1st Geocoin

itsme_timd

Hi folks,

I got my first geocoin in the mail today, 2nd if you count my LizardToadz coin. I got a new and shiny GA Geocachers 2007 coin - it's very cool. I have a couple more on the way that I won from eBay.

Here's where I'm stuck, I feel like Gollum from LOTR.

We wants it, we needs it. Must have the precious. They stole it from us. Sneaky little hobbitses. Wicked, tricksy, false!

I don't want to part with my coins!!! :rolleyes: I don't want to put them in a cache, I want to keep them all... for.... myself. Anyone else have that problem?

I guess in the future I'll need to get 2 of any new coins I get, that would make it much easier to set one free... :lol:

I 'thought' I was only going to go after coins in these 3 themes: Georgia, Dogs and Christian. However there are a lot of really cool coins out there. Maybe I won't limit myself TOO much.

Edited by itsme_timd

Tim, it's too bad you have that wedding on Saturday. We'd love to see you at the Lucky 7s event. We're all enablers you know :rolleyes:

I guess it's my own fault for having friends that aren't geocachers. :lol:

Isn't the meet in middle GA next weekend, I'm pretty sure I could make that.

Tim, it's too bad you have that wedding on Saturday. We'd love to see you at the Lucky 7s event. We're all enablers you know :lol:

I guess it's my own fault for having friends that aren't geocachers. B)

Isn't the meet in middle GA next weekend, I'm pretty sure I could make that.

Yep there are 2 events next weekend one is the GGA meeting in Macon on Saturday and the Premier Geocoin Race Launch Event on Sunday in Griffin.

We will be at both of those events and will help enable you to total geocoin addiction....lol :laughing::rolleyes:B)

Tim, it's too bad you have that wedding on Saturday. We'd love to see you at the Lucky 7s event. We're all enablers you know :rolleyes:

Hey we have a wedding in Atlanta that day too...but you better believe I will have my cell and if time prevails I will find out how to get to the event as quick as possible!

Hi everyone, my name is Craig and I am a geocoin addict. I have been collecting for a year and I find it hard to let my coins go. I have managed to release some of them, but not many. From now on I will endeavor to release more.

Hi Craig .... My name is Dan and I too am a geocoin addict. I started by seeing one of Dorkfishes 2006 coins and thought it was cool and knew that I had to have one.... it was all downhill from there!!! I started to buy 2 coins and send 1 out into caches, but did not have too much luck with them staying in the game. I still place some, but I keep most of them for myself.

Hey itsme_timd - I am too from GA and just got started collecting coins. The GGA coin was my second coin right behind my CVCachers coins. I ordered one other online but havent activated it yet, and I have tried to stay away from Ebay due to elevated pricing, but its hard with all the coins out there.

I am trying to make plans to be at the Macon GGA event coming up since its pretty close to Columbus, hope to see all of you there.

It all began with the Georgia 2005 coin in the late Spring of 2005 and went downhill at lighting speed from there. And to think I used to only collect personals, Georgia and Pennsylvania coins back then. Personals were not trackable yet and the only coin with an icon was Moun10bike!

Edited by AtlantaGal

Ok... all this talk of coins...

I think this could be dangerous for me!

Our family has just started caching and we're bit by the bug, hard!

The coins sound really interesting, I don't suppose that there's a central catalog anywhere that you can look at which would make it a lot easier!

We're interested in Sweden, Siberian Huskies, caching with kids, and Christian coins if anyone could direct us in the right direction!

Much appreciated, especially for good Christian ones, Hubby is studying to be a priest in the Swedish Church here (Evangelical Lutheran) any and all religions are of interest!

TIA!

We got into geocoins (mostly) because we've always loved travelbugs. As far as putting geocoins out to travel, we've found that the more you put out to travel, the less you worry about them. :o I don't have an exact count, but I think we have close to 300 geocoins out travelling. It's really wonderful to watch them move around and to look at the pictures people post to their logs. If you take the time to tag them properly, they really do travel quite well. We have quite a few that have over 10,000 miles on them, and a couple over the 20k mark. Look at the 3 year adventure this one went on before finally going missing:

http://www.geocaching.com/map/bugtrack.asp?tid=43808

Over 35,000 miles in less than three years. That's pretty cool.

--Marky

We got into geocoins (mostly) because we've always loved travelbugs. As far as putting geocoins out to travel, we've found that the more you put out to travel, the less you worry about them. :o I don't have an exact count, but I think we have close to 300 geocoins out travelling. It's really wonderful to watch them move around and to look at the pictures people post to their logs. If you take the time to tag them properly, they really do travel quite well. We have quite a few that have over 10,000 miles on them, and a couple over the 20k mark. Look at the 3 year adventure this one went on before finally going missing:

--Marky

How do you tag them properly?

Here's where I'm stuck, I feel like Gollum from LOTR.

We wants it, we needs it. Must have the precious. They stole it from us. Sneaky little hobbitses. Wicked, tricksy, false!

I don't want to part with my coins!!! :D I don't want to put them in a cache, I want to keep them all... for.... myself. Anyone else have that problem?

