Cave Cache

While flying my ultralight over a remote desert area in Eastern Oregon I spotted a cave opening. I marked it on the GPS and later went to visit it with some friends. We were able to drive to within 1.1 miles on a road suitable for a high clearance vehicle. The cave is on BLM land and there are no trails to it. We explored the cave and found that it goes in about 1/2 mile. Near the far end of the cave is a marking with a name and the date 1928 so it was obviously known to someone. I could find no reference to it on TOPO maps, BLM maps, etc..

I'm considering putting a cache at the far end of the cave, or maybe it would be better to put a cache near the mouth? I'd be interested in hearing ideas for placing a cache at or in the cave.

BTW the cave is a "lava tube" and is quite safe as caves go. There is only one long passage way and no places where one would have to squeeze through small openings, although there are a couple of crawl through places.

Big Buzzard

I think putting one at the back of the cave would be an excellent idea...provided you are certain there is only one way in and out of the cave and no side passages to get lost in. You should also include on the cache page that cachers should bring multiple reliable light sources.

If I remember correctly the general rule of cavers is at least 4 people and three different light sources PER PERSON. Of course that might be a little overboard for a simple in and out type cave, but I'd still recommend two people and two light sources.

Of course the coordinates you use will have to be at the entrance since the GPSr's won't work inside.

AK

Since as mentioned the GPS will only get you to the mouth, maybe set up an offset with distances and compass bearings to the actual container. Otherwise a good description would be enough. There is a cache here in Kentucky 100 foot down a cave shaft, and requires repelling and ascending with climbing gear. (Plunge Extreme is the name.)

Since as mentioned the GPS will only get you to the mouth, maybe set up an offset with distances and compass bearings to the actual container. Otherwise a good description would be enough. There is a cache here in Kentucky 100 foot down a cave shaft, and requires repelling and ascending with climbing gear. (Plunge Extreme is the name.)

:rolleyes: Thought that sounded cool went to read page and its MOC. Don't understand why I would have thought a five star cache would have so few visitors any way why make it MOC.

Hey Big Buzzard sounds like a great idea I am not sure if I would want to walk the whole distance along the tube with out seeing what it was like but I am sure there are some who would rush to do it. :lol:

Pity I don't live closer a lava tube would be really cool to show my boys.

If I remember correctly the general rule of cavers is at least 4 people and three different light sources PER PERSON. Of course that might be a little overboard for a simple in and out type cave, but I'd still recommend two people and two light sources.

AK

java script:emoticon(':rolleyes:', 'smid_24')

:lol:

The idea of cave cacheing is not for the fainthearted. I took a Policeman with me to a limestone cave in a quarry in Tasmania about 30 years ago. This chap needed to edge his way into the cave though an angled slot about two feet wide for about 12 feet into a larger gallery. He got about 6 feet in when he froze in panic. It took me about two hours to get him to relax and become reasonable again to move back out, he was still in full light when this happened.

The advice above about party size (4) and lights (3 each) is very sound - as cave rescues happen several times each year in New Zealand. Dark underground entombment is one of the worst fears we can have.

Arahura

It may not be relevant, but I'll mention that one of Florida's largest land managers (state forestry) specifically prohibits caches in caves. Your reviewer or your state association would know if there are any restrictions on cave caches by BLM in that district. Likely not, but me, I'd ask first, not place and hope.

The general rules for caving are helmet, three sources of light, never go alone, and tell someone where you are going and when you plan to return.

The BLM will let you know if the cave is approprate for a cache when you apply for the permit. Hope this helps.

While flying my ultralight over a remote desert area in Eastern Oregon I spotted a cave opening. I marked it on the GPS and later went to visit it with some friends. We were able to drive to within 1.1 miles on a road suitable for a high clearance vehicle. The cave is on BLM land and there are no trails to it. We explored the cave and found that it goes in about 1/2 mile. Near the far end of the cave is a marking with a name and the date 1928 so it was obviously known to someone. I could find no reference to it on TOPO maps, BLM maps, etc..

I'm considering putting a cache at the far end of the cave, or maybe it would be better to put a cache near the mouth? I'd be interested in hearing ideas for placing a cache at or in the cave.

BTW the cave is a "lava tube" and is quite safe as caves go. There is only one long passage way and no places where one would have to squeeze through small openings, although there are a couple of crawl through places.

Big Buzzard

Big Buzzard -

How far out in Eastern Oregon??? Do it, do it, do it!!!! And (please) send me or post the coordinates when you get it done. I'd make a trip over there (from PDX) just to do it. :D:D:D woo hoo - splunking & caching!!

Edited by TrekkingTurtles

The general rules for caving are helmet, three sources of light, never go alone, and tell someone where you are going and when you plan to return.

The BLM will let you know if the cave is approprate for a cache when you apply for the permit. Hope this helps.

There is no permit to get. Geocaching is an allowed and appropriate use of BLM lands. Caves that need protection have protection. Well they do here anyway.

The Forest Service, the BLM, and private grotto organizations all know where the caves are, and they're not telling. If you bring enough visitors to a cave, BLM will install a gate and lock us all out. That's what happened to the cache in Skeleton Cave just east of Bend.

Generally if you belong to the local Grotto you can get access to the caves easy enough. You just have to plan ahead. It keeps out the riff raff.

You may not even need to belong to the grotto.

Big Buzzard

Different reviewers may have different ideas about it, but I recently put out one near a cave and was told by the reviewer that as long as it wasn't in the cave, it was ok.

I've been in many caves, but personally don't think that it's a great idea - there are caves in my area with gases that could kill you (and some of them are not blocked with bat cages). A shift in the bedrock from an earthquake may expose the end of the cave to underground pockets of gases.

It's not possible to restrict a cave cache to only trained spelunkers.

One reason cavers frown on cave caches is because most natural caves are very sensitive ecosystems, and contain formations that are extremely fragile, and of course irreplaceable. Lava tubes were formed differently than limestone caves, and may not be as "fragile" (I don't have any experience with them myself).

When cave locations become public knowledge, the public almost always ends up harming them -- either intentionally or not. Broken formations, interfering with hibernating bats or other cave dwellers, litter, spraypaint -- it happens all too often. And it only takes one idiot to completely destroy a cave for everyone. Caves don't heal. It takes seconds to apply spray paint, and hours to remove it. A formation that took thousands of years to grow can be broken in an instant -- and then it's gone for good.

Obviously some caves are much more sensitive than others. Do some research on the cave you found, see whether it contains anything of significant value that might be harmed if a cache were in there. Talk to some local cavers and see how they feel. There might be absolutely nothing wrong with a cache in that cave, or there might be a lot more to the picture then you realize.

The National Speleological Society (www.caves.org) might be able to provide you with more info on that specific cave, and can certainly give you info on how to safely explore it, as well as put you in contact with cavers in your area.