neighbour and colleague out and about.

Then I've got my partners colleague who are shortly to buy their first GPSr.

So at a 1:5 ratio the term Muggle might soon be a rarity.

I introduced my Mum - Skipalong and also my grandaughters who now go under their own name of Pumpkin Kidz.

I also have friends that like walking and come out with me but do not want to sign up or get their own Gps - however I am off to the Isle of Wight soon to visit friends and the female half is pretty keen so I will be showing her a few caches while I am there and hopefully she will have fun and then join in.

Laughalot :P

Westie Walker took me ole yellow one and then proceeded to find 500+ caches in 6 months - run rate of 3 per day. Now he's challenging me that he will double my cache count in the next 6 months.

Likely he will do it - but I know he still needs me for the maths :angry::D:D

Meet in Fleet, it can't be Beat 17/8/2007

douglasf

I introduced my son Caelash but he got bored after 10 caches, I introduced a couple of work mates - PT man - who usually caches with me as he does not have a GPS yet, and Samsquirrel who has just started - has a gps but has not had the chance to get out.

I have introduced my daughters boyfriend 'The T man' (a name she hates). He saw an article about geocaching on 'Country file' and as soon as my daughter mentioned that I was a cacher he begged me to take him out - I took him to 2 of mine. He has yet to buy a GPS but managed to find one near his home without :angry:

I also introduced an American work collegue - Vanasdj - who has yet to find any.

I have explained the game to many but have no idea if they took it up though - at least they have not mentioned it to me. :D