I guess in the future I'll need to get 2 of any new coins I get, that would make it much easier to set one free... :o

Welcomes to our world. The world of geocoin addicts. Yous is welcome to be a coin addict too! :(

Ive just bought one and before its arrived im already thinking of buying another! Im amazed at how cheap they are. Im not going to keep my coins though, im gona let em wander. If anyone wants to send me some surprises i would be very happy indeed =)

We got into geocoins (mostly) because we've always loved travelbugs. As far as putting geocoins out to travel, we've found that the more you put out to travel, the less you worry about them. B) I don't have an exact count, but I think we have close to 300 geocoins out travelling. It's really wonderful to watch them move around and to look at the pictures people post to their logs. If you take the time to tag them properly, they really do travel quite well. We have quite a few that have over 10,000 miles on them, and a couple over the 20k mark. Look at the 3 year adventure this one went on before finally going missing:

--Marky

For coins I'm releasing for travel, I drill a hole in them (reducing the collectibility factor and thus making them less desireable) and attach a laminated goal tag and a travelbuddy tag with aircraft cable (making it pretty much impossible to remove the coin without wire cutters). When you see them, there is no doubt that they are meant to travel and not to be kept.

--Marky

Hi Tim! I'm Christy and my son John (8)and I are also addicted to coins. We've been geocaching for a total of 2 weeks and we've found 1 geocoin and 2 travel bugs. My son thought the coin was so cool--he wanted to keep it...I explained to him that it was someone elses coin and we were just helping it travel. Then we promptly went home and ordered 4 (none of them are here yet). We are totally addicted to this forum and the coins are the icing on the cake! Happy caching!

I have a bet going now for a supper. Seems my caching buddy from the Big city doesn't think I can go for very long without buying another coin... B)

Her and I have been busy buying for quite a while, and I too do not think she can resist "purchasing" any of these shiney new coins that are being released continuiously. I saw several today that was sooooo tempting.

Trades are ok, previous deal are ok but new deals means one of gets to eat at his or her choice of places for a meal.

This is a win win though...one gets to eat and gain weight...the other gets to look at a new shiney geocoin and taunt the other while they eat. B)

Addicting me thinks so too. B)

For coins I'm releasing for travel, I drill a hole in them (reducing the collectibility factor and thus making them less desireable) and attach a laminated goal tag and a travelbuddy tag with aircraft cable (making it pretty much impossible to remove the coin without wire cutters). When you see them, there is no doubt that they are meant to travel and not to be kept.

--Marky

I can attest to that - there is definitely no mistaking that a coin that Marky has got his hands on is for anything other than traveling!! It's like he is giving his coins a life sentence! B)

Did you manage to get a hold of a dragon fly? Haven't seen that one - really nice!

Oh yes - you guessed it - Addicts!!!! of the Kiwi kind :laughing:

We have number of activated personal coins that we generously allow cachers we meet to 'discover'. We both have a "caching from dawn to dusk" geocoin made into a key ring(that is quite fun), so we can show it off as we travel. This coin is quite special to us, as we successfully won a FTF by travelling from Mid Canterbury to South Canterbury, back home to the computer, then to North Canterbury to retreive the final co-ords which happened to be just couple of km from home - literally from dawn to dusk. Managed to fit in eating, walking the dog and a couple of games of 10 pin bowling (to keep the kids happy). :o

Did you manage to get a hold of a dragon fly? Haven't seen that one - really nice!

No, not yet... There's one up on eBay now but I'm trying to keep myself from bidding higher, it's up to $18.50 and since I've already purchased 3 other coins this week (not to mention a new Garmin 60CSX :laughing: ) I figured I better hold off.

That is still one of my favorites I've seen, though.

No, not yet... There's one up on eBay now but I'm trying to keep myself from bidding higher, it's up to $18.50 and since I've already purchased 3 other coins this week (not to mention a new Garmin 60CSX :laughing: ) I figured I better hold off.

That is still one of my favorites I've seen, though.

Yeah, I hoping to trade for one. :laughing:

We got into geocoins (mostly) because we've always loved travelbugs. As far as putting geocoins out to travel, we've found that the more you put out to travel, the less you worry about them. :angry: I don't have an exact count, but I think we have close to 300 geocoins out travelling. It's really wonderful to watch them move around and to look at the pictures people post to their logs. If you take the time to tag them properly, they really do travel quite well. We have quite a few that have over 10,000 miles on them, and a couple over the 20k mark. Look at the 3 year adventure this one went on before finally going missing:

--Marky

--Marky

Thanks-

Someone at an event told me about drilling a hole, which I started doing as well. It has helped tremendously, but I have still lost a couple of coins. I know that there is no fool proof way, but anything that we can do to keep the coins in the caches and out of others pockets.

Thanks,

PSU Fan

Well, I did it, I bought the Dragonfly coin, this is getting crazy... :ph34r:

I had too, couldn't resist. I watched them sell for $60-$70 on eBay and I jumped on one (at a lower price) when I had the chance.

'Hi, my name is Tim and I'm a geocoin addict.'

The four color dragonfly coins were only available if you buy a set of five coins - one for each color and the fifth having all four. I bought the set a while ago just to get the rainbow one, so now I have four other coins I can use for trades.

Hi my name is Sandy & I am a Geocoin addict! I have now been collecting for 1 1/2 yrs. It is all Atlanta Gals fault :o (It was one of her coins!) I really liked those travelbugs, until I saw my first coin. It has been downhill since then. I started by buying one to keep. Then I started buying 2, 1 to release & 1 to keep. Then, I started buying 3 at a time, 1 to keep, 1 to release & 1 to trade. Now sometimes I buy 4, 1 to keep, 1 to release, 1 to trade, 1 to use as a gift. When is it going to stop.............. :ph34r